Veloschmitt

http://veloschmitt.com/

Me too. Great idea. All it needs is Luftwaffe camouflage :wink: I don"t mean insignia, but that specky, dotful jacket of diffrent greys or greens. With eastern front yellow band of course lol.
Don"t get me wrong. I come from scale-RC-background, where military camouflages are not viewed politically.
It"s cheap too, compared to other velomobiles like Mango Sport. Only 5200 euros. Mango Sport is 7200 euros.
Bit too much for me at the moment, but i would love to own that thing. Other problem is, that it needs a garage. Without your own garage it"s bit difficult in the city to keep the thieves off.

Eskimo said:
All it needs is Luftwaffe camouflage :wink: I don"t mean insignia, but that specky, dotful jacket of diffrent greys or greens. With eastern front yellow band of course
you may have been misled by 'messerschmitt' who built the famous bf 109 and the very first jet fighter me 262. but the kabinenroller was built 1954 which was 9 years after the end of ww2. the kabinenroller with camouflage never existed.
but back on topic this is a great piece of work! :)

Love it, especially the velo version of the thing. Got that post war style.

But my favorite tiny car is still the one with the refrigerator door on the front. It's just too bizarre, looks like you should open it up and see milk, beer, and leftovers.

In my experience, 1500w gets you 35 mph ish. But perhaps more with that, since it's not an upright bike. 40 mph plausible, with a fast winding. I think the pie is a tad slower though, at 48v, 25 mph?

That thing would wail with a cromotor on it though, or just run at 72v.

I loved it until I saw the absurd price. It makes me want to hire a couple of experienced fiberglass guys and start cranking them out. Then sell them very profitably for about 1/3 the price. Incorrect pricing is what forces the vast majority of these little companies out of business. There's a market for that kind of stuff, but at that pricing it is miniscule. At the right price I believe the market could be quite significant.

Yeah, but it rocks on the cool scale. That's all that market segment cares about. Once you get Lenno to buy one, you are off and rolling selling to that kind of guy.

But for the mass market, I'm sure they can crank out better low drag fairings for tadpole trikes nice and cheap in China or India. Where they'd sell the most of them.

Hi,

Except for the price I like it a lot!
[youtube]kRNeBk1JiOA[/youtube]

What do they mean by "dynamic curve Tilting", (from the specifications page)?

Hi,

Giovanni LiCalsi said:
The Mango velomobile is $8,500.00.
I was not comparing it to other velomobile's. I think in absolute terms that $7,150 for their single passenger model, and $8,600.00 for their two passenger model is way to much for any velomobile.

An obvious example is my ZENN for $2k plus 10 Nissan Leaf battery modules (72V 60AH) for about $1,000 or 20 (72V 120AH) for about $2,000. That gives a battery capacity of over 20% or 40% of an entire Leaf pack. Doesn't look as "cool" but this would be safer, more comfortable, more luggage capacity, bigger and better battery pack, higher legal top speed etc.

In other words by any practical measure a used ZENN $3k or $4k (which seats 2) is a much better deal than spending either $7,150 for a single passenger Veloschmitt or $8,600.00. I am not saying that it's a bad idea to buy a Veloschmitt. But if you do a cost/benefit analysis it's hard to justify spending twice as much and getting so much less for your money.

Giovanni,

How much do crosswinds affect a velo, significantly more than say a cargo bike or similar since it has much better aerodynamics? What about speed, have you ever been in one down a mountain road at 100kph or more? I know something like the Swiss built Monotracer is fine a highway speeds, but it's quite heavy. I want a velo not only to get out of the rain and sun, but also to take advantage of the aero and ride at highway speeds with much lower energy consumption than I get on an ebike.

What about noise? Every video I've heard the velos seem to amplify tire and other noise, but I prize silence. Since I have a near silent motor and the velo should all but eliminate wind noise, I don't want to amplify tire noise. Instead I want to get closer to the tranquility of a glider. Do you know of any velos that are much more quiet than typical?

I'm assuming that the right tires for high speed and the right tread pattern for less noise might be obtainable.
You could also laminate some Rubatex foam insulation on the interior body section near the front wheels for sound deadening. I think that fat tires like the Continental Retro tires might be good for high speeds.
I admit that I have been reading all that I can on Velomobiles and still learning.
I have read that the Veloschmitt is relatively quiet but not like a sailplane.
I used to fly them and I know how quiet the wing on the wind can be.
I'm turning 65 in July and like the idea of electric assist and the comfort of the recumbent seat.
Where I live, near San Francisco, is flat and a 25mph speed limit, so ideal for the Velomobile.
Traffic is light, too.

