What's with the word "Cheater"?

eSurfer

100 W
I can almost never ride the SART trail anymore without someone calling me a cheater. Today a lycra guy screamed it at me as he passed going the other way. So loud that I jumped. Ticked me off this time.

Do they really think we want to compete with them and are cheating? What has brought this term on? Is it the bike doping with electric motors controversy?

spinningmagnets said:
I am promoting the phrase: "I am cheating...on my car"
I love it. :)

amberwolf said:
some previous discussion
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=cheater&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=cheat*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
etc.

Thanks for that, but I'm wondering where they are getting the term and idea that we are trying to cheat them. Don't see that addressed anywhere there. Maybe I missed it.

Haven't been accosted yet, but prepared to respond "Then, why aren't you riding a Penny Farthing", or "I didn't know that bicycling was an autocracy and you were king".

I'm about to finish by first build so haven't started commuting yet but I can't even imagine a stranger yelling something random like that....

Should be entertaining lol.. At least throw in a dip shit! at the end of the cheating on car retort!

No doubt it's the recent mechanical doping stories fanning the flames. But it shows how deranged people can get, when they equate their size with their performance goals on the bike.

It's possible, that that guy got toyed with by an ebiker in the past. They just can't allow another bike to pass them, so they see you coming and start sprinting, only to realize later you are "cheating". But it sure isn't your fault the guy has 4 inches.

hehe "Saves me buying so much toilet paper!"
Per Miriam-Webster dictionary:
Simple Definition of cheat
: to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something
: to take something from (someone) by lying or breaking a rule
: to prevent (someone) from having something that he or she deserves or was expecting to get

So lessee... Which "rule" or "law" exactly?
Are you missing something (taken from you)?
Are you being prevented from sweating or pooping? (Sorry!)

Or maybe it's more complicated or something.

You will find this phenomena in every aspect of life. Just remember this quote when you are under attack from such nonsense:

Great minds discuss ideas;
average minds discuss events;
small minds discuss people

There is some strange idea that doping outside sports is cheating as well. How is it possible to cheat if you are not in a competition with someone? It has to be cheating with yourself, but as I understand the totalitarian state has not set any rules for that, yet ;)

They are cheating me...out of oxygen.

When i ride my velo many people, car drivers expecially give me thumb ups with a grin.
After a while i realized, why. They raise they thumbs because they think i am pedaling only and see this as a some kind of heroic effort, which deserves applause.
When i tell them i have a motor here too, they go hmmm...and get gloomy and confused. No heroes to praise, just some guy with this weird thing.
So i basically don"t react to thumb ups anymore. I don"t have a heart to rain on their parade these days anymore.
It"s just what it is, these kind of attitudes lie pretty deep.

I got that, the confusion part (excellent way to put it) the half dozen times I rode my bike up to the ski area with my snowboard strapped to the rack. People were in awe of my stamina and all around fitness level. I almost felt bad, like I let them done or something, when they realized I had the BBSHD helping out. It went from to "WOW," to "oh...". But then I could see the wheels turning in some of crowd, like "so he's cheating, but point is HE RODE HIS FATBIKE UP THE MOUNTAIN RIGHT UP TO THE LIFT!" That's never been done before, it never occurred to anyone it was an option. Probably 90% of that lift line crowd are cyclists and also a very percentage ride dirt bikes and bike both, but.... they all DROVE up ha ha.

Hell yeah I'm cheating, today I did a little aerial scouting to see where some of these trails start and end up. Looks like a fun ride eh? I've flown this area for around 40 years and just now started seeing things in a different light, thanks to how well the Sturgis Bullet BBSHD ride is working out. Guess I'm cheating twice. Three times, because I'm using Google Earth to scout some areas 100 miles away.

Attachments

• 4-17-16 008.jpg
    4-17-16 008.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 2,347
Things are different in the big city.

Yesterday I was riding and went whizzing by a big pack of lycras waiting to turn at a light, out on their sunday misery ride. Riding the grocery getter, which tops out at 19mph, they were eventually able to catch me. They paced me awhile, and we had a nice conversation about the e bike, how it's helped me so much recovering from the effects of west nile virus. After a few miles, I turned off to go to the flea market, and they rode on.

Same experience more or less, when I've talked with people on the dirt single tracks. It's just a mellower place to live around here. Now, those ladies that want to walk 4 abreast on the multi use path, that think bikes should not be allowed on the bike path, that's a different story. They get all TOWANDA, and think they own the trail.

