72V Motorcycle Wheels Mac 6T Motor Street Ride

mainsource

10 W
Just thought id post a couple of build pix... Awaiting a cnc'd bracket to mount the battery box to the lower frame tube. Will also bump stop the suspension if needed. Tire OD's are 22.5 inches... Theoretical speed calculated for this motor at 72 V is 50 mph... That said, loss factors and motor power handling capabilities are [obviously] expected to reduce that number considerably. Guestimates are welcome!

Attachments

• phpHOLe88PM.jpg
    phpHOLe88PM.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 6,434
  • phpPxTUtcPM.jpg
    phpPxTUtcPM.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 6,435
The mac is never going to handle 50mph speed
Yeah, would probably melt the phase wires before that happens... at any rate, the plan is to overvolt this thing and see what it does... I build my own wheels, so installing something appropriate is conceivable.

How do you like the base bike you started with?
Hand picked to accommodate the wider wheels... Great build quality, stiff suspension, reasonable components.

I have a Mac 8T and overvolted it to 72V (84V fully charged). On acceleration motor stutter with this voltage. Max voltage is around 65V for optimal performance.

Hope your battery is pretty small. I bet 50 mph for 10 miles will have it blowing smoke, if the gears handle it. Short rides, or rides where you use the full power only sparingly should work.

Man, you spent some coin lacing a real nice rim on the wrong motor. If you run it on 48v, it has a chance.

Bike appears ok ish, but is it just a cheap Genesis, with a GMC label instead? I think I spy that faux air shock, that's just a pogo stick with a plastic cover. I have a healthy respect for how dangerous it can be to turn a thin weak frame into a motorcycle. Or,,, maybe you just enjoy tank slappers.

On a scale of one to ten, a five, but only because of the beautiful rims and tires.

actually Dogman, i will consider locking out those shocks all together to see how much "cush" a 3 inch wide mc tire has to offer... this is my laboratory for future builds, and the "KISS" in me would be interested in tossing the suspensions altogether (if i could strike a balance).... that said, what do you think about this fork in my neighborhood? i do understand how it would affect the geometry:

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-bikes-frames-parts-Manitou-Stance-Triple-Crown-Shocks-Dual-Forks-W0QQAdIdZ521529745

I think you need more clearance on that additional structure.

My mac 8t on 62v was just too jumpy at normal speeds. It did about 43mph though.

The 6t on 72v is going to be very hard on your controller. That's like driving a car in 5th gear all the time.

Yeah, I'm with the others. Nice looking setup but that poor little mac won't be happy. Well it might be happy for five minutes then it will be very unhappy. Mine lasted about 15 minutes at 62V before it went all melty. Windings, halls, phase wires and magnets all cooked.

The MAC internal motor spins 5 times for every wheel-turn due to the planetary gear reduction. At an unloaded 50-MPH (80 k/h) meaning the 26-inch rear wheel is in the air, the wheel is spinning 647-RPMs and the motor is spinning 3200-ish RPMs.

The MAC has a poor heat-shedding path, and I am telling you this as a frequent promoter of the MAC (where it's appropriate). Read the 40-MPH builds, they show what really works and will survive the high watts and heat. You will need a LiPo for a battery, and definitely a direct-drive rear hub.

Consider the Crystalyte Crown, or the Crystalyte 54XX series. Your MAC will do 50-MPH unloaded, but...due to the high wind resistance at 50-MPH it will run about 40-MPH for about five minutes. If you are lucky a hall sensor will die first from the heat, and the rest of the motor will be salvageable.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=55766

What are the manufacturers and model #s of the two tires? I like them.

Thanks for the advice, but I think a lot of people are forgetting that my wheel diameter is 22.5 inches... I bought a motor thats rated at 48V, I dont personally see it as unreasonable to overvolt it by 50% to cross a freeway interchange bridge in traffic.. FYI for this forum, I actually own a brand new 5403 but plan to save it for a long range commuter build i am doing from the ground up (chassis included).. BTW in addition to wheel diameter, the MAC is modded with liberal ventilation holes freewheel side. Finally, I did say 50 mph theoretical speed (what i should have said was unloaded speed)... I am not stuck on a number, but rather, am very interested in learning the borderline capabilities of various ebike components... My overall longterm interest is ground up chassis design/ build bcuz i have lots of fab and CNC experience (obviously very little motor/ controller experience, but thats coming).

Tires are Michelin Gazelles; 2.5 x 17

Make sure the MAC has the newer optional 0.35mm laminations instead of the common 0.50mm lams (eddy current heat, etc). Also check the maker of your controller to make sure it will be capable of managing the electrical frequency of the motor at 72V.

