Is This Worth It?

jla

100 µW
Hey ES forum! I wondering is this a good deal
I have the opportunity to purchase a used Mongoose CX 24V450 for $50. It doesn't have batteries, but they were sla batteries anyways. If I do buy this bike I was planning to put in some lipos instead.

I've been reading ES for the past week and already planed out my first build. It was going to use a 48v 500w motor and be definitely more powerful than the mongoose, but it would have costed around $600. I saw the deal on the mongoose bike and estimated it would save me around $200.

The mongoose bike is pretty weak, but it seems like a good starter ebike.
What do you guys think. Should I buy it or not?

Here are some pics and specs
http://www.monstermotorscooter.com/m-cx24v450.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2BmLRFk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1063

That thing is goofy. Are you the size of a nine year old kid?

Chalo

Haha I get where your coming from. I guess the thought of a super cheap bike clouded my cheapskate mind. But hey for 50 bucks and new batteries it could make a pretty cool gift.

I'd buy it at that price in a heartbeat provided the motor passed a run test. But it's not a road travel ebike by any stretch of the imagination. You will still need another, more comfortable ebike for any commute longer than 2-3 miles one way.

Be a fun toy to go crazy with though, overvolt the crap outa the motor (new controller), fry it, then put in something with grunt. Off road use of course.

Hopefully you are not too big, over 150 pounds would be pushing it quite a bit. As for the physical size of it, how many of you folks have motorized a 20" wheel kids bmx bike? Those are not much bigger and you look just as funny riding one. You just make the bars taller is all. But back to the weight, that bike is not designed for riders much over 120 pounds, hence the comment about melting down the stock motor.

If that ad was your opportunity, it was local pick up anyway and not in your state.

Back