Quick question for anyone with a Luna cycles advanced charger 48v

Planet Indigo

100 mW
On a 48v battery, what is the resting voltage of your battery after you have charged it with the 90% toggle switch? How about with the 80% toggle switch?
I am trying to find out what voltage threshold they set those values at. I have a rough idea of what a 90% and a 80% charge should be at, but I'm curious what threshold they use.
Thank you.

If you've actually got one of those chargers, then you should be able to simply set the switch, plug it into the wall, and measure the unconnected battery-end of the cable, and it should float at the resting voltage.

Some chargers don't output anything until after they detect a battery, so that might not work with yours--but if you leave the meter leads connected to the back of teh charger's connector pins, and then just momentarily plug the battery in, then when charger starts to run disconnect the battery, you should have a second or few while the charger continues to run to check it's voltage on the meter screen.

amberwolf said:
If you've actually got one of those chargers, then you should be able to simply set the switch, plug it into the wall, and measure the unconnected battery-end of the cable, and it should float at the resting voltage.

Some chargers don't output anything until after they detect a battery, so that might not work with yours--but if you leave the meter leads connected to the back of teh charger's connector pins, and then just momentarily plug the battery in, then when charger starts to run disconnect the battery, you should have a second or few while the charger continues to run to check it's voltage on the meter screen.

Thanks for the post. I'm not sure if this was directed to me or to any forum reader who could potentially answer the question. However, I do not have that charger, so I cannot do this test myself.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/chargers/38871-how-to-adjust-the-luna-charger-mini-and-advanced.
This is from Eric.

I have the version for 14S 52V and I did measure the voltage at 90 and 80% setting. It does not change. The charger just terminates the charge early but does not do any current tapering. I was a bit disappointed in that. It is probably better for the battery to a saturation or whatever they call the CV part of the charge cