Watseka XP Resurrection Nakto too?

DrkAngel

1 GW
Watseka XP

Click on picture, links to info-review

Originally touted as a cheap ($650), heavy (78lb), under powered (250w), slow (14mph) eBike.

Customer brought in a beat up, broken down, worn out example ... hoping to trade for a gaming computer.
Bad shape!
No charger
Bad battery
No brakes! Front-broken handle; rear drum-band worn out
Spokes loose and rusted (might free up with penetrating oil?)
Bent chainring
Rusted and stretched chain
Destroyed speed sensor (for pedal assist)
Torn up seat
Rear fender reflector broken-gone
Partially slashed rear tire
Not worth repair!

But ...
Tested with 36V hoverboard battery to battery terminals.
Nice quiet geared 250w motor
Large strong solid step-through frame
Rear rack & front basket for cargo
Nice Light and loud horn
Electrics run through frame ...
... I like it!

Company is out of business but still has some replacement parts available.
Will try to, I guess resurrect might be the best term, if can get cheap enough.

. hmmm, can no longer "attachment" pdf file

Links to Manual and parts
parts available by still good email link

Watseka.com

Manual pdf

Replacement Parts - prices by email

Replacement battery or cells not presently available but intend on replacing 9Ah 23.8lb SLA with 13.2Ah 6lb triple hoverboard battery anyways.
Only essential replacement parts are:
Rear Drum (band) brake (available)
Chain (standard 6-7spd )
can adapt:
Battery (going Lithium!)
Brake handle (replace handle in oem bracket? drill out old handle - bolt in new?)
etc and repair the rest?

Will post pictures ...

Watseka appears to have been taken over, or rebranded as NAKTO.

Better parts catalog, with prices, Lithium battery available (too small and expensive for me though )
Many, not all, parts compatible.

NAKTO replacement parts

After 6 months of it setting around, owner finally stopped by and I got the bike for $20.

Just gotta order up the parts, will make a 36V 13.2Ah battery using 3 hoverboard batteries in parallel, in oem battery case. Can't build battery till I get the brakes! Too much temptation to take a test drive ... with no brakes!
Broken front rim brakes handle and worn out rear drum.

So, just got 2 "vintage" eBikes for $50 + $20 = $70

A Climber
Liberty Stealth Climber - Circa 2006? = $50
Needs:
Disc brake pads - will order
1000w hub kit upgrade - have
14s 10Ah LiPo battery ... Maybe 15s 43.2Ah battery? - have

443_long.jpg

and

A Cargo Cruiser
Watseka XP = $20
Needs:
Rear Drum Brake - will order
Front brake lever - will order
36V 13.2Ah battery - have

watseka-xp-electric-bike-review-1200x600-c-default.jpg

Progress and test drive.
Temporary replacement on the front brake handle
Adjusted up rear drum brake for some operation
Straightened the crank-chainring
Strapped a pair of 36V 4.4Ah hoverboard batteries to frame and jumpered to terminals for test drive
surprisingly smooth and quiet at a reasonable 15 mph ... ?
But the loose and rusty rear spokes were "grumbling" so.
I decided to tackle the job of tightening and truing.

Put a dab of Penetrating oil on each nipple-spoke. Sprayed into cap then dabbed with Q-tip.
Most all the spokes creeked in protest but about 10 would not break free (180º twist on 13ga spokes).
Pulled all the rubber off the rim and broke out my Propane torch.
Heated nipple for 10 seconds twisted nipple with slot screwdriver to break free, 7 more freed up.
Last 3, put torch on end of nipple for 10 seconds then quickly another 5 on neck of nipple. This gave me the capability of twisting the nipple with difficulty and did not get easier as I backed them off about half way. Let all cool then applied Silicone "oil" to all nipples. Retighted backed off nipples (still loose) reassembled all rubber, then tightened all nipples in increments till firming up before truing. Yeah! Saved the cost and bother of any broken spokes.

Still need to:
build Battery in OEM shell
New rear drum brake
New front brake handle and reengage brake >> motor power disconnect.
Replace old LED headlight with 18w LED and add 36V LED to rear reflector unit.

Was lucky, felt energetic and computer season is slow. So, did some actual "work".

XP nearing completion
Everything functional ...
Made a temporary battery for testing purposes. 3 hoverboard batteries paralleled and blocked in with Styrofoam then locked from rattling with rolled bubble wrap.

XP batt.jpg

13.2Ah Samsung lithium replacing worn out 8Ah SLA.
Could fit 20Ah easy, but these batteries have great cells and excellent BMS and probably triple the oem capability.
Spent hours meandering around. Battery indicator doesn't drop off from full till near 36V, HO Samsung don't sag like SLA ... might need to replace 6 LED, (Red - Yellow and 4 Green), fuel gauge with volt meter?

Will order up parts to put in proper-saleable condition.

PAS disk w/magnets is broken, fragment has 1 magnet though.
Found out the PAS works!
Did a PLC in lowest gear and motor kicked in. Cheap = kicks in full throttle when speed activates it = no variable assist.