Funny story about the lifties, for 20 years they thought I was stone crazy, for skinning up the mountain to snarfle up the fresh powder outside the ski area. Day the pow fell I'd beat them to the untracked all day on my telemark skis, but the next day with the area all tracked out I'd go climb the mountain next door, and ski some really juicy lines. I'd have an igloo built out there, often spending 2 or 3 days out of bounds. I'd swing over to the area for lunch every day though. :lol:

dogman dan said:
Things are different in the big city.

Yesterday I was riding and went whizzing by a big pack of lycras waiting to turn at a light, out on their sunday misery ride. Riding the grocery getter, which tops out at 19mph, they were eventually able to catch me. They paced me awhile, and we had a nice conversation about the e bike, how it's helped me so much recovering from the effects of west nile virus. After a few miles, I turned off to go to the flea market, and they rode on.

Same experience more or less, when I've talked with people on the dirt single tracks. It's just a mellower place to live around here. Now, those ladies that want to walk 4 abreast on the multi use path, that think bikes should not be allowed on the bike path, that's a different story. They get all TOWANDA, and think they own the trail.

Funny story about the lifties, for 20 years they thought I was stone crazy, for skinning up the mountain to snarfle up the fresh powder outside the ski area. Day the pow fell I'd beat them to the untracked all day on my telemark skis, but the next day with the area all tracked out I'd go climb the mountain next door, and ski some really juicy lines. I'd have an igloo built out there, often spending 2 or 3 days out of bounds. I'd swing over to the area for lunch every day though. :lol:

Dude, that ski story sounds like a blast. I would love to have that experience. I used to ski a lot, but I've skied OB only a few times. Got lost once. Kept going downhill and finally came across a road. This was just in So Cal, so the area wasn't that big. Was able to hitchhike back to the ski resort eventually.

eSurfer said:
I can almost never ride the SART trail anymore without someone calling me a cheater. Today a lycra guy screamed it at me as he passed going the other way. So loud that I jumped. Ticked me off this time.

Do they really think we want to compete with them and are cheating? What has brought this term on? Is it the bike doping with electric motors controversy?

I allowed a mt bike club to use some of my trails as part of the route to hold a 60mi mt bike race - my land was at about the halfway point. I found a spectator spot at a trail merge on my property, and watched and cheered next to my parked dirt bike. If I had a dollar for every bicyclist that offered to trade bikes, I could've bought another dirt bike.

If I were you, I would've spun around, chased down the lycra guy, and crashed him into the woods. F that guy. No offense to others, but as a trail owner, off-road bicyclists are the WORST jerks in the entire multi-use community.

JayCee said:
eSurfer said:

I allowed a mt bike club to use some of my trails as part of the route to hold a 60mi mt bike race - my land was at about the halfway point. I found a spectator spot at a trail merge on my property, and watched and cheered next to my parked dirt bike. If I had a dollar for every bicyclist that offered to trade bikes, I could've bought another dirt bike.

If I were you, I would've spun around, chased down the lycra guy, and crashed him into the woods. F that guy. No offense to others, but as a trail owner, off-road bicyclists are the WORST jerks in the entire multi-use community.

I have often fantasized about doing exactly as you suggest. Might feel good, but I'm afraid it would only make the situation worse.

When I was flying over the local trail network in town the other day, I noticed that one popular trail head has a newly constructed huge parking lot, so the MTBR's have a place to park their SUV's. :? But that's not cheating.....

LockH said:
Per Miriam-Webster dictionary:
Simple Definition of cheat
: to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something
: to take something from (someone) by lying or breaking a rule
: to prevent (someone) from having something that he or she deserves or was expecting to get

So lessee... Which "rule" or "law" exactly?

For many of us, it would be a 750W power limit and 20mph top speed limit. Agree with it or not, but if you violate them and use public rights of way anyway, then you're a cheater.

I haven't been called directly a cheater, but after some thinking, i've realized i was been called that but some people. Once, i was talking to the wonders of ebikes to some mate i meet on the road, and a third persone showed up, when he realized i was talking about ebikes, he kinda put on a face, and started talking about fair game. I'm not competing with anyone, but still, i'm being called cheater xDDD. People have watched too much Narcar or F1, or Giro or Tour. To me it's mostly a transportation item, but some people can't seem to frame it right and get a bit messed up on their mind with their egos hehehehe.

BiciMad said:
I haven't been called directly a cheater, but after some thinking, i've realized i was been called that but some people. Once, i was talking to the wonders of ebikes to some mate i meet on the road, and a third persone showed up, when he realized i was talking about ebikes, he kinda put on a face, and started talking about fair game. I'm not competing with anyone, but still, i'm being called cheater xDDD. People have watched too much Narcar or F1, or Giro or Tour. To me it's mostly a transportation item, but some people can't seem to frame it right and get a bit messed up on their mind with their egos hehehehe.

+1

Back