6 or 7 or 8 gear, maximun

7 on most generic hub motors, ( not the big motors, the common size ones) unless you install a special freewheel. If the bike is an 8 speed, just use a 7 speed gear, and adjust the derailleur to hit the 7 gears with the stops. ( 8 speed will be too wide)

If your bike is 9 speed, you can get the 9 speed screw on freewheel that will fit, because the 9 speed chain is so skinny. But I don't think its worth it. you won't use more than the highest three gears, if not even only the top gear.

Change the 9 speed to a 7 no so hard, or expensive. new chain, new shifter on the bars.

If your pie takes a cassette, then it should fit 9 no problems.

Markz bike you could remove the chain, its a small motorcycle and unless ridden very slow, not worth pedaling it. No need to ever shift it to lower gear.

Ok ok I was a bit dramatic there
I actually do pedal when I run outta juice, helping it up a hill or just starting out. I also do a lot of fake pedaling TBH. Mainly when I see a tree hugger type or granolas on the pathways, or some children, couples with pets, old people, the fuzz, park ranger, give my legs a stretch, turning a corner at high speeds.

But changing gears, my Townie 21D does not have a RD. I need to take the Cyclone 3k BB/crank/arms off go back to normal crank, sell C3k, and slap on a 7/8 spd RD, shifters and make it all smooth, then I may actually break a sweat.

FWIW, I have a street bike that when run on the right voltage battery has similar power to Markz. Most of the time, I prefer to run 48v, and limit wattage to around 1500w.

90% of the time I ride it slow, at least relative to its top speed of 32 mph. I like to ride 18mph, because with the bikes gearing, top gear is my comfortable pedaling cadence at 18 mph. This pedaling helps my range, but mostly by riding slow, not my puny effort.

The result is about the same as if I rode 30mph, that bike stays in top gear 99.9% of the time. I only shift down to limp home with a 98% used up battery. Its a 7 gear bike, and it stays in 58 front 14 back all the time.

My off road bikes are different, they do shift a lot, and mostly ride in gears as low as 38 front, and middle of the cluster in the rear. But even so, 7 rear gears is plenty. With the motor, you don't need a cluster with lots of choices.

One off road bike is 1000w, and it gets pedaled continously in a middle gear. I ride it about 12-15 mph. The other bike is 2000w, and gets pedaled only when its stalling out in bottomless sand, or hills of above 20% grade. I ride it like a trials motorcycle most of the time, standing on the pedals. I leave it in that middle gear, rarely shifting, and pedal only when I slow to 10 mph by a hill or sand. It goes 25 mph most of the time. ( slow wind motor, or it would be 35 mph)

I use 7sp 11t but needs a washers for a shoulder for the frame and need a spacer washer I use those slot washers for the 10mm shoulder and so the chain doesn't hit the frame

Back