Has anyone got an Ursus Jumbo centre stand?

alsmith

100 kW
I've been looking at (and asking about) bike stands for ages now and the time has come- the excessively high one I've been making do with is now showing signs of becoming unsteady so I'm going to have to buy before it falls over and causes damage- I'm doubting it would stay steady if it gets windy.

After much looking around the strongest and steadiest seems to be the Ursus Jumbo- really wide legs followed by the first version of it- the all steel Hopper.
Has anyone got one? What is the ground to frame height and can the leg length be adjusted (hacksaw?). Any thoughts or advice about them?

Well I don't have that model but i do have a double leg type like that. Th bike needs to be lifted up in order to open the stand, and at 100 lbs plus that is a pia. And when on the stand, the front wheel is up in the air and the bike is unstable.

I am looking into a side stand as used in cycles and scooters.

I recently installed one on my cargo bike to replace the weak and broken OEM one. I am very pleased with its stability, and how it folds back out of the way, yet clears my 2.35" tires. The only disadvantage I see is that with the legs down the cranks won't clear, which makes it a bit less convenient to clean and oil the chain as compared to other (less stable) designs.

Keep in mind that it comes in both 26" and 700c sizes. The ground to frame height is fixed at 11.5" (29.2cm) for the 26" size. It is not designed to be height-adjustable, but I suppose the legs could shortened with a hacksaw if the plastic feet could be pried loose.

WhatcomRider said:
I recently installed one on my cargo bike to replace the weak and broken OEM one. I am very pleased with its stability, and how it folds back out of the way, yet clears my 2.35" tires. The only disadvantage I see is that with the legs down the cranks won't clear, which makes it a bit less convenient to clean and oil the chain as compared to other (less stable) designs.

Keep in mind that it comes in both 26" and 700c sizes. The ground to frame height is fixed at 11.5" (29.2cm) for the 26" size. It is not designed to be height-adjustable, but I suppose the legs could shortened with a hacksaw if the plastic feet could be pried loose.

The height is something that I want to get right because the current one lifts the wheel up 4 or 5 inches and was labelled as or 28" so I want to get this right. (The leg shape stopped me from shortening the legs.)
It is 280mm from the ground to the underside of the stand bracket.
One thought- what is the tyre to ground clearance (with one wheel on the ground) you guys have? is it right, what's the ideal?

Depending on the hardness and evenness of the surfaces that you typically park on, I would say anywhere from 1 to 3 inches of front tire clearance is good. From our measurements it looks like you would get about an inch. If you need more clearance than that you can always add a metal shim between the stand and the bracket.

An inch is ok, 2 better, and 3 is ok. That clearance is with the 28" stand?

I'm getting the feeling I'm about to order it. Many thanks!

It may be heavy but it's strong and stable. Your ebike won't fall over with this one. Legs are not intended to be length adjustable - they are what give the stability.

we are waiting on a warrantee replacement for one of these at the shop. Not sure if it was customer abuse or not. It is very stable though

I have been very happy with the adjustable stand I got at Crow Cycles. Adjustable means I can set it up to just rock the bike back up on to the stand. With the length right, you can do this with 500 pound motorcycles.

No sweat with my bike only weighing 200 pounds fully loaded. You do have to stick a foot at the base of the stand or it will slide. The motorcycle ones have an actual foot peg you stand on. Two years in now, and loving the stand. I did have to replace the bolt that attaches it though, that snapped about one year in. No issues with the adjustable leg pieces, which can be replaced with threaded rod if needed.

I carry a little piece of plywood if I expect to park on dirt. The place you park must be level from side to side, and hard.

I got a reply from Ursus with a drawing showing where the measurement is made which I've attached. The drawing is attached in case anyone wants/needs it but it is just the underside of the stand mount to the ground.

thank you for your kind request on our products.
See here below our reply on the requested points.

Double kickstand Jumbo is not adjustable, it’s a fix-version double stand.

It’s available in 2 length versions:
1) X-Max = 275
2) X-Max = 300
Look at enclosed file to see how we calculate “Quota X”
When legs are expanded, the distance between the 2 feet is 40 cm.
The distance between the feet and the ground when folded is not calculable, it depends on the frame geometry and other technical details of the bicycle.
But we can give you the distance between the 2 feet when folded: 20 cm. And the angle between head and legs is 90 ° wide

Best regards
Francesca Bizzotto

URSUS S.p.A

Their nominal sizes are a little different to those given by WhatcomRider but not massively- it could just be the measurement position, a small angle on the stand mount (different size tyres front and back would give this), manufacturing tolerances, or a mix of these.

Anyhow, thanks guys. They have a customer.

The stand arrived earlier today and is superb- it's more substantial than some of stands fitted to motorbikes I've had, aluminium construction weighing 1.17kg (2lb 9oz).
It was fitted in a couple of minutes and the wheel sits a nice height off the ground. It is amazingly stable with those legs splayed out so far. The legs are very close to the chain when raised- the legs swing a long way inwards. Packaging says that the maximum load is 55kg- 121lb.

