standard mountain bike with a 180 watt motor fixed behind the chain
wheel with 2 x 12v12a sla on a carrier. They were fully charged last
night. About 5 k into a 15k commute the low warning light came on and
a few k's later the motor would cut in and out every few seconds on
full acceleration where before it had responded to the throttle. It
lasted like this until I got to work. That plus a deraillier being
maladjusted indicates lack of preparation which I will get over. At
least I made it and I WILL be better prepared next time. This is
actually a good thing as there is so much room for improvement!

Is it just old batteries or is there something else I'm missing? I'm
in Australia btw.

Well, unless it was up steep-ish hills all the way, 5k is absurdly short range for two 12V 12Ah batteries.

Consider I got 50k range from three such 12Ah bricks at 25km/h, no pedalling...

Sometimes if the batteries have been sitting around a long time and especially if they've never been cycled, they need a few "conditioning" cycles.

This would best be done going in circles around home base, so you won't get stuck pushing it too far if it dies. You will also get to learn how far it will go before it runs out of juice.

If it does not improve dramatically after about 3 charge / discharge cycles, then the batteries may be bad. If they sat around a really long time without being charged, they can sulfate, develop shorted cells, and other problems.

If the batteries are questionable, it might be worth it to just get new ones. If the seller warranties the bike, hopefully they would send you a new set at no charge.

It might be a good idea to put a voltmeter to the batteries when they're charging to make sure the charger is working correctly also.

How were you riding? Were you using the motor all the time with the throttle wide open? The idea is to ride the bike like a bicycle and only use the motor when your power alone won't get you through a headwind or up a steeper hill.

Charlie

The idea is to ride the bike like a bicycle and only use the motor when your power alone won't get you through a headwind or up a steeper hill.

Right, that's how all of us ride! :lol:
Fechter's so unlazy he even kick-pushes his scooter! :p

savvy ev'ers grab the bumper of a passing car 8)

xyster said:
Fechter's so unlazy he even kick-pushes his scooter! :p

Right. Ever try kicking with a scooter with a foot high platform going 30 mph?
Even kicking on a Zappy is nearly impossible. I get enough exercise just trying to hang on :lol:

chashb said:
How were you riding? Were you using the motor all the time with the throttle wide open? The idea is to ride the bike like a bicycle and only use the motor when your power alone won't get you through a headwind or up a steeper hill.

Charlie

That's the way it starts, the e-bike comes in, with a trench coat. It says to you, "Hey, you are doing great, but just a little twist and you can take that hill at 15 mph instead of 10mph. Come on, it's free, it won't hurt", then later the e-bike talks to you again, "Pppsst, see that roadie up there, with just a little twist you can blow past him while going uphill. It will really freaky him out". You laugh and blow past the roadie at 20 MPH. Finally at the end of the day, your riding through traffic with cars and one of them cuts you off. You hear a bunch of people laughing and e-bike again speaks to you. "Hey, are you going to let them do that? Give me some throttle and we will catch them at the next stop light, you can give them a piece of your mind!".

Before you know it', your a throttle addict. Everywhere you go, it's full speed all the time. You find yourself blowing cars away at stoplights, passing trucks, and blasting up steep hills like you are super man. The addition gets worse, you realize you need more power. Then you start checking around for stronger batteries and bigger motors. It just never ends I tell you..... :shock:

It just never ends I tell you.....

I know, man, I know. I feel ashamed about what I'm about to tell the group, like I was the only one. But now I know there must be others too:

Unable to stop the progression, I've begun main-lining electrons. That's right, morning, noon, and night, I'm hooked to my lithium pack -- 12 gauge spaghetti wires dangling straight into my veins. :cry:

I'm so glad....sob....you all are here for me!

Pssst....anybody got a lead on an a123? maybe wire me a hot emoli? A six pack of nicads from the tap doesn't even get me going in the morning anymore, and SLA is weak as water. Can anybody puhleaze at least hook me up with their supplier !!!???

Attachments

• IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,984
I have a big capacitor you can borrow. Guaranteed to get you started in the morning. :shock:

Resistance is futile :twisted:

Geebee said:
xyster, your prayers are answered, every morning a get you started charge.
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/shocking-alarm-clock-245907.php
fechter said:
I have a big capacitor you can borrow. Guaranteed to get you started in the morning.

Thank you, guys...sob...you do understand me, better than anyone else ever!
sob... :cry:
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((GROUP HUG)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

tick
tock
tick
tock

:!: ZEEEOOOORRRRCH :!:

:lol: Haaa ha ha ha hahahaha... :lol:

You guys didn't know I was wearing doped joy buzzers on my nipples! Fell for the oldest trick in the book!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: I'm sorry. I am SO sorry. :oops:

I think all these electrons are making me a very sick man...

Now about borrowing that capacitor, Fechter.....

Great for parties! Everyone connects their power leads and....

Talk about spiking the punch!!! :lol:

OMG what happens when you discharge that through a hot dog wiener?

Vid please!!!

Thaddeus said:
Great, I've joined a forum where guys show each other their big capacitors...

I feel like such a hypocrite for my involvement in this thread after admonishing Mathurin for scaring off the new members... :cry: :D

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=270&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
xyster said:
Mathurin, you're going to scare off the new recruits...errrr, members... who'll rightly suspect endless sphere is some kind of cult. We don't let them know that until the first steps of indoctrination/assimiliation are complete!:D

Back