daymak, emmo, motorino ebike question

Arj

1 µW
Hi Im new so please don't kill me if Im putting this in the wrong place, I tried my best to look for it but its kinda overwhelming atleast till I get used to it. Ok so Im looking at the Daymak EM1, Emmo knight GTS and Motorino XMr, im leaning toward the daymak cause its cheaper but do you guys have any suggestions or comments about any of those bikes? thank you

http://www.daymak.com/pages/scooters/em1.php

http://emmo.ca/knight-electric-motorcycle/

https://motorino.ca/motorino-xmr

Arj said:
Hi Im new so please don't kill me if Im putting this in the wrong place, I tried my best to look for it but its kinda overwhelming atleast till I get used to it. Ok so Im looking at the Daymak EM1, Emmo knight GTS and Motorino XMr, im leaning toward the daymak cause its cheaper but do you guys have any suggestions or comments about any of those bikes? thank you

Your profile doesn't say where you are located, but in any case, you might get more feedback if you were to join the Toronto Electric Riders Association (TERA) and post the question there.

http://www.meetup.com/Electric-Bicycles/messages/boards/

TERA has users of most of those scooter-style bikes, some of whom might give you some of their experiences.

I also looked at these 3 options before buying the Motorino XMR.

I have seen closely (not tested) the Daymak and it is definitely a cheaper built.
Emmo GTS is fairly well built, as well as the Motorino.

It may be a matter of preference but the Motorino is by far the best looking of the 3. And, from reading around, it does have the best motor, bigger magnets, with potentially much more power to be released from, and could lead to better reliability also. For these reason I went for Motorino.

Emmo and Motorino are at the same price (hence I was not sure btw the two). I contacted Motorino in BC (I am in Ottawa), they have been very nice and offered a pretty good remote service. You may want to address your concerns with the price. I think the market is competitive and you may receive a good deal.

Finally, if you are not in BC, you will need to get this shipped to your place. I am not that good with technical stuff but I was able to install all of it in few hours (and sometime with phone support from them). If you choose the option of installing it yourself, you can already save money here.

You'll need a friend, basic tools and a car jack to finish the installation. Motorino manual's was not specific to the XMr, and I advice to use other materials from daymak and EMMO.

Good luck.

FYI, see notes here from johnnyz...

johnnyz said:
skeetab5780 said:
Nice upgrades! I cannot believe that thing actually has pedals on it. Have you tried to pedal it, it must be slow.

What is the name and model of that bike. I have started to see similar bikes like this on EBAY and I've been curious as to how they are.

Thanks, and Im not done yet.

Cant pedal it they are just on there to satisfy ebike requirements in the province of Ontario Canada (which are a joke).

Its a Motorino XMR. However 2 other manufactures are also making their versions of this bike, Emmo and Daymak. I have tested each and the Daymak was awful. Poor fit and finish, small hub motor, limited speed even when taking off the governor, price $2300
The Emmo actually had better fit and finish than the Motorino in my opinion but again used small motor that got hot quick, controller allows torque but nothing else, slow speed in comparison, and the Motorino has more options, plus a 5 year warranty.

These bikes are based on a motorcycle frame and handle very well..big fat motorcycle tires real shocks make for a platform that will easily accommodate more power, as opposed to a regular mountain bike being modified with hub motor going 50 mph...not safe..

Stay tuned, as I build a 92 volt Batt pack, 18 Fet controller pulling 70 amps...hoping to get to 80 kph.

John

I have been riding my motoring xpr for 4 years now. And it is doing very well. Has about 12000 kilometres on it.

Very solid build. I have worked on {retired}. A day mark. And while cheaper. You can see why. I would never buy one I would sooner take the bus.

The motoring is very. Very stable.

Arj said:

Some of the eGroms have smaller rear wheels, and skinnier (thinner) tires on the rear, too. But, is that good, or bad?

I've owned 2 motorino's (current XPE), a Kaishan (excellent cruise control), and a Hemisphere (terrible skinny tire first generation). For me the most important piece, quality being equal, is having a dealer that I trust and where I'm treated fairly. They are a business and do need to make money to survive. Do a search for what people think about Motorino (and Steve) service- you'll find terrible to wonderful and everything in between. I've just had to talk to the dealership and trust my gut. That being said Motorino makes a great bike for an everyday ride. If you ride everyday the SLA's will likely last one year before needing replacement- ask the question to the dealership and see what kind of answer they give you. If they say three years of riding 15-20 km everyday (20ah battery), I'd be a little suspicious. After the SLA's do their time, that's when I go for the Lithium's. My ping's were excellent and the V4's will give years of service. Currently, in the XPE I have 50ah Lithiums. Just my 2 cents.

