What Kits are the Fastest?

tdiggs

100 W
I want to, primarily, get a feel for the different kits that are out there as I am new to the electric conversion scene. Obviously we love speed. So what are the most powerful kits that are out there and where can you get them along with their prices?

I appreciate that link. I will thoroughly review the information. I just placed an order from daoji666 on ebay for his FXM 1000w 48v 20Ah kit because I didn't know which to buy, it seems quality information is hidden among the internet. So I joined here!

These people have a large selection. I recommend the 48V 1000W rear kit. When they have it in stock you can get on ebay for $277.90 shipped. The best buy you'll find. I've got several K miles on mine. Currently running 24s lipo at 100V charged on a 72V controller. Stock controller will only support up to 63V (15s lipo). Should get ~35mph on that.
http://www.yescomusa.com/home.php?cat=48&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=2

From your experience wesnewell, how often do they come back in stock? About 35 mph sounds sweet to me! One thing I do not understand is what exactly a "24s lipo at 100V charged on a 72V controller" means. I know what lipo is, but my knowledge of these other specifications and the controllers purpose is next to none. I am just one of those guys that likes to know as much as possible before I dive into it. Knowledge is power after all.

@mike55
I am quite pleased with the forum as well. I have gotten great information from my two topics here. Mainly from the supply of external links to quality kits and information about ebikes and their components in general.

The Yes 48v 1000w kit seems to have a faster winding than the typical 26" wheel motor kit.

Another one known to reach 30 mph on only 48v is the Aotema front hub from High Tek Bikes.

And the 9c 2806 from Grin Cyclery or the HS crystalyte motors are fast.

And the 6t Mac from Emissions Free.

But whatever winding you get, the way to go faster is overvolt baby :twisted: 8) . 24s lipo, about 90-110v will perk up any motor for awhile. Till it melts.

@auraslip
Lol, I think I can agree with that, but I will use the speed responsible. It's like when I had my motorcycle; I won't always go 0-60 in 3 seconds, but it's nice to know I can!

@dogman
I did gather that the battery mainly determines the speed and range. What exactly does '24s' and '90-110v' mean in regards to the system?
I plan on getting the Mac 6t 1000w (whatever 1000w means) motor from emissions free.

Electricrider has the HX motors for sale. They are a bit pricey though, you can get the ebikes.ca HX motor and save $400 plus dollars. Since you said that you are going to test these kits out, could you pit a Phoenix cruiser and a regular olde HS3540 on a drag strip? You know, to see if spending the extra $400 plus dollars is worth it? :mrgreen:

auraslip said:
A $1000 35mph bike will get you killed.

What auraslip said, don't cheap out on safety if you are going for speed. If you saved $1000 dollars by cheaping out on your bike, you might be spending a lot more money in the Hospital.
Good luck! :wink:

Kits are never fast, most will give you about legal speed. Yet, any kit has the potential to be faster with higher voltage. DD hubs can be overvolted to a much faster top speed than geared hubs. If you are serious about building for high speed, you have to forget about kits. Select the bike and components for that purpose, and upgrade to achieve your goal.

Auraslip, may I steal your phrase for my signature?

A decent 25mph bike will cost around $1000.

A decent 35mph bike will cost around $2000.

tdiggs said:
So a 72 volt set up would be faster than a 48v?

Yes 72V will spin a motor at a higher RPM than 48V. Spend some time using the simulator here: http://ebikes.ca/simulator/

We really need to get the wiki going, with a large FAQ for noobs section.

I apologize for me being a 'noob'. You guys must remember we have all been there though. I will play with the simulator. I appreciate all of you and if I have further questions I will be sure to ask after searching.

tdiggs said:
I apologize for me being a 'noob'. You guys must remember we have all been there though. I will play with the simulator. I appreciate all of you and if I have further questions I will be sure to ask after searching.

I'm not trying to use the word "noob" in a negative context. It would just be nice if we had a good FAQ for people who are looking to build their first bike.

Quite often people post this question: "What is the best hubmotor kit?", "what is the fastest hub motor kit", or "I want a bike that will do 50mph with 20 miles range". Usually it turns out they don't want any of those things.

You set the speed with voltage, and the power with Amps; at some point of speed, power also gives more because it is needed to fight wind resistance.
Volts X Amps = watts
above so much watts, a system need to be upgraded to stand (or shed) the heat
bigger DD motors, and low resistance controllers can stand higher power before needing mods
Performance systems need tests and monitoring, to know the limits and achieve proper balance
Above 50 Mph, one need a lot of time and-or money to set a reliable system. Reading about faster builds here on ES can save you some of both.

It all makes so much more sense once you have a bike running with a CA or some type of power meter. Of course keep reading but once you have a working machine things like V, A, W, hr, will fall in their place.

9/10 people here build more than one bike so no need to master everything all at once. Fortunately, you're now considering better stuff so your 1st effort should be very capable and satisfying.

Back from work now. 24s refers to a battery with 24 cells series connected. With RC lipo packs from hobby king, you string 24 cells in series and you get 90-110v

Whatever you get, I suggest trying it out at 48v. See if the bike is in the get you killed class or not, can you stop at 30 mph, does it get the death wobbles, etc. Then if it's solid, a 72v 20 amp controller is going to get you to the next level without melting a kit motor intended for 800w or so.

To get into the above 40mph club takes a strong bike, at least 72v 40 amps, and really good brakes. Tires can be worn out in one day if you corner enough.

So it gets to be a bit of $$ for the fun. 30 mph can be done by most any bike. It's just that the cheap one will wear out fast.

auraslip said:
A decent 25mph bike will cost around $1000.

A decent 35mph bike will cost around $2000.

Blanket statements like this are just ridiculous. With my 24s2p lipo pack my bike will do over 40mph, with a total cost of under $800.
A $20 5mph bike will get an idiot killed.

I find it amazing how you trust a 59 usd mtb to do over 40mph.
But I will keep buying better grade stuff for my toys.

@ el_wato
I understand. I know I should not expect fast speed and long range. I am content with about 25-30mph at 20 miles with bursts of 35-40 if possible.

@Ykick
I would like my first etrike to be a good one, I know I cannot do it completely right the first time, but I can try! The best way, I'm sure, is to get a little knowledge of the ebike waters and dive in really, so I intend to get a good setup and gain experience!

@dogman
Good advice! I intend on getting the 48V system and if that goes well then there will be another build with a 72V! Now what does the controller do exactly and what does it mean by a '20 amp' controller?

gensem said:
I find it amazing how you trust a 59 usd mtb to do over 40mph.
It's a steel frame. In my 65 years, I've yet to see a steel frame bike break that hadn't sit and rusted out. At 270lbs, I'm more concerned with breaking a rear axle. Not worried at all about the frame.

@tdiggs - you're doing fine and will no doubt build a very good 1st bike/trike...

If I may suggest? Please enter some location information for your profile. Nothing too detailed unless you want but it's often hard to advise some things not knowing what country or continent a user is located.

Welcome to the ES forums!

Back