India’s first crowdfunded electric bike

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Milltex Engineers Pvt. Ltd, from Coimbatore, (per Wiki, the "second largest city in the state after Chennai and the sixteenth largest urban agglomeration in India"), a supplier and manufacturer of jute mill machinery since 1979, "India’s first crowdfunded electric bike project unveiled
Milltex Engineers’s Spero electric bicycle is powered by a 48-volt battery powerful enough to run the bike 100km on a single charge at 25km/h". Seen here:
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/U...owdfunded-electric-bike-project-unveiled.html

electricbike1-kga--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

From January, 2014:
[youtube]w6R1owmYN3w[/youtube]

... from a land where "traffic restrictions" is a popular phrase. :)

By the way? Currently 29900 Indian Rupees equals 445.628 US Dollars. :)

Drat. Deliveries will be only be done in India . Anybuddy here on ES from India? Tushar D? numberonebikeslover? Got any friends across the border?

I think they missed the audience. It needs to carry things. Perhaps 3 people. An integral rear rack is a must, and a 12mm shafted motor is going to last a mile under that load on them streets. It needs to be fwd so that folk can protect it. This might drive forward the production of motors that bring the wires out better and use good sized shafts that take a bearing. We all know how it's done.

RAISED INR 31,11,100
GOAL INR 30,00,000
DAYS LEFT 7
FUNDERS 121
104% FUNDED

8)

BTW... As seen on Times of India site
images

(Times Internet is the largest Indian Internet Network and the digital venture of Times of India, India's largest media and entertainment group. TIL websites are among the fastest growing Web / Mobile based networks worldwide. Since its inception in 1999,Times Internet has led the Internet revolution in India and has emerged as India's foremost web entity, running diverse portals and niche websites.

As per comScore web alone, it reaches 60 million visitors. As per Google analytics it reaches over 150m visitors and serves 2 billion page views every month across web and mobile, with businesses across news, entertainment, sports, local, ecommerce, classifieds, startup investments, local partnerships and more. Today, it has a diversified set of 22+ digital consumer-facing businesses.)

Coolpeds launches stylish e-bike at $500
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...tylish-e-bike-at-500/articleshow/53192564.cms

Indiegogo pricing, of course, comes with the risks inherent in crowdfunding, but even the estimated retail pricing slides in below the four-figure mark at $799 to $999. If Coolpeds can get it to market within that range, we have a feeling a lot of folks will be riding around the city on iBikes.

:)

wineboyrider said:
? Bet India would be a good competitor for building electric motors etc?
I had thatought one of the "big" geared motor companies *was* indian, but I tried to find the thread I'd read it in and can't. Either BMC or MAC, I thought. :/

I had a Kollmorgen motor that was made in India it was a bldc scooter motor that a lot of us on ES have used. Other than that you would think that the electric bicycle would be more adopted in India considering how crowded a lot of their cities are?

wineboyrider said:
I wonder if the parts are Chinese? Bet India would be a good competitor for building electric motors etc?

Hehe... Haven't been keeping up with ES Newz maybe?

The state government has decided to set up the world's largest, high-end, electric bicycle manufacturing facility with a capacity of 15 million cycles per year, on an area of 300 acres, in Ludhiana.
http://www.business-standard.com/ar...o-revive-bicycle-industry-116052101109_1.html

(First mention on ES back on May 9)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80298

RAISED INR 33,22,600
GOAL INR 30,00,000
DAYS LEFT 5
FUNDERS 128
111% FUNDED

8)

wineboyrider said:
Lock H wrote:
Hehe... Haven't been keeping up with ES Newz maybe?
Actually what I meant was competitive electric bike components. :mrgreen:

Hehe... Well, news from India do say "The state government has decided to set up the world's largest, high-end, electric bicycle manufacturing facility with a capacity of 15 million cycles per year" so I was hoping their electric components aren't ALL imported from... elsewhere. But also this center in India WILL (hopefully) sell parts...

(Still climbing:)
RAISED INR 35,16,500
GOAL INR 30,00,000
DAYS LEFT 4
FUNDERS 135
117% FUNDED

RAISED
INR 38,64,900
GOAL INR 30,00,000
DAYS LEFT 0
FUNDERS 146
129% FUNDED

8)

After a blockbuster 1st round of crowdfunding, the Spero E-Bike is back, on popular demand!
Over 100 E-Bikes were booked in the first campaign!
Collected >Rs. 38 Lakhs, exceeding the original goal by >25%!

Round Two:
https://www.fueladream.com/home/campaign/303

(Right now: RAISED INR 9,01,600
GOAL INR 15,00,000
24 DAYS LEFT
52 FUNDERS (60% FUNDED))

PluginIndia reviews bike:
[youtube]ZsK5krqB2QE[/youtube]

Gives the rider a whole lot of more thrill!

Hi LockH

The bike is worth at the crowd funding price. But not worth at all for the regular price.

But the fact is in India people are not willing to spend so much on a bicycle, let alone an electric bicycle. We also have an electric bicycle for less than $350 which comes with SLA batteries.

There is a very small market for brands like Trek, Bergamont, Scott, etc. But slowly picking up.

I am guessing The Spero Electric bicycle uses generic chinese components, same available with bmsbattery and greenbikekit.

If i had not bought my conversion kit already, I would have definitely gone for the Spero.