I would say I had a very bad experience with Motorino, there customer service is disgraceful. I found Steve in the Vancouver office to offer no help and his support emails were almost rude and they couldn't even give give me the settings for my Motorino LTi. The fools The battery and the controller in the downtube and they didn't even have the battery attached firmly it just moved up and down in the downtube banging on the controller that was at the bottom and fixed. They took sometimes up to a week to answer an email refused to return calls and when I threaten the phone Better Business Bureau and asked them to moderate the disagreement they stopped responding to my emails.

I wouldn't deal with them again if that is the last year by company in the country.

Bob Mutch.

I would say I had a very bad experience with Motorino, there customer service is disgraceful. I found Steve in the Vancouver office to offer no help and his support emails were almost rude and they couldn't even give give me the settings for my Motorino LTi. The fools, the battery and the controller were both loose inthe downtube and they didn't even have the battery attached firmly it just moved up and down in the downtube banging on the controller that was at the bottom and floating. Very poor design and they just didn't care.

They took sometimes up to a week to answer an email refused to return calls and when I threaten to phone Better Business Bureau and asked them to moderate the disagreement they stopped responding to my emails.

I wouldn't deal with them again, unless I have to, if they were the last ebike company in the country. I recommend people to buy any other brand than Motorino

Steve in my opinion is a disgrace to the company.

Bob Mutch.

bobmutch said:
I would say I had a very bad experience with Motorino, there customer service is disgraceful. I found Steve in the Vancouver office to offer no help and his support emails were almost rude and they couldn't even give give me the settings for my Motorino LTi. The fools, the battery and the controller were both loose inthe downtube and they didn't even have the battery attached firmly it just moved up and down in the downtube banging on the controller that was at the bottom and floating. Very poor design and they just didn't care.

They took sometimes up to a week to answer an email refused to return calls and when I threaten to phone Better Business Bureau and asked them to moderate the disagreement they stopped responding to my emails.

I wouldn't deal with them again, unless I have to, if they were the last ebike company in the country. I recommend people to buy any other brand than Motorino

Steve in my opinion is a disgrace to the company.

Bob Mutch.

I'm going to put my two cents in because this is an important question. My first e-scooter was a Daymak Ecostar, 48v. It was worth the 600 I paid for it, used, but if it didn't come with good batteries it would have been worth closer to 300 - 400, in very good condition. The frame on the Daymak was straight tubes with elbows welded on for any angles, with one tiny tack weld per joint. Given how thin the tube walls are that is probably all they wanted to risk for welds, without blowing through the tubes. Even with fresh batteries it's top speed never quite made it to 30 kph and the bike was in good running condition.
I bought two used 48v Motorinos in a package deal last fall, a first generation XPV (Piaggio clone, looks like the Yamaha Vino), and an XPH. The XPV has a lot of miles on it but was still night and day compared to the Daymak. Like comparing a small motorcycle or ML class gas scooter to a kid's toy. Motorcycle quality bent tube frame, ABS hydraulic disc brakes and high quality suspension and gauges. I have heard they have licensing from Yamaha and use stock Yamaha parts for the brakes, suspension and the gauges do look just like same generation Yamaha (again, the Vino). No more bottoming out the front and/or rear suspension on even small bumps or divots in the road.
I am now using the Motorino XPH and what a beautiful ride. The Motorino CCT controller/motor design is 'as advertised'. I have the same or a bit better acceleration curve as a four door, four cylinder from a dead stop, both Motorinos are more stable on the road than the Daymak was, with much better suspension and braking. Let's just say, 'you get what you pay for' and I would rank the three brands Motorino, Emmo and Daymak at the bottom by a long shot. What the Motorino has over the Emmo is the CCT drive system.

As for the customer service aspect, Motorino's head office does unfortunately have a fair number of blemishes on google reviews, going back to when ebikes were far less common. Seems like they were or are more interested in getting them to market, rather than providing follow up service. Daymak's Toronto and Mississauga dealers, again far worse and quite a few horror stories, including on new purchases. I'm currently trying to get replacement brake shoes for another e-scooter and contacted Ebikes Barrie solely because they have a great reputation. The Hamilton, Ontario Emmo dealer also has a very good reputation and has been in business for years.

Back