I ordered a new em3ev battery

biggy

100 mW
I currently am running a eBay Bought hailong 3 battery. After 5 months of daily riding I noticed my capacity had gone down about five miles and I just recently saw a video of Bruno taking a tour of the em3ev factory so I decided to check them out and I bought a shark pack from them which has not arrived yet and I figured I'd let you guys know what I thought so I'm going to be updating this thread regularly when I receive my package and when I test it out. I am extremely hard on my bikes I take them off road and I go long distance on Road. I ride in the rain, I'll ride in the snow too. Judging by Bruno's video em3ev batteries are built far superior to the one I have been using and have had to repair more than once so I'm excited to see what a real quality battery can do and what kind of abusive can you take. :twisted:

How long did your previous pack last, what was its voltage and capacity Ah?
If you do shallow discharges and charge any chance you can, then your battery will last a long time. Also I store my battery packs at 3.50-3.90V overnight, then a half hour before I want to leave I charge it up 100%.

its a unit power pack haillong 3 i got from ebay.13ah 52v. it was suppose to be LG cells inside but when a charge wire to the bms shorted due to the cell pack smacking around inside the case pinched it. i saw fst cells inside. i repaired it and it was fine. anyways i ride on average 6 miles a day. and i top off every night. i have tested the range to about 16 or 17 miles Full Throttle even downhill. i live in a hilly area. So last few times i made that long trip ive noticed i lost about 5 miles and i feel like im loosing more range every charge. i have ran this set up for 5 months. Even though they were not name brand sells they did give me the range I want it at first and compared to my 16 amp hour 48v LiPO batteries but now I can see the capacity greatly reduced and the voltage sag when Full Throttle is a lot more than it was and it has not been 600 Cycles yet which the data sheet said it would at least get. so i got a shark pack from em3ev and im just waiting for it to arrive.

What kind of motor and controller does that beast have? How many amps? I'm curious if cells with a higher discharge rate would last longer. Lots of people follow the suggestion of 20-80% charge, but I wonder if higher current draw on the batteries can also shorten life. Five months is way too soon for a battery to give up the ghost!

ions82 said:
What kind of motor and controller does that beast have? How many amps? I'm curious if cells with a higher discharge rate would last longer. Lots of people follow the suggestion of 20-80% charge, but I wonder if higher current draw on the batteries can also shorten life. Five months is way too soon for a battery to give up the ghost!

I believe it would, because I think about it this way.
Say you have a 18650 with a continuous rating of say 10A, then you use a full 9.25A all the time.
That will not last as long as if you were to use say 5A.
It makes logical sense because the can is working harder right.
So putting more in parallel reduces the load on the 18650 can.
10S5P 36V 10Ah 50A
10A(continuous) x 5P = 50A(continuous)
2.5Ah x 5P = 10Ah
Longest life for battery would be using 25A and only charging to 42V(max charge on 10S) right before you leave, and only going down to 37V, then storing it until you want to ride again.

Rocky Mountain Element and that frame looks like a small frame to me.
Seems like a thin rear motor, perhaps its a 9C clone in a 35H.

True dat, true dat.
That is exactly why the price tag is higher then "repairing more than once" DIY battery learning experience, or ebay/alibaba/aliexpress crap shoot of unknown seller.

biggy said:
em3ev batteries are built far superior to the one I have been using and have had to repair more than once so I'm excited to see what a real quality battery can do and what kind of abusive can you take. :twisted:

i am using a ebay 9c clone kit. My watsapp meter clocked my controller at 42 amps Peak after the shunt modification.the caps are only rated for 60v and i dont remeber how many fetts.. yep it is the 16 1/2 small frame but take a 26inch wheel. i love it and it has a bmx feel to it. I was kind of worried about having a carbon seat stay but this thing is really holding up to some abuse. i shopped around the net for a while before i ended up with this frame and it came with a fox float air shock. about $150 usd. i still need to find a decent air Fork because I like to jump and crazy stuff like that and the fork I have on there is a cheapo that keeps bottoming out super hard. i have a few more builds i will upload.

Do NOT top it off every night! Keep it between 75% and 25% for usage and store at 50%.

132291_bb.png

Using it 100% to 50% is much worse than 75% to 25% while using the same capacity.

You have to match the battery cell in the number of parallel with the controller I always double my battery I have a 200 amp cell I run it at 80 amp. 1,300 cycles 5yr old and going.

