Stuck in Upstate NY need to be Stealth

Palmer45

1 µW
Outside of NYC, NY State classifies electric bikes as "Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle doesn’t qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and doesn’t have the same equipment."

Therefore, it is technically illegal to have an ebike (although they sell the commercial units at my local bike shop).

I want to mod my Royce Union bike so that I can go farther or make safe/quick trips to the store. I've been reading and researching for a few weeks and I haven't found a combination that I believe is stealth enough. Please note that I would like to go with a mid-drive unit BBSHD or BBS02 and 52V batter pack (not stealth).

-Royce Union Mtb with Shimano 21 Speed 26" Tires, I'm open to purchasing a used bike or newer bike, but need suggestions.
-Ebike Kit Rear Wheel (500-1000W)
-48-52V Battery

I'm open to all suggestions as I've been reading your posts, blogs, and suggestions already. The only reason I can't pull the trigger on what I want to buy is because I can't afford to get a ticket or any sort of violation.

Thank you.

Brandon

i can think of plenty of reasons why you can't afford to get caught breaking the law. Maybe you're planning to run for office, or you're military and in officer training, or you have a scholarship that's honor based. But it could also be because you're on parole, probation, or on the lamb. What ever the reason, it's your own, and you don't need to explain.

That said, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. There is no system so stealth that it won't go unnoticed by an officer looking for a reason to stop you. If the police have reason to know you or take interest in you, they're going to spot anything even slightly amiss about you, your behavior, or your bike.

I not one for paying much attention to ebike laws. I flaunt them often, but in a responsible manner, and with full knowledge that if I get caught, I can pay my fine and move on. I'll also often advice people not to worry about the letter of the law, and follow the spirit of the law instead. But in your case, it sounds like an ebike isn't for you.

Wow, I thought that was just in the NYC, like weird landlord/tenant laws.

http://www.evelo.com/new-york-state-electric-bike-laws-definition/
Man, that's ridiculous.

If you can't afford to get 'caught', don't do it. I'd be interested however if johnny law could say anything, without some sort of proof it was in use. Also, if you don't flaunt it's use there is likely little chance of being picked out, like DS also said.

If you didn't notice- much of rule-of-law is like this, enacted and/or phrased/worded so it's nearly impossible or ridiculous to follow completely, and then 'they' always have one up on you. It encourages people to keep their heads down and not buck the system, imo. A form of psycological control.

Just do the middrive (if you can 'afford' using it).
Or consider a NY class C or B moped. https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-moped

A mid drive will never be stealth. It's a lump under your crank. What else can it be.
A lot of gear hubs look like hub motors. As do some dynamo's. If you hide your rear wheel with panniers that hold your batteries and fit a small gear hub to a single speed bike I don't see many circumstances where you would be found out.

You could always claim your front hub motor was a dynamo.....

Yep, NY state still has a stupid prohibition on all motorized bikes.

Like said above, if you are on probation, parole, etc, it might not be worth the risk. Nothing is really all that stealth.

Most stealthy, is a type of motor hard to find now. The crystalyte 400 series motor is known to be extremely quiet, and in a rear motor it can almost hide behind gears and a brake disk. Then,,, you ride stealth. just go 15 mph max, and look normal.

Sometimes you can still find those old 400 series motor being sold used. Check our sale used section, check ebay, etc.

If you just don't want a ticket because you don't have lots of money, different deal. Get any smaller geared type hub motor that can hide behind the gears. It will make some noise, but not a lot. And again, keep it mellow. Chances are you will be fine if the local cops don't have a hard on for you. Cops tend to ignore people that are not causing any problem.

Not riding stealth, is on the sidewalk if that's illegal, wrong way or wrong side of the road, blowing the stop signs, and in general hauling ass everywhere. If you are not riding like that, why would a cop even look at you very hard.?

dogman dan said:
Not riding stealth, is on the sidewalk if that's illegal, wrong way or wrong side of the road, blowing the stop signs, and in general hauling ass everywhere. If you are not riding like that, why would a cop even look at you very hard.?

This is how I kinda feel. Just don't ride reckless and keep your eyes open. I'm in Upstate, NY as well and am building a 'Street Fighter' style stealth bike. I don't have any fear that I'll garner a ton of attention, but we don't have a ton of police activity around where I live.

If you have deep pockets, you could always goma Vivax Assist and stuff 18650s into the frame.

images

Very hard to spot.

Hi Brandon
I'm around the other side of the lake from you (Toronto), however down the lake from you in Rochester, ES user Troy doesn't seen to have any probs doing stuff like cruising in the Finger Lakes:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82043&p=1205618

Ya not sure yer fears aren't a bit overblown? Tap w/Troy maybe?

Cheers from the other colonies
L

Just take a mountain bike and convert it to electric. Make sure it's not too fast, and make sure no crazy wires are sticking out. I have been ebiking for years and never had an issue with the police.

Back