Affordable E-Bikes Are The Next Big Tech Trend?

chas58

10 kW
Here is an interesting article prompted by the changes Storm is making in the e-bike industry (ok, its typical uninformed millennial hipster hype, but you get the idea):
Affordable E-Bikes
You Heard It Here First: Affordable E-Bikes Are The Next Big Tech Trend

http://www.askmen.com/entertainment/guy_gear/affordable-e-bikes.html

Some quotes:

If someone asked you about an “electric bike” 20 years ago, you might have thought he was crazy — or talking about a child’s toy. Since then, a perfect storm of soaring fuel prices, growth of bicycle use in general, and improved electric drive technology has fast bolstered the electric bike’s stature and usage. Now that prices finally appear ready to drop well below $1,000, the electric bike’s future looks bright.

… the reason that electric bikes have absolutely taken off in markets like China and Europe is because those markets view them as a mode of transportation, not just a piece of sports or fitness gear.

…Times are changing, though, and 2015 looks like it could be the year of the cheap e-bike. We’re only two months into the year, and more than one crowdfunding campaign has written a tale of wild success by marketing a sub-$500 electric bike

Are we at an inflection point with ebikes in North America?

Other than the Sondors/Storm controversy (which could be nothing but fluff), what else has shown any hint of sub $1000 ebikes that are lithium battery powered and not complete junk?

Most known brands are increasing their msrps, which are well north of $2000.

I'd like to see affordable ebikes, but I don't see it.

A quality bicycle with no frills costs a good chunk of $1000. A quality battery also costs a good chunk of $1000. I think it's very unlikely that anyone could build a quality Ebike for under $1000. E-zip proved a workable ebike can be had under 1K, but that's BSO quality bike parts and bottom of the barrel ebike components.

Yeah, well it’s a hipster web site. But it is obviously prompted by the storm around the Sondors bike.

Still, you can get a basic light weight (5kg) 36v8.8ah kit for $250 + shipping (basically duplicating what Storm is doing). I expect to see more people targeting this price point and for sales to increase.

For price - yeah, I ride nice bikes. But look at people here – most people in ES (not all, but most) are just looking for a strong frame and good brakes to build into an ebike. Not a lot of Shimano 105+ components here (unlike say Germany where you do have to pedal a lot).

I think there is a big market in the US for a sub $1000 entry level bike. Certainly it hasn’t taken off in the US like it has in Europe. We are nearing an inflection point in the US.

$1k is the sweet spot for ebikes and I think it's achievable...

If we're doing theory craft ....

A commuter for most conditions

HASA CR9 Hybrid. AUD $350
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2014-hasa-cr-9-hybrid-mountain-road-bike-shimano-2/CR9

Grin tech Torque Arms V4. AUD$40

48v Bafang 500w CST motor with controlller kit ... USD$240 say AUD$320.
Why start at 500w you ask? Because initial impressions count and 250w simply isnt enough power to "wow" people.
http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2013-9T-F37E.74VMQ

Batteries :
48v 8Ah bottle battery and charger - USD $160 - AUD$200
This will give you around 25km range which is fine for commuting and will assist up to 25mph. first impressions count.
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/728-48v8ah-bottle-09-e-bike-battery-charger-battery.html

I'd personally get a bunch of multistar 6S 8000mAh + $8 Roswheel front tube pannier and cram 12S2P 16000mAh in it. It will be stealth as stealth can be. But LiPo isnt for everyone =)

I haven't included shipping, or lights, but what you've got is a reliable commuter for under AUD$1000 in parts.

Add maybe $200 for accessories/connectors/saddle bag and wrench time if you dont have spares or are not good with bikes.

$1000 ebike is doable, but it depends on the performance you want, and it's diy.

7 speed beach cruiser, around $150, BSO but a durable one. cheap DD kit around $300. 36v10 ah pingbattery, less than $450 shipped.

$100 left for stuff like a set of panniers, better seat, thudbuster, whatever your needs are. It would go 20 mph for about 12 miles, and reliably do a 10 mile commute.

To ride much farther or farther and faster, you likely would like a better bike, better battery, etc. But nobody gets that (the better bike) for a thou for everything, unless you really score on the used bike market. Even used, you are more likely headed to $1500 territory.

Nobody is going to flock to make as little money per unit as you get selling a $500 ebike.

Well, the question is whether it is the next big trend – whether it will take off in the US like is has in Europe and China. Right now Americans see bikes as an exercise tool. That is a key perception that can change with e-bikes.

I built an e-bike because I thought the Chevy Volt was wonderful, but didn’t have $40,000, the Specialized turbo looked fascinating, but I didn’t have the $7,000 laying around either, and just built a specialized turbo for $500 instead.

Anyone in the bike industry knows, you don’t make money selling bikes, you make money on parts and service. There is a huge potential for parts and service once people start feeding the addiction. The trick is getting them a taste of an e-bike. You could potentially make a fortune by selling accessories (fenders, racks, panniers, integrated lighting, battery holders, upgraded batteries, upgraded motors, extended range packs, etc).

(FYI for the shipping “bait and switch”, that is basically what Storm did – market an $800 bike for $499 + shipping and insurance (well with insurance it is closer to $1000). Still, if we see more simple entry level bikes, things could take off in the US…

I spent about $2000 for my Trek/MAC build - cash out of pocket. Not including labour. And there was a lot of that: to make the battery pack, get it securely mounted to the bike, assembly with all the controls, making it neat, etc. So if added in labour costs, that would put the eBike more in the $2500 range, which I consider the sweet spot. But that's for a quality battery that will last me upwards to 2000 charge/discharge cycles. Of course, most, even here on ES are not going to consider total life-time costs, because as mentioned, its not primary transportation. When you're car-free and it is primary transportation, and you life depends on it, then quality and safety become very important. When does the eBike trend happen in the USA? When we see record pricing for oil again and the masses look for alternatives. Anyone's guess when that might happen. Till then, its a fad for some and chasing the $500 eBike is itself a kind-of sport.