You've posted very good looking work so far, and I wish you the best...

Your bike looks nice with the big tires and MC rims but I also want to chime in on the mac as I also feel its not really suited to what you are trying to do. I love my mac motors on my bikes but I am in the 50 volt club for both my bikes and quite happy there for now. For me the reason I went with the mac is I wanted to keep battery weight, size and cost down and wanted to climb steeper hills and enjoy slow speed single track with a quiet motor. The mac is working well for my application but if you are going with higher voltage and mostly street riding I would just go with the motor you know will work ahead of time and sell the mac to some one that can use it before it gets wrecked.

Regarding the controller mags, its an ebikes.ca infinion... Great point about the mac frequency... I dont have the answer, but I guess I could ask some questions... Seems like the general consensus is to tone down the voltage, and I may very well run with that advice. Truth is, the mac was laying around for a while and i wanted to use it for something... Perhaps the best way forward is to finish the build then upgrade as needed.

Also if you go with the mac I would highly recommend the version 3 CA as you can get nice throttle response without all the dead spots you would normally expect with the old CA.

Also regarding the forks you were asking input on.........DH style forks are cool but overkill in my opinion if you in fact scale down the voltage. I have the DH style forks on my bike because the used frame that I bought came with them. If you decide to match your controller and voltage to the mac motor then you might as well match the forks and go with a nice set of single crown forks that don't weigh a ton. When I look at my Giant DH its kind of a joke really, as I got big suspension but a motor that is also the rear hub and this mac hub is a big weak link as far as using my suspension for how its intended to be used.These little motors are crap for bashing through the rough stuff. However it is fun to ride as is if I take it easy. If I was shopping for new forks I would go with 5 inch travel single crown forks that are of decent quality.

Hope this helps in the mixing and matching of your components.

I found all of you advice extremely helpful Wayne (and others who posted earlier as well)! Big eye opener regarding the new CA V3... This came as welcomed news, because I am well acquainted with the less than subtle throttle response I experienced with my first build (earlier version CA).

Nice build, love those wheels like everyone else said.
Anything over 35 MPH on a mountain bike is too fast and windy in my 8 years of ebiking.

What is the width of the wheels? Are they aluminum?

Fortunately, that mac will self destruct before the cheap frame gets really soft. It will bend from side to side, and get softer and softer till it fails.

What worries me, is the idea of putting a cromotor on that cheap frame, for more than a one time track use. It's not the shock that's the big danger, it's the thin cheap tubing that frame was made from. Weak from side to side. If you haven't done tank slappers on motorcycles enough in the past, you have no idea what you are in for. If you have, then you likely have the skill set to survive them, provided the frame holds together. That bike was designed to handle what a 14 year old boy can dish out, not a motor given 3-5 hp.

Nothing wrong with it as an experimental starting point. Just don't go riding that frame 50 mph for months or years. Have fun, melting down motors is quite fun, if you can spare the motors.

If you are smart about power usage, the mac will survive. As you say, just using WOT to cross a fast section of road for a short distance, it should be okay. A lot depends on your position and size, and the clothes you are wearing. Get aero.

The Gazelles look sturdy, how is the rolling resistance / coast down?

Thnx for advice... I am actually 156 lbs so id say nothing crazy weight wise... I havn't rolled those tires yet... I am awaiting the final major component; a cnc'd battery box mounting bracket to affix box to lower frame tube. ... I already got LiPo and do plan to manage the motor current draw using a cycle analyst.

mainsource said:
the MAC is modded with liberal ventilation holes freewheel side
IMHO this is not a good plan. You are opening up the gears, clutch, and bearings to roadside contaminants. The grease will capture anything circulating about in the air, trapping it into an abrasive slurry. Beyond the gears, the inner clutch bearing is completely exposed (no seals) and shares the same cavity with the sprags of the clutch - also open to the inside of the motor. This seems rather like pouring sand into an auto transmission.

