Are footpegs superior if you don't pedal?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
furcifer   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Are footpegs superior if you don't pedal?

Post by furcifer » Jul 04 2019 4:16pm

markz wrote:
Jul 04 2019 12:13pm
Remember that going 1kph/mph over the limit is illegal too, yet 100% of everyone does it anyways.
True, but don't forget the penalty for going 1 km/h over is like $20 max, then penalty for having a 15kw motor could run you over $20K (licence, insurance, registration, plates, horn, signals, lights, safety check, towing, impound, storage). It's crazy how many fines they can throw at you if a cop decides it's a motor vehicle here in Ontario.

donn   10 kW

10 kW

Post by donn » Jul 04 2019 7:00pm

When I used to ride a motorcycle, I liked floorboards, as an alternative to pegs.

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Jul 04 2019 8:04pm

Just throw 'em a donut or 12!
furcifer wrote:
Jul 04 2019 4:16pm

furcifer   10 kW

10 kW

Post by furcifer » Jul 04 2019 9:06pm

markz wrote:
Jul 04 2019 8:04pm
Just throw 'em a donut or 12!
furcifer wrote:
Jul 04 2019 4:16pm
I got busted by the OPP when I was like 16 for riding a dirt bike along the side of the road. At the time it was like $250 for no insurance and $75 a pop for plates, horn, signals etc. Plus it got towed and I had to sign the ownership over. And this was out in the county, back roads, fields and what not. I tried to fight it but the cop lied and said I was on the road when I was actually in the ditch, on the wrong side of the road when he saw me.
If I knew then what I know now I would have run. :mrgreen:

chuyskywalker   10 W

10 W

Post by chuyskywalker » Apr 04 2021 4:29pm

benjamin84 wrote:
Jul 04 2019 4:56am
Old thread - but I recently swapped the pedals on my Q140MD for footpegs, and it was absolutely brilliant. I only ride in the forest, so I'm not so worried about what people think as long as the bike is silent.
I shall also revive this thread from the dead -- where did you get them from and how'd you convert them in? I can't seem to find a lot of resources/kits for doing this conversion.

benjamin84   100 W

100 W

Post by benjamin84 » Apr 05 2021 3:35pm

chuyskywalker wrote:
Apr 04 2021 4:29pm
benjamin84 wrote:
Jul 04 2019 4:56am
Old thread - but I recently swapped the pedals on my Q140MD for footpegs, and it was absolutely brilliant. I only ride in the forest, so I'm not so worried about what people think as long as the bike is silent.
I shall also revive this thread from the dead -- where did you get them from and how'd you convert them in? I can't seem to find a lot of resources/kits for doing this conversion.
Qulbix Make their own set - it just replaces the crank bearings with a through bolt and a set of footpegs. Can't find a link to it, but send them an e-mail and they can sort you out :) Pretty sure it would work on other bottom brackets of the same dimensions too.

MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW

Post by MadRhino » Apr 05 2021 5:04pm

Fitting foot pegs on crank arms is kind of weird. Platform pedals are much more comfortable. Using the BB shell to fit pegs is logical but very unlikely to place them at the ideal spot if it is a simple straight mount. My guess for most frames would be to fit them 4’’ lower than the BB shell, and it would be practical to manage a 2’’ f/r adjustment slot to make them tunable for balance.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.

donn   10 kW

10 kW

Post by donn » Apr 05 2021 9:47pm

MadRhino wrote:
Apr 05 2021 5:04pm
My guess for most frames
Bicycle frames, that is, am I right? For an electric scooter, the principles behind bicycle ergonomics are somewhat misplaced. For an ideal ride, some kind of moped frame would probably work a whole lot better. Maybe one of those mini-motos that were popular a few years back - big city hoodlums were using them to escape the police, if I remember right - excellent for sneaking through traffic.

Offroader   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Offroader » Apr 07 2021 2:23pm

I'm not sure if there are other footpegs on the market but qulbix worked well on my bottom bracket. They also seemed to be in a very good spot I did not have any issues with the bottom bracket location for footpegs.

The only issue with the qulbix and I've told qulbix about the issue is that unless you use a serrated washer, they may slip on the bottom bracket. My footpegs which were just clamped through the bottom bracket would slip without the serrated washer. You can see why because by clamping on footpegs, its just metal to metal and will slip a little and start turning.

This is what I bought, lucky I still have the picture. These worked perfectly to stop any movement in the footpegs. They are serrated and concave to really hold on tight. I did a lot of research at the time to find something that would work and found this as the solution.

This is a Spring serrated belleville washer.

You can see I used white out to check for movement. These things didn't budge with those washers. They would always twist without the washer no matter how tight I made the bolts.

chuyskywalker   10 W

10 W

Post by chuyskywalker » Apr 08 2021 11:49pm

Thanks, I gave qulbix a holler and they do still sell it off-list. About $120 for the pegs and adapters (likely plus a bit more for shipping). Couldn't find a direct order source for the serrated washers, though -- but belleville has a website I could reach out to.

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Apr 08 2021 11:56pm

chuyskywalker wrote:
Apr 08 2021 11:49pm
Thanks, I gave qulbix a holler and they do still sell it off-list. About $120 for the pegs and adapters (likely plus a bit more for shipping). Couldn't find a direct order source for the serrated washers, though -- but belleville has a website I could reach out to.
Any fastener store should have them, I forget the common name. I dont recognize Schnorr. But its definitely been talked about here on ES.

Disc Spring Washer, Locking Washers

I see some posts saying Nord, NordLock.

Heres a cool video
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93729&p=1374470&hil ... s#p1374470

Offroader   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Offroader » Apr 11 2021 2:47pm

I decided on the schnorr because they are not only serrated, but they are also concave or slightly bent so they apply pressure. Being the washer is concave/bent and applying pressure, it will help from the bolts loosening up or losing tension. You have to deal with two issues here, spinning, and also the bolts loosening up. I really liked how the schnorr applied tension, you can feel it when you tighten up the bolts, that tension really holds things together nicely.

The nord-lock washers are just serrated. They may still work, I don't know.

You maybe fine with any lock nut washer, may even just a regular serrated washer. You will have to try it out. I just know at the time I had big issues with spinning, and decided on the schnorr and they worked 100% and never came loose.