Right now I have a Q100 24v running on 36v which I got from greenbikekit. I have installed the system on a Trek 3700 which i had bought long back.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

amberwolf said:
wineboyrider said:
? Bet India would be a good competitor for building electric motors etc?
I had thatought one of the "big" geared motor companies *was* indian, but I tried to find the thread I'd read it in and can't. Either BMC or MAC, I thought. :/
Falco motors manufacturers motors in Pune. I also live in Pune.
I had enquired about whether they sell here, but they said it is only exported.

India can make very good quality motors and components. But there is no market for these motors here.

There has been a great push for renewable energy by our Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

India is soon going to see an Electric motorcycle and an Electric Moped launching soon.

Price would be around $1500 for both.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Hi Tushar D

"... not worth at all for the regular price."

Hehe... Recall it was the "wealthy" that first started buying the "horseless carriage". The Sultan at Constantinople in Turkey in 1888, his electric "dog-cart" seen here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8099&p=386062#p385911
file.php

NO idea watt price Magnus Volk in the UK was asking for one of his electric carts...

LOTS of old pics and info about re the "wealthy" pulling political strings to force other road traffic (pedestrians, cyclists, horse-drawn carts, etc) OFF the roads so they could "drive faster".

I also suspect that today while lead-acid may be "cheaper" that the cost of lithium cell batteries will drop as manufacturing volumes increase.

Local to you, Hero Electric seems to have had lots of success with electrics? :)

EDIT: Today/right now:
RAISED INR 9,83,400
23 DAYS LEFT
57 FUNDERS
66% FUNDED
:wink:

LockH said:
Hi Tushar D

"... not worth at all for the regular price."

Hehe... Recall it was the "wealthy" that first started buying the "horseless carriage". The Sultan at Constantinople in Turkey in 1888, his electric "dog-cart" seen here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8099&p=386062#p385911
file.php

NO idea watt price Magnus Volk in the UK was asking for one of his electric carts...

LOTS of old pics and info about re the "wealthy" pulling political strings to force other road traffic (pedestrians, cyclists, horse-drawn carts, etc) OFF the roads so they could "drive faster".

I also suspect that today while lead-acid may be "cheaper" that the cost of lithium cell batteries will drop as manufacturing volumes increase.

Local to you, Hero Electric seems to have had lots of success with electrics? :)

EDIT: Today/right now:
RAISED INR 9,83,400
23 DAYS LEFT
57 FUNDERS
66% FUNDED
:wink:
Hero electric is so far the most successful of the lot. Mostly into electric moped/scooters. But the products are all either slow speed or with lead acid batteries.
I am waiting for a moped soon to be launched by Ather Energy
Looks cool, developed inhouse. Only thing to be imported will be the lithium ion batteries.

f63175ffc11423f19f330f858d52b5e7.jpg

2f6deb611dcbf533d2a2f7c97604902d.jpg

1d672dda7106184b7baf6bf5c36f621f.jpg

Tushar D said:
Hero electric is so far the most successful of the lot. But the products are all either slow speed or with lead acid batteries.
I am waiting for a moped soon to be launched by Ather Energy
Looks cool, developed inhouse. Only thing to be imported will be the lithium ion batteries.

Lovely, that Ather bike. Looks hard to pedal? :p

Back in the daze of riding with lead batteries, I had to learn to minimize energy consumption (only 2x 12V 10Ah SLA batts in series). So stuff like anticipating stops up ahead to avoid using brakes (no regenerative braking). To use kinetic energy stored to coast and slow down gradually. But also from stops to pedal from zero motor RPMs to get the motor more "up to speed" before pressing that little red button to energize the electric motor.

So, what is "slow"? And watt is "fast"... In crowded urban environments? Is this traffic in Pune "fast"?
[youtube]AtEfAcWPvps[/youtube]

`Round here (Toronto, Canada) laws set max. power for the motor at 32km/h... about 20 miles per hour. So no problem rolling up the side of "fast" traffic to pass hundreds and thousands of car drivers all rushing to get to the next stop light/sign. :)

Hero electric has few mopeds which go 45kmph. Rest all do max 30kmph.
Same laws are apllicaple here as are in UK.
Traffic in Pune is pretty much as seen in the video. Only less jammed.

Indian market is very price sensitive. Anything priced unreasonably high has a high probability of failure.

But times are changing. There is a growing awareness and inclination towarda renewable energy. Which will also help in people opting for electric vehicles.

Electric cars so far have received poor response.

I appeal to their wallets. [Hehe]

Again locally, currently (ebiker joke) can finance the purchase of one new "ebike" (with a thing termed a "good credit rating") such that monthly payments are about HALF the cost of a monthly "Metropass" for all-ya-can-eat use of pubic transit. (Sorry, spellcheck keeps getting "public" misspelled.) So, service right to your door (no more "last mile"), operates (usually) 24/7, always a free seat, travel out in the "fresh" air (watts left of it), cost of electricity cheaper per mile than food...

Hehe... "traffic less jammed". Sometimes, and not all the time? Locally (again) developers build more and more condoms (sp? high rise, multi-unit housing) to pack more and more people into each square mile. (Translates as more and more vehicles. And they're buying more and more larger and larger(heavier) vehicles also.)

I also like to point out to the locals that more and more cities and neighbourhoods now are going "car free", to severely restrict and even ban the use of the private "car" for personal use.

Back