It's 100% recommended by me!

Added:
I also recommend hollandbikeshop who were very helpful in answering my questions, had a good price, and delivered quickly.

I recent purchased my second one for my new Edgerunner project. First one was for my wife to replace her M-Wave adjustable stand. And although that adjustable stand was nice, it did not hold up after a year of ebike/trailer use. After awhile, my daughter would have to wait until someone was holding the bike to get into her trailer.

The Ursus Jumbo is ROCK solid. My kid has no problem jumping into her trailer with only the bike and stand holding things up. It keeps our whole rig firm and upright. I have no doubts that it will hold up the Edgerunner nicely if I can find a good mounting point for it. (Something to consider on cargo bikes since they don't always have standard bosses for centermounted kickstands.

My first stand was also an mwave with adjustable legs and I never considered changing it so it must have done the job, but after almost 2 years one of the legs would slip the adjusting slot so the bike would lean when stood or would fall over. I ran with it for the next 6-8 months using a pipe clip to stop it slipping. The next stand (from Amazon) didn't last a week before the started to bend, and this was followed by the sit up and beg stand (I couldn't shorten it because of the leg shape) which would be ok on a taller bike.
I'd seen and was looking at the pletscher and a few others but none of them can match this Ursus stand.

I've got to say the Dutch supplier were superb, and there are so many bike accessories- more choice than other sites I've seen. I guess it makes sense when you've all the bikes there, absolutely loads of them.

Update after 9 months, and one mild winter with the bike stored indoors :

I'm less impressed now than when the stand was first fitted.
- The black coating is peeling away- quite badly in places- revealing what appears to be corrosion of the underlying metal.
- Part of the casting (where it fits against the frame) has broken away.
- probably worst is that where it used to lift the wheel off the ground when deployed it no longer does meaning less stability as both wheels touch the ground now so when used won't be as stable on non-level ground (but I've avoided trying this).

My overall conclusion is that the stand is not as good as expected with concern about longevity. Its possibly still one of the better stands but still is far from ideal.

My adjustable double leg kick stand. I like it because I can use different size wheels and just adjust the length of the legs. Been using for three years.

That is like the stand I originally had. It was arguably the best of all of the stands I've tried- probably 5 different ones now. It failed when one of the legs wouldn't stay at the set height, slipping out of the notch and eventually leaning and falling over. I had a pipe clip fastened to the leg holding it in position by stopping it slipping. I think it was age that eventually beat it, plus the bike would blow over in strong spring winds. The worst stand was an amazon one where the legs actually splayed out within a couple of weeks- bricks would have been a vast improvement over that thing.
At the moment the only two I'd bother with are that original stand or the Ursus but neither is perfect- but streets ahead of other I've tried.

I've got mixed feelings. I'd not buy or recommend the aluminium ones- the height drops (wear in time) so eventually the 2 wheels touch the ground at the same time as the stand legs. The aluminium corrodes and the black coating peels off in time. I would consider a steel one, but never ever get an aluminium one again.

An extra to my last post- you can buy replacement feet for these stands- comparing the original ones to the replacement they have worn about 5 mm. Maybe it's an Italian thing but the Left one is marked R and the Right one is marked L. Anyway- one thing I noticed is that the feet push a fairly long way into the feet so it would be possible to pack the channel with something to extend the length of the feet thus lengthening the stand and lifting the wheels up a bit extending the life of the the stand feet. The plastic these feet are made of is a hard kind of thermoplastic probably accounting for the fairly fast wear rate, rubber feet would probably last longer.
I got these from a UK supplier, reallyusefulbikes. Really useful bits for cargo bikes , and really friendly from my dealings with them. Only £3.90 (~$6) a pair plus carriage.

Put the Ursus Jumbo on my e-bike a couple days ago. This is the 4th kickstand in about 2 months. The other 3 either broke or slid around the chainstay. This one is much more beefy and much wider stance than anything else I've seen. I have a heavy bike loaded and put a 100 lb Bob trailer as well, so I need super strong and super stable. So far it is doing a good job. I only hope it holds up, literally and figuratively. Here's a pic with my Bob trailer on it.

Attachments

• my camping bike setup.jpg
    my camping bike setup.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 5,064
As an update- the new feet did lift one of the wheels up slightly when deployed at first but it didn't last long. Both wheels and both feet touch all the ground at the same time. The pretty black coating peeled off a year ago revealing the aluminium with white corrosion. It seems the aluminium used is not of the best quality. Shame- design seems good, not the execution. Reminds me a bit of a Ducati I had in the 70's- nice design, but some horrible stuff too.

Best stand ever, over two years now and not a problem ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Pletscher-Two-leg-Kickstand-320mm-Silver/dp/B000FR33ZM/ref=sr_1_28?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1476053913&sr=1-28&keywords=kick+stand+bike&refinements=p_72%3A1248957011

Keith

Back