Tri This: The Official Tricycle Thread

MikeFairbanks

100 kW
I apologize if this is already in progress, but I couldn't find it, so I thought I'd start a thread that dedicated to tricycles only. Tall, small, short, all....as long as they have three wheels.

Post as many pics as you can and we can keep this thread going as a trike showcase and discussion thread.

I'll Tri to go first.

My Trike (well, it officially belongs to work, but I'm the only one who uses it) is the good old Worksman Mover with a front hub motor and SLAs powering it. I Built it, maintain it, ride it, enjoy it, and nowadays horde it).

Industrial%20Tricycle-M.jpg

Alright: Post 'em.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22720

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I didn't build this one but I did try to ride it once, after I found it;
file.php

There should be enough details in the thread linked at the start of the post. ;)

But if you read that and still have questions, ask here or there and I'll answer when I'm not mostly asleep.

FWIW, the eventual plan is for a middrive trike, driven thru an IGH for shifting for hills and stuff, with a geared hub as backup in case the middrive fails somehow (since the geared hub will freewheel and not add much drag).

I finally got the pedal chain drive working (though it is only there as a backup in case of complete motor system failure, so I won't have to walk home).
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=716311#p716311

file.php

ihaztrikestoosideish view.jpgtwins.jpgtwin2twin.jpgtwins.jpgView attachment 2View attachment 1
in various configurations.
The red trike I sold.
The first custom trike got squished by a SUV
The last two trikes are currently operational, more or less.

Trice QNT + V4 Drive

Attachments

• _DSC0920.jpg
    _DSC0920.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 3,743
  • _DSC0916.jpg
    _DSC0916.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 3,743
  • _DSC0923.jpg
    _DSC0923.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,624
  • DSC_0405.jpg
    DSC_0405.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 3,743
  • DSC_0468.jpg
    DSC_0468.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3,743
Now that's a real trike.

My first ebike was a delta trike, based on the cheap Schwinn meridian trike. It was replaced by a regular bike pretty quick, once I realized how hard it was to trike around in the city. I had a motor that was too fast, so mostly I was cruising around at too much speed for safe delta trike riding. The cheap bike started breaking back wheel spokes almost immediately, due to the big heat cracks in the roads, and riding with a big ol load of lead in the battery box.

I put the battery box under the basket, and rigged it with a hinge lid so the whole basket tipped to access the box. BD 36 on Schwinn trike.JPG

I am not into trikes yet.
but I like to think of a full fared FS tilting trike :wink:

FWS-RWD-3T-Fared-Tadpole.jpg

Was at the park watching kids trash a trike once.

They destroyed the right rear wheel but that did not slow them down.

They had already learned how to ride it on 2 wheels. :)

So I had to learn how to do it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0IJgoj4chI

Rode that trike for years before I put a motor on it.

Still have it. My wife rides it when we go for rides and she likes it a lot.

We take it way out into the woods too and it is a lot of fun offroad ! :)

file.php

file.php

The battery pack has been updated since this picture and is extender pack ready. :)

This is a 33 cell A123 m1 pack for the main power pack and a 40 cell Samsung laptop cell extender pack.

file.php

Riding with Nancy way out in the woods in Florida. :)

Attachments

• SUNP0008-1.jpg
    SUNP0008-1.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,968
  • SUNP0018.jpg
    SUNP0018.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,968
  • P04-15-12_14.12.jpg
    P04-15-12_14.12.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 3,732
Hi Rassy, I have been riding the tadpole trike that I built for years, I have been thinking of building a delta trike, but with a lower seat height 15 to 17 inches , like greenspeed, what are the + or -- 's of the delta type trike? Jim

I liked my delta trike. One reason for the tadpoles was weight and ease of loading in a car. My delta weighed about 65 pounds out of the box and the tadpoles are more compact and weigh about 40 pounds out of the box. One plus for the Rover, it turns very sharp (at low speed), but not as sharp as the Sun trikes with above seat steering. I never liked the single wheel drive on the back of my delta. If I tried to get going on a 20% grade the front of the trike would just slew to the left in pedal only mode. Mine was motorized with either a two wheel pusher trailer or a front hub (or both) so getting going wasn't a real problem.

My daughter-in-law that has the delta trike now really loves it. She opted for a front hub motor instead of a pusher trailer. They never haul their trikes anywhere.

After my brother had his stroke I asked him if he wanted a delta or tadpole. He wanted a delta with above seat steering because it was more like the recumbent he had been riding. I got him a Sun EZ3-SX and he loves it.

So, in conclusion, both can be great, it just depends on what you like and how you use it.

Here is my trike now that it is up and running. Many thanks to the great help from members here. I really have not ridden it anywhere yet, just a few short checkout runs. It's no rocket, but my desire is that folks don't notice it's motored. I'll just have to remember to pedal a bit.

Motor: 350W mini geared hub, Batt: 48V 15ah lifepo4 ebay, Trike: KMX Typhoon with 24" instead of a 20" rear wheel. Everything fit without modification. Think I hid things well enough, used the black plastic squares which had been used to reinforce the trike shipping box to hide the controller behind the seat, and protect from wheel spray. The motor is small enough to look like just a hub. I don't really like the big battery sticking out so high, but it didn't easily fit behind the seat. The bike rack method mount just made it simple.

(And yeah, I had to stick my trusty Unicycle in the first picture.)

Attachments

• IMG_1052 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1052 (Small).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 3,604
  • IMG_1053 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1053 (Small).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,604
pic of my yellow scorpion FS, with ezee geared hub motor.
running 12s2p lipo.

47-167-thickbox.jpg

this is not the most up to date picture though.i have different panniers on it now and my CA V3 is installed...
i will get a more recent picture tomorrow sometime.

Jason

Like Madrhino I dream about a tilting trike with suspension, this is the latest one I have been thinking about.

http://www.tripod-bikes.com/?lang=2

I got rid of my Sun tadpole after rolling it a couple of times.

Well awright!

IMG_0433.JPGIMG_0432.JPG
otherDoc

Diamondback said:
pic of my yellow scorpion FS, with ezee geared hub motor.
running 12s2p lipo...

Jason

Nice trike Jason. I really like the eZee for trikes - not so heavy and less drag than DD. I have installed a couple...

Attachments

• Hamilton 2-20110618-00056.jpg
    Hamilton 2-20110618-00056.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 3,525
Taken a couple of years ago. My old eZee and a Trice T with a BMC in these photos...

Attachments

• _DSC8307.jpg
    _DSC8307.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 3,524
Taken a couple of years ago at the Niagara Velomobile Happening. My e-trike dwarfed by a few velos. I had to disable the governor to keep up with these guys. :)

Attachments

• Niagara-on-the-Lake-20110917-00264.jpg
    Niagara-on-the-Lake-20110917-00264.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3,525
I went the cargo trike route with my Catrike Expedition. The HS3540 motor is a bit obvious but everything else is pretty well stashed out of site to the casual observer.

8429631465_b32dbd6063_c.jpg

I'm considering either a Fiester WAW or Greenspeed Glyde velomobile as the next project. Since I ride even in the Winter, the velomobile might be a better option. Although it would need a trailer for shopping trips etc.

Back