E-bikes kit installation

Zdidge

10 µW
Hey. I'm new to the forum. I'm interested in converting my bike to electric. I'm not overly mechanical and am trying to find a bike shop to install a kit. That's the problem, no shops near me will do it or have experience doing that. Does anybody know a shop in the new England area that would help?
I have my eye on the Dillinger kit. That seems like the easier kit to install. I'm just worried, because my bike isn't steel framed.... Maybe torque arms will be enough, I'm not sure!

I'd love to install a kit, because it's much cheaper!
Steve

Where in New England, there is a guy in Vermont (Brattleboro) who has experience with Dillenger kits.
Chris

I'm near Boston. Vermont is a bit of a hike. Thanks for the reply!

I just looked it up. Boston to Brattleboro is a 2 hour drive. It might be worth the drive if he has good prices?

The Dillenger kit is extremely intuitive. All of the connectors are plug and play. The only "problem" is bunching the wires or locating a frame bag and "dumping" them in it. You should attempt to install yourself first. Get a kit with a Samsung or Panasonic battery.

Hello,

Glad to know you are considering one of our kits, which kit did you have in mind exactly?

We do have quite detailed manuals on our website that can give you a guide to the difficulty of the installs. Purchasing the toolkit with your conversion kit also allows you to have all the necessary tools to complete the changeover.

you can scroll down to the "Conversion Kit Manuals" section on our manual page and have a read through to see if you can undertake the build.

http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/dillenger-product-manuals/

Let me know if you have any questions about the conversion,

-Adam

The kit does seem relatively easy. Ideally, I'd like to get the rear Dillenger hub motor. That does seem to be more difficult though. Hmmm..

My bike frame is aluminum. Is that a problem? I know steel is ideal.

Hey Adam,

I've got my eye on the 1000 watt off road kit. It looks like a great kit for a first build - inexpensive too!

My bike is aluminum. Do I need a steel frame?

Zdidge said:
Hey Adam,

I've got my eye on the 1000 watt off road kit. It looks like a great kit for a first build - inexpensive too!

My bike is aluminum. Do I need a steel frame?

Generally speaking a steel frame isn't necessary for this kit. Of course if the option is there a steel dropout is going to be stronger then aluminium, but the 1000W kits are direct drive and don't produce a massive strain on the dropouts compared to a 1000W geared mac motor or similar. Your aluminium frame will be fine for this build.

In terms of difficulty, the build becomes a little complex with the addition to the Dillenger bash guard but apart from that is fairly straight forward. The bash guard is an extra and isn't necessary for the install, it just protects and hides the controller.

We have a new bundle page on our Australia site, which combines our expert mountain bike and 1000W Samsung kit as a package to purchase. There is an short video showing off the install of the kit on this bike if you are interested.

http://dillengerelectricbikes.com.au/diy-bundles/700c-expert-plus-off-road-conversion-kit.html

*fixed link

-Adam

Closest to Boston. These shops will sell an electric bike kit, installed. None I know of actually in Boston.

Call them and ask if they will install a kit you bring in.

BARNEYS BICYCLE INC 508-799-2453
582 Park Ave Worchester, MA 01603, USA
barneys@e-barneys.com
http://www.barneysbicycle.com/barneysbicycle/index.html

Seaside Cycle, Inc. 978.526.1200
23 Elm Street manchester by the sea, Massachusetts 1944, USA
bumpus@seasidecycle.com
http://seasidecycle.com

Zdidge said:
I just looked it up. Boston to Brattleboro is a 2 hour drive. It might be worth the drive if he has good prices?

I think he charges whatever dillenger charges for the kit and then just some $ to install it for you.
Burrows Specialized Sports
Address: 105 Main St, Brattleboro, VT 05301
Phone:(802) 254-9430

The guys name is Joe. He has a 1000W bike there you can test too with it installed. I was pretty impressed with the kit...

Back