Moving on to projected speeds:
mainsource said:
...a lot of people are forgetting that my wheel diameter is 22.5 inches...
Tires are Michelin Gazelles; 2.5 x 17
  • From an authority on MAC operation:
    cell_man said:
    The other thing to consider is that there is a limit to the rpm these motors will efficiently operate to. There are 80 electrical cycles per revolution with the 16 pole motor and 5:1 gear reduction. If you run the motor much above 400rpm the motor will get hotter due to inefficiencies in the stator that are unavoidable. I would say that the max rpm you should operate is maybe around 500rpm which equals about 60kph in a 26" rim, but closer to 50kph is advisable. If you are really obsessed with having big power, fit dual motors, it really flies and the motors will not be stressed doing it, but the motors will still be limited by the max rpm of the motor. They can handle it, they just get hotter than they would operating at the same power levels, than they would operating at lower rpm.
Your 22.5" tire is not working for you if you are looking for speed because of the recommended rpm limit of 500. A quick back-of-the-envelope table calculation shows this:

SpeedVsTireSize2.png
Here your tire size would appear to limit operation to about 33-34mph - above this speed you are just shoveling Watts into heat. As Paul points out, you can exceed these rpm recommendations, but you are moving into a region of diminishing returns. This limit arises before any of the heating issues previously mentioned - here rpm and the motor core are preventing additional useful power conversion. (The new thinner laminations may improve this situation a bit, but I doubt you will see a substantial increase in the recommended rpm).

mainsource said:
...I already got LiPo and do plan to manage the motor current draw using a cycle analyst.
In my experience, the clutch is the new 'weak spot' since the gears were strengthened over the last couple of years and damage (seizing) occurs on dead-stop getaways and forceful re-engagements at speed. Unfortunately, simple CA V2 current limiting does nothing at all until the current limit is exceeded. This means that the CA will not be in play as you initially accelerate off the line or re-engage the clutch - which is the time you need the protection.

To address the getaway torque, you can fiddle an EM3EV or Lyen controller to:
  • Set the controller Block Time as low as possible (preferably zero) to suppress the period when WOT off the line causes the controller to ignore programmed current limits
  • Reduce the phase:rated amps ratio to 2:1 or less to reduce torque as the bike begins to accelerate
Unlike basic CA V2 limiting, a V3 set up with throttle ramping can soften the getaways and re-engagements. Also, running with Current Throttle (either V2 or V3) will get you some linearity to throttle control - with the MAC over-volted, the throttle will otherwise have a pretty steep step in the midrange. Current throttle will also more effectively limit getaway torque since the CA is providing the throttle signal. If you have one of the new upgraded MACs with the temp sensor, getting a V3 so it can do temp-sensing power rollback will at least alleviate your heating worries...

Just some thoughts....

Thank you for the time and effort you have invested in this post. I have (perhaps many others on this forum as well) found it at the very least; enlightening and informative... I feel confident that the detail provided was based on an intimate understanding of how these motors work, and it's good intention is to neutralize any unrealistic expectations I may be harboring... Much of your content supports concerns raised earlier by other well intention members, and I must concede that any performance beyond 35 mph would warrant a larger motor... Had I this awareness prior to the build, I would have gone in a different direction (motor wise)... At any rate, you have short circuited the need for the trial and error I proposed earlier, and this would likely prove a huge savings in time, effort, and money... Thank your for that! Yet another example of the genius of ES!

Well - a couple of minutes with Excel can be helpful to chug out monotonous calculations with a simple drag-and-replicate - easy-peasy...

I certainly don't wish to deter you from moving forward - you have quite a bit invested. I might suggest getting a replacement side cover for the motor from EM3EV and moving on with the project with perhaps different speed expectations. I'm sure you will enjoy the ride.

I over-volt my BMC motors and moderate the power with a V3 to get extended range using higher voltage instead of increased Ah... in the end Wh are Wh and a V3 can let you run safely at reduced power - just converting the unused amperage (resulting from the increased voltage) into range. Since you have invested in a battery housing and battery already, this would be a way to use the existing battery idea, but shooting for range instead of speed. CA V3's are on sale now which would be a good investment no matter how you move forward.

If you rig a three speed switch, you can use the full power setting for a 'boost mode' when you feel frisky - I do this as well using the V3. I run my motors up to 40mph for mile or two sprints in traffic, but there is no doubt that they are gobbling power and heading for overheating if I run for long. Your experiences would be similar, but for a bit shorter distance (I have two motors to split the load and heat). For normal continuous running at lower switch settings the bike is lots of fun and the extra 'boost mode' can be a great feature as long as you keep the motor limitation in perspective.

BTW - if your MAC does not have a temp sensor, here's a post on a sleazy way to get pretty fair monitoring without pulling new wires (which is the best approach). This is a good enough technique to monitor slow heat buildup from running on the flat with too much juice, but the heat propagation lag won't catch serious hill-climbing indiscretions in time....

One of two things wrong in the first place

Either lace that Motorcycle wheel on a DD hub, or lace your Mac in a lighter wheel.
Geared motors don't like to accelerate a heavy wheel, that is mid drive or big DD hub domain.

50 Mph is a lot to ask to a geared motor, even on a light weight build.

Back