Not available from Watseka, will purchase a standard 12 hole magnet deal.
Most don't realize they can modify assist point by varying magnet count. Should be evenly spaced!
1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 6 or 12 magnets for various assist points.
Also usable on real variable assist controllers!

Other magnet number available also.

PAS sensor.jpg

Been riding my refurbed Watseka most of the Summer ...
Just picked up newer version, the NAKTO City Electric Bicycle CAMEL Women 26" Black.

Nakto.jpg

Complete with plastic basket.
I thought the Watseka was in bad shape ... this is a truish Halloween comedy of horrors!
But 1st, gave the guy $50 for an electric bike with good Lithium battery and working motor, that is the good news ... bad news:
Cut the wires to the light and horn, tossed the light\horn.
cut, twisted back together and taped several other wires, "horn kept going off so cut wires till it stopped"
and the piece de resistance ...

Best record of present condition from quotes and diagnosis ...
"Hit a pothole and broke some spokes" ... on rear, band brake rear wheel.
Kept riding with nasty wobble, till rim broke at seam and tire went flat.
Tried fixing spokes by twisted wires through nipple holes and bent spoke remnants.
New tubes kept getting flats from twisted wires ... so pulled tube and pumped rim-tire full of expanding foam.
Expanding foam never hardened and exploded over everything - sticky mess. - brought to me.

New rear wheel would be the cowards way forward, about $170 plus shipping plus tax.
But rim and spokes and labor gives me a decent Winter project.
Need to get:
New rim and spokes;
New light/horn:
new rear light.
Hmm, now that I broke it down, doesn't sound too bad.
Might be another $100, plus labor, for complete working eBike.

New Nakto web site has limited parts, so will likely get from Watseka old support dealer.
"FEATURES

Easy riding: throttle; pedal assistant pedaling ;three models; Shimano 6 speed derailleur

Durable:high-strength carbon steel and superior car paint, the bike will serve you several years

Adjustable: The adjustable saddle height suit for different needs

Comfortable: Comfortable big saddle and front fork suspension.

Safety: HD LED headlight;Expansion real brakes, brake motor safety cut off; locking kickstand
DESCRIPTION

Motor: 250W brushless
Battery: 36V10AH Lithium Battery
Charging: 4-6 hours
Range:20-25 miles
DIMENSION

G.W.(LBS):70 N.W.(LBS):59
Load capacity: 250Lbs
Tire: 26"*1.75"
"
Nakto improvements over Watseka
Half twist replacing full twist throttle.
PAS enable-disable button. (PAS does not have modes or speed sensor, just full speed when pedaling engaged)
OEM Lithium battery.

Accidentally(!) touched my key into the charging port of my Watseka XP battery pack.
Learned that 10s6p Samsung -22p can weld the center pin of the charging port to the aluminum key.
Even after wearing down from near 3 years of daily use.
file.php

Well, the Samsung hoverboard batteries were showing their age and I have a good supply of LG mj1 cells, so, since I needed to replace the charging port, decided to upgrade to ~ 14Ah of mj1s.
file.php

Fairly simple fit of entire pack w/BMS, (8Ah SLA OEM), just needed to stabilize the brick with Styrofoam blocks, cardboard etc.

Ran the battery till lowest green led and metered an 11.92Ah charge from 34.52V to 41.59V, which encourages me to have hope that these cells have near to original capacity. Got a 42V 5A (41.59V 4.72A actual, via Fluke meter) charger that should extend lifespan somewhat, compared to a true 42V.

8Ah Li-Ion Nakto battery is prime candidate for similar 14Ah upgrade.

Both the Watseka XP and the early Nakto (Camel) use the same 250w geared hub, rim and spokes.

Nakto came with a destroyed rear hub wheel.
Broken rim, broken and missing spokes.
Stole the front wheel off the Watseka XP for an exact replacement rim, sized spokes for proper relacing.
Proper spokes are 36pcs 2.5mm 12g 210mm.
But, coming from China, so might take a few weeks.

Couple links:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233630500866?var=533314306844
Better, with spares:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V48B3H6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2NOU61BVSMWXN&psc=1

Got my 12g 210mm spokes from China in 20 days
Now the horror begins.Ripping apart and cleaning an improvised (to death) 250w geared hub wheel.

Broken, busted patched and snaggled together before being filled with that cement-like expanding foam.
20220402_185008.jpg

Recovered a total of 22/36 unbroken spokes!
20220402_195358.jpg

Previous owner pulled tube and filled rim-tire with super expanding foam. ... Did not go well?
20220402_185610.jpg

Motor is in good condition, just need to chip, scrape and sand off the gobs of super adhesive foam.
20220402_200407.jpg

Shocked! Expected a band brake, found a substantial drum brake!
20220402_200434.jpg

Will likely just try cleaning up motor today. Help me get enthusiastic about lacing up a bright shiny motor and rim.
P.S. New rim came off front of bike, so will need to re-drill for 12g nipples.

Back