Calculate re-charging costs?

AndrewTO

1 mW
Anyway I can figure out, at least roughly, how much re-charging batteries will cost me?

I know there are a number of variables involved, like battery type and size, local rates, measurement period, maybe the type of charger used ..... other stuff I don't know about ..... :?

Anyone care to "spell it out" for me and show me what i'd need to know/do to figure this out, please?

And no, i'm not the primary bill payer at home. I just plunk my share on the table and it disappears. :lol:

PATIA!

There's ways to fine-tune the algorithm below to correct for efficiency of recharge, depth of discharge and such, but for a quick and fairly accurate answer:

1) Find out your local electricity rate in pennies per kilowatt-hour. This info is usually included on billing statements.

2) Find out the capacity of your batteries in kilowatt-hours. To do this, multiply the pack voltage times the pack amp-hours and divide by 1000. For instance, for four 12V 10ah SLA's:
48V X 10ah = 480 watt-hours = 0.48 kilowatt-hours.

3) Multiply the rate in cents times the battery capacity in kilowatt-hours. For instance, if electricity costs 10 cents per kwh, recharging the battery pack above costs:

10 cents X 0.48 = 5 cents

power costs for an ev, to compare with ICE gas costs
is quickly estimated by dividing battery cost by number of cycles.
power from the grid is a tiny bit more.

Back