999zip999 we have already verified that the cells inside the old pack we're garbage no name brand. The battery that I am waiting for has the highest output rating cell and it should be fine. over kill on the battery capacity is one way to do it but not necessary when you have quality cells with high amp discharge ratings. Not to mention the BMS controls the output of the pack. also a nice feature on my new pack is that it has a Bluetooth BMS that I can monitor everything.. i use my ebike every day so i will not need to put my battery to storage voltage.. but i can experiment with different charge cycles. anyways.. on the black specialized with the rack ,those cranks are some old profile racing cranks i had laying around. i converted to a 44t- 12t single speed to get rid of chain slap and so i can peddle after topped out at 48mph. that black bike with the rack is my r&d bike. it has delta/wye on the fly and dc-dc boosters paralleled with resistors for load sharing. Powered by two 16 amp hour 6 s lipos. but anyway i will post pics and a ongoing reveiw of what i think of the em3ev shark pack when it gets here. i am pretty happy so far with their customer service price and components. im so excited!!! more power!!!!! lol

999zip999 said:
That battery can not support your controller. Then hills ? How hot does your motor get. Use the hand test ?

the motor does not get hot at all. it only gets warm to the touch when riding trails off road the 42amp peak i recorded happend when i purposely ran my bike up a extremely steep incline until it stopped climbing.

Big-E the motor getting warm is good. The rear app no name cells may not be. Quality is the way to go eye discharge versus high capacity. I choose high discharge what are we talking about. 2,500mah or 3,000 - 3,500 mah. I go 2,500mah 20amp cell. Just my personal opion I trust Paul over ?

999zip999 said:
Big-E the motor getting warm is good. The rear app no name cells may not be. Quality is the way to go eye discharge versus high capacity. I choose high discharge what are we talking about. 2,500mah or 3,000 - 3,500 mah. I go 2,500mah 20amp cell. Just my personal opion I trust Paul over ?

the invoice says high-energy 35e cells. the data sheet says 3350mah but they are labeled 3500mah. this is whats coming from em3ev. but the old ebay pack had 2500mah fst cells in it and was suppose to be LG cells. i was not happy when i saw that. it was 14s 4p and supposed to be 13 amp hours but when we do the math with the cells that I found it's only 10 amp hours. not cool. the bms on the old pack is only rated for 30a continuous discharge so this may be where our misunderstanding came in because when I record my Peak amps on my controller I was using lipos with no BMS :wink: my bad brother

ok so now zip had me thinking. I was mistaken about the cells that are coming in my new pack after further review of the datasheet .the Samsung e35 have a 2.2C continuous discharge rate and a 3.7C burst discharge rate. so thats 8a/13a so in a 4p pack max discharge is 32a/52a. So the new pack is not a high drain pack like i thought but it still will work on my bike. im just going to have to keep a eye on my discharge and adjust my BMS accordingly or if worst case scenario switch my controller out for a lower draw controller which I do have laying around but who wants to do that lol :lol: anyways thanks guys. I wouldn't have thought twice about it unless somebody said something.

:bolt: ok i got the shark pack from em3ev in the mail last week. it didnt take long to get here and they were really good about communicating with me and answering any questions above and beyond that I had. the install was really easy and i was able to put my connector on quickly. it was physically smaller than my other battery pack even though they look very similar so it gave more room for the battery to easily detach and reattach which I was very happy about. after testing for a week the ah is right on the money at about 13ah which I was able to measure with a Bluetooth BMS that came in the new battery pack and also my daily trip I calculated the miles.. around abouts of 15 miles i got on my normal ride which was expected. The Bluetooth BMS was really cool because you can watch real time. so far im happy with the battery. i will keep updating this thread.

I don't think it is designed to change settings on the BMS. It will only display them.

I'm also running Rocky Mountain Element and it has been fantastic so far.

the bms does not change settings as far as i can see. but thats ok im pretty happy with the settings. one thing i am liking alot is the downtube mount. it is very low profile.

:bigthumb: so thought I would just update this thread I've been running the shark pack for a while now and I'm super happy with it I have put it through quite a bit of abuse and had it fling off my bike once or twice because I forgot to lock it and it's still working great so I bought another jumbo shark pack for my commuter bike and while talking with the company I was informed that the 40 amp controller I'm using might be a little much for the battery I bought so I'm going to try to dial the Infineon controller down a little bit. Other than that everything is working excellent I'm even thinking about buying another Infineon controller from them because it's so responsive in the power curve is a lot better than the cheap controllers I was using.

Back