eBike Yellowstone National Park

Mammalian04

100 kW
Anyone done it there or at any other National Park?
Any problems with the rangers?

If you have biked Yellowstone, anyone have recommendations?

Only thing I have heard of, is you can't bike Pikes Peak. White Sand Nat Monument allows bikes, but doesn't let you charge an Ebike.

I'd just email the park and ask. For Yellowstone, you might need a reservation these days. You do for grand canyon for sure.

You are correct sir. I am having a heck of a time finding reservations that fit with one another in July or August. eBikes in the park might be the least of my worries!

Gregory said:
I vaguely recall Hyena and Rix upload some videos of riding somewhere around there?
Correct, I met up with Rix on my last trip to the US and we had a blast riding around Yosemite. One bike was a bit ghetto throw together (converted in a log cabin the night before!) and the other was Rix's stealth bomber. So not exactly the most subtle of rides. We had no problems and we'rent approached by any rangers. Of course we exhibited the usual common sense and courtesy around pedestrians and got off and walked our bikes on a few paths that were marked not for bicycles (we wanted to go check out the waterfalls etc)

Here's the vids, truely one of the nicest places I've ridden.
(watch in full screen HD for maximum niceness)

[youtube]0FFSDinqUOc[/youtube]

[youtube]DDwwWnW5uq0[/youtube]

[youtube]6hOAXikyats[/youtube]

[youtube]7bljBGoMhyY[/youtube]

I was looking forward to trying out both the Cromotor and LightningRods mid-drive on 2 bikes in Yellowstone. After watching a mid-drive video, it is still pretty loud (even with the belt). I think for park riding, I better stick with the Hubmotor and pure sine wave adaptto MaxE controller.

When the Rangers see the big honkin' Raptor 140, they could decide to kick me out regardless. We will see.

Mammalian come try the cascade mountain range. Endless snow mobile trails. I've got a place for you to stay close by. But I don't have a raptor yet. Waiting for see how hyena and lr are going to tweak the raptor first. Dave

Wow nice Yosemite vid on ebike.

I am assuming stealth bomber?

Now if you can get to Yosemite just on you ebike. : ) that is my goal. No need for truck or car or other vehicles. Just ebike it all the way there and back!

If I had a couple months and a buddy to go with, ebike all the way would be a cool trip. Cascade mountains sound ven better for trails (my "someday" trip is a dual sport moto trip to Northern Alaska and back). Unfortunately the reality of work and life schedules puts both those trips out of the question for now.

I am perfectly happy with driving the bikes up and spending a couple weeks cruising around with the family on ebikes and hiking. Super excited!

Lots of work to get these things built first though. Sometimes I think I should have bitten the bullet on a couple cheaper HPC bikes but I remind myself that it will be worth it in the end.

All this talk reminds me, I need to get a GoPro helmet mount so all the awesome ES members that have helped me along the way can see the end result on the trails.

BTW, one of our favorite rides was the fire road just south of Mammoth. It starts at the top of the mountain, right off 89 and then ends halfway down the hill. You will probably want a ride but up the hill to your car, unless you have a stout e-bike to climb the hill or are in good shape (we were pedal power only and not good shape). :D

I e-biked most the national parks west of the Mississippi.
Yellowstone twice.
however... it is not an option to 'just ride' your bike from one area to the next, as Traffic is scary and distances between stuff is HUGE.
Personally, I likes the geyser basins the bestest.

Mammalian04 said:
Never any trouble from the Rangers DDK?
I only rode where bikes were allowed and didn't exactly advertise that my bike was powered... I think one was curious about e-bikes in general and asked me the 20 questions routine.
striider said:
How are opportunities for charging?
Wouldn't know.
I rode from my motorhome, conveniently outfitted with solar panels to keep my batteries happy (more than one set).
ride
change batteries
ride
ad nauseum.

Yellowstone is my favorite park (6 visits)... except for all the people. Kinda like Yosemite in that regard.
I learned to arrive on a Tuesday and leave Friday morning.

Yep, common courtesy goes a long way. But trails need to be approved for bikes, or the hats would bother you.

If you don't have a motor home, find one. They have power. Don't expect the park to have a plug you can use. At white sands it wasn't a matter of bias that they wouldn't let me plug in. It was that the wiring was done by the WPA, 85 years ago.

Or carry a small generator, I do that on road trips to the national forests, so I can plug in at primitive camp sites.

Nice. We are so far away, we try for the 2 week trip (since it takes 2 days to get there).

I have been contemplating solar panels for the RV. We have a quiet series generator but it totally kills the nature feel. If we had solar, we could get away from all the people with the home depot contractor generators that are about 5 times as loud. Then again, the ones without gennys are saying the same thing about me!

To really get off the grid and glamp (glamour camp) as we do, we would need a roof full. Unfortunately, our new trailer has a residential fridge too. Lots of juice. Maybe I should just plug the camper into the bike. ;)

I have been to Yellowstone. Unless you are very experienced, and carry lots of water and over night equipment, I would not go out. JHMHO.

Mark42 said:
I have been to Yellowstone. Unless you are very experienced, and carry lots of water and over night equipment, I would not go out. JHMHO.

Yep, we stick to the fire road trails and well traveled paths but you are right... always be prepared for an overnight stay(s) in the woods, bring your bear spray, and hike with a bear bell.

cool bus.jpgbe flexible :D

Back