I purchased a new { but blemished] Gravity monster pro fat bike . Came with VEE 4" tires , Avid BB5 disc brakes and Bluto rockshox front suspension { just the front suspension forks cost $700 alone} ....the whole bike cost me $950 shipped. I then purchased a yescomusa 48 volt- 1000 watt hub motor for $193 shipped and a 48 volt - 22 a/h lifepo4 for $400 shipped.

So for around $1500 , I have what I consider to be a nice electric fat bike that will do around 35 mph on flat land.

Never under estimate the profit markup on items that come from overseas. My best friend owns a large retail store in my area. He has told me the profit he makes on items..for example....certain brand work boots from over seas, he pays $27 a pair { buys in
bulk} and sell them for $ 79 a pair....and he sells them like hotcakes .

The fat bike I purchased for $950 shipped, I would imagine the american company that sells them and buys them in bulk from overseas, pays around $450-$550 each.

Saddens me a bit. Its like watching wine enthusiasts hail the coming of two dollar bottles...

Kiriakos GR said:
ebikedelight said:
Never under estimate the profit markup on items that come from overseas.

What bothers me is the quality of parts that some people accept to import.
Cheap complete ebike at the retail range of 600-700$ they start rusting in just the first year, the base of the removable battery gets destroyed by humidity.

Small electric scooters covered with plastic covers, are get burned and destroyed by sun in 16 months, every clear plastic on them becomes yellowish and blurred.
speedometer, front lights, tail lights they start to become useless.

If I was offering such a quality of service to my customers as electrician? Today I would be in jail.

You are in jail, you live in greece for gods sakes. :mrgreen:

Samd said:
Saddens me a bit. Its like watching wine enthusiasts hail the coming of two dollar bottles...

competition results in lower prices , results in the ability for more consumers to purchase specific product.

I remember when lipo batteries 1st became widely available in the RC car/ plane hobby. Prices where outrageous because it was a newer technology with much less vendors competing....if it werent for competition and numerous more vendors competing for our business, ebikers that wanted hi capacity , hi voltage lipos would be paying 3x more then current prices.

Same thing will happen with the brushless hub motors....eventually better performing and more reliable ones will be selling for near the cost of the yescomusa generic ones.

Errrm. With cities (Paris, Oslo, etc.) starting to severely limit and even ban the use of the auto in urban neighbourhoods, might it make the "high" cost of a well designed/constructed ebike appear more "affordable"? (EG, currently can finance purchase of (suspected) well designed and built "power-assisted" bike for about 1/2 the cost of a monthly pass for "all you can eat" pubic transit. (Sorry, meant "public" here.) Def. better operating hours, no more "last mile",,,, etc.

Hillhater said:
... if you are getting good "value" for your dollar.

But ebike "value" priceless? (Comes included in cost to buy/maintain.) Time will tell with any product as far as reliability/maintenance are concerned. North Americans love "cheap stuff", but where the "ebike" is concerned, failure could cost lives.

L

LockH said:
Hillhater said:
... if you are getting good "value" for your dollar.

But ebike "value" priceless? (Comes included in cost to buy/maintain.) Time will tell with any product as far as reliability/maintenance are concerned. North Americans love "cheap stuff", but where the "ebike" is concerned, failure could cost lives.

L

That very interesting point L!
How did the car lobby have convinced the general public to buy the most stupidly expensive car while its in all other sections common to buy the most cheapest option ??
We should use teh same trick for ebikes !

Hehe... Watt the "car lobby" fails to mention, when you strip away the airbags, seat belts, crush zones (think "ebike") some of the risk shifts back to the vehicle operator (watt makes travels inherently safer for the rest of us). Biggest "car lobby" supporters? Hospitals/health care *industry*, exercise "clubs" (Free parking!), etc. Lots support the deaths and mayhem on our roads, unfortunately (But we NEED our cars!) Some LOVE to gamble (with others lives). "But being this is a modern SUV, the most powerful horseless carriage in the world and would flatten you, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" (Apologies to character "Dirty Harry" - aka Clint E., in movie "Dirty Harry".)

Hehe... Physics 101 the next "Big Tech Trend"

Ya know (back to thread title *affordable*), watt "E-Bikes" *don't* have as built in to owner cost to operate/maintain is SLOTH (one of the Christian "Seven DEADLY SINS")? Given that these daze (locally at least) one can finance the cost of a quality "store bought e-bike" for less than 1/2 the cost of a monthly pubic (sp?) transit pass (with better hours, no more "last mile", and no "seat sharing" or standing in crowded vehicles or peering wondering if/when next vehicle will arrive).

And comes with cost of a "Health Club" membership built into purchase cost. May seem a "No Brainer" to some. Given then the folks on Planet ES are a "DIY" buncha Rebels, it may have already reached the point where "mass marketed"/high volume manufacture may have finally outweighed the "Techno Weenie" aka "Knowledge-Based" road to Ebiker Enlightenment.

(Just my 2.125 cents opinion.)
L

7 yrs later, diy ebikes have taken a great swing in the right direction. During covid, bicycle sales went through the roof, and everyone was riding a limited power, legal, store bought ebike. The last month or two I have seen more diy stuff and it brings a smile to my face.

The sub-$1500 mail order e-bikes I see most often are stinky garbage for sure. They won't last long and they'll leave their buyers embittered about e-bikes (even though they really should be embittered about paying good money for stinky garbage).

Back