Danger! Twisting throttle in wrong direction.

Boyntonstu

10 kW
Today, my instinct to twist the throttle in a "pull back" fashion to slow down almost caused a crash.

When I flew airplanes, I pushed the throttle forward to increase power.

To cut power, I pulled it back.

Just like pulling the reins when driving my mule team.

Any ideas?

Use a left hand twist throttle on the right?

I find a thumb throttle mounted under the RH bar is safest....push to accellerate, and if you get jerked backwards..it cuts power.
It also leaves all your fingers free for brakes or just a firmer bar grip without having to keep your wrist steady on a twist grip.

I use a 1/2 twist wrist & hand throttle on right side, actuated by my thumb via a motorcycle fatigue/cruise plastic thing that I've cut & shaved to leave more hand room to actuate brakes & grip handles.

High-Quality-font-b-Motorcycle-b-font-Throttle-Assist-Plastic-font-b-Motorcycle-b-font-Motor.jpg

melodious said:
I use a 1/2 twist wrist & hand throttle on right side, actuated by my thumb via a motorcycle fatigue/cruise plastic thing that I've cut & shaved to leave more hand room to actuate brakes & grip handles.

Why not a thumb throttle?

Flew more than you rode motorcycles I guess. Upside down on the left side will reverse the action for you.

I don't know, if having trouble after >1k miles of riding, it's more of an attention/concentration thing imo- that should be more than enough time to know the controls. It is true of course a thumb or reversed twist throttle would have a very different dynamic though. I'd recommend perhaps PAS, but the basic cadence versions seem pretty rudimentary and coarse.

Shows how deep that pilot training gets driven into you. It's nothing like driving habits that are far more casual.

Solved:

If I hold the throttle at the end and I need to brake I must let go and move to the left to reach the brake cable pull.

Like driving a car with the right foot for gas and brake.

If I hold the throttle close in, I get into trouble.

(I use left for brake and right for gas in my cars)

9095b49ea9.png

Hillhater said:
I find a thumb throttle mounted under the RH bar is safest....push to accellerate, and if you get jerked backwards..it cuts power.
It also leaves all your fingers free for brakes or just a firmer bar grip without having to keep your wrist steady on a twist grip.

I use this setup too its by far the safest, i do find on a long run on a cold night my thumb starts to get cold so I'm tempted to get some wind deflectors for the finishing touch.

Ianhill said:
Hillhater said:

I use this setup too its by far the safest, i do find on a long run on a cold night my thumb starts to get cold so I'm tempted to get some wind deflectors for the finishing touch.

After I discovered this method shown in the photo, I said to myself, "Why didn't I think of it before?"

Quite a safe felling.

BTW I wear gloves.

No ebrakes? I assumed you were not on the brakes at the time. Looks like you have a full twist throttle, cut that sucker in half and make a half twist. Then you just relax your grip on half your hand, and the throttle snaps to zero.

That flying instinct to slam the throttle back towards you will remain though.

dogman dan said:
No ebrakes? I assumed you were not on the brakes at the time. Looks like you have a full twist throttle, cut that sucker in half and make a half twist. Then you just relax your grip on half your hand, and the throttle snaps to zero.

That flying instinct to slam the throttle back towards you will remain though.

When I see a car coming at me, I find it hard to relax my grip.

My instinct is to reach for the lever and somehow that increases the throttle.

In the outward grip position , I cannot reach the lever without relaxing my grip; impossible.

I have full confidence now that the throttle will be off when I need emergency braking.

Back