Make your own?

http://modernmicrocars.co.uk/panels.html
panels.jpg

Andy's Micro Cars has some very good bodies but they are far from a kit. You would need a frame and many other parts to fasten the body to. This is a full size Messerschmitt body, as well. The Veloschmitt is smaller and made as a velomobile with pedals. Anyone that has ever been interested in the Messerschmitt can appreciate the low cost of the Veloschmitt, considering that the Messerschmitt can sell for over $40,000.00. :shock:

Yep, highly popular it turns out. Someone even has one close to where I live and brings it out for parades. Who'd have thunk it. :shock:

However, the kit suggestion - you would be doing well to keep that under 100kg never mind 40 before you add the electric components.

I have to say that I think they could be on to something great here. And reading the German forum they post on gives me the impression that they really know what they are doing and have serious stamina. I like that they are already thinking about solutions to the problems of rain and condensation on the windscreen.

The latest update on their Facebook page:

They have gone for spokeless front wheels.

https://www.facebook.com/557687010997083/photos/pcb.610316845734099/610315182400932/?type=1&theater

And perhaps most surprisingly what looks like a Cromotor. (This creates legal difficulties that have to be surmounted especially as they are aiming for TUV approval.)

https://www.facebook.com/557687010997083/photos/pcb.610316845734099/610316525734131/?type=1&theater

Edit: Ah both versions will use the 3KW peak but the pedelec will be limited to 250 continuous as it ramps up to 25kph. The S Pedelec version will be limited to 45 kph.

Here is an update on the specs and pricing. I think they will probably phase out the pedelec version and just go with the s pedelec. 25 kph is just too slow compared to 45kph. I wonder how TUV approval will go?

Personally if I was buying one I would get it without the battery and charger (unless its Justin's charger) and go with a large NCA battery. You'd want at least 3 KW/hr especially if you go with the electric window wiper and heater/ventilation options.

MESSERSCHMITT Kabinenroller - Prices:

VELOSCHMITT KR E-250R
1-seater KR250 SUPER Race entrance,
incl. Pedelec-Motor, 48 Volt 20Ah LiFePO4 battery, charger, lights, speedometer , bell
6.300,00 €*

VELOSCHMITT KR E-250L
2 seater KR250 LIMOUSINE with solid roof, glas windscreen, mech. wiper and sliding glas side windows , incl. pedelec motor , 48 Volt 20Ah rechargeable LiFePO4 battery, charger , rear seat, lights, speedometer , bell
7.350,00 €*

VELOSCHMITT KR E-250C
2 seater KR250 CABRIO with folding roof, glas windscreen, mech. wiper and sliding glas side windows , incl. pedelec motor , 48 Volt 20Ah rechargeable LiFePO4 battery, charger , rear seat, lights, speedometer , bell
7.650,00 €*

MESSERSCHMITT KR E-450R
1-seater KR450 SUPER Race entrance,
incl. 45km/h moped approval, 48 Volt 20Ah LiFePO4 battery, charger, lights, speedometer , horn
6.800,00 €*

MESSERSCHMITT KR E-450L
2 seater KR450 LIMOUSINE with solid roof, glas windscreen, mech. wiper and sliding glas side windows , incl. 45km/h moped approval , 48 Volt 20Ah rechargeable LiFePO4 battery, charger , rear seat, lights, speedometer , horn
7.850,00 €*

MESSERSCHMITT KR E-450C
2 seater KR450 CABRIO with folding roof, glas windscreen, mech. wiper and sliding glas side windows , incl. 45km/h moped approval , 48 Volt 20Ah rechargeable LiFePO4 battery, charger , rear seat, lights, speedometer , horn
8.150,00 €*

One just wonders who long wait customers can expect who order that. Propably quite long. They are not a big company, and that thing will sell globally i expect.
It costs roughly the same than Mango Sport, but is completely different animal.
I am planning to build some kind of old style E-trike mainly from plywood, with 1000W DD and 35A/60V-controller. Maybe using the looks of 29" Ford Roadster. Those drum brake 20-inch front wheels with one-side mount are a bitch. You have to build them by yourself.

Looks like all is not well in Veloschmitt/Messerschmitt land.

Hello everybody,
I said goodbye completely from Ljubljana / Slovenia and the local company JETBUSTER Adria doo for personal and economic reasons.
The design rights of the VELO SCHMITT lie with me, the naming rights even at Fred Zimmermann. Whether it's the VELO SCHMITT (..what nothing has to do MESSERSCHMITT) will be in series is open, as currently prevail some disagreement on the part of Slovenia. Therefore, I also have the website taken offline because it is not currently clear whether there will be VELO SCHMITT continue. As far as I know, the vehicles ordered are still be built under the name VELO SCHMITT and delivered.

http://www.epowerforum.de/forum/threads/messerschmitt-veloschmitt-kr-e-250.28/page-3#post-503

Eh don't see how he can claim his design has nothing to do with the Messerschmitt when it is almost a carbon copy with an electric motor and pedals. :?

Well that is disappointing. I wonder will the other partner continue with the Messerschmitt and just make it a car? I hope they do.

Back