Norway's e-bike sales

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
... in 2016 expected to quadruple from in 2014

News from... Cyprus? Apparently:
http://famagusta-gazette.com/norways-ebikes-sale-in-expected-to-quadruple-from-in-p34338-69.htm

It is possible that 40,000 electric bicycles will be sold this year in Norway, which is four times more than in 2014, daily newspaper Aftenposten has reported.

and:
Eystein T. Stokstad, procurer for XXL, one of the biggest bicycle sellers in Norway, told Aftenposten that the company sold more than expected number of electric bicycles last year and that it has been extremely good this year as well.

"Electric bicycles take a great share of the total sale, but we count on that the number of sold bicycles in general will increase this year as well," he said.

8)

Isn't this a resultant of the "Femke" influence (young lady caught with a Vivax motor in her cross bike)? Perceived ponderousness of ebikes debunked and sales accelerated.

2old said:
Isn't this a resultant of the "Femke" influence (young lady caught with a Vivax motor in her cross bike)? Perceived ponderousness of ebikes debunked and sales accelerated.

Nah, it's because it's a bloody hilly country. ;)

That and there's a big push to encourage people onto bikes (and ebikes) and out of their cars. As the Norwegian population is generally quite active they probably don't need much convincing.

The government is all for expanding the bike infrastructure too and in some areas, like Oslo, they will even subsidize an ebike purchase up to the tune of 600 $US.

In the past year I've seen the local ebike presence where I usually park mine go from a couple to a dozen or more. In the small neighborhood I live they are everywhere.

Another fun fact; the ebike market in Western Europe is about 10x that of the US (1.6m annual sales as opposed to 150k if I remember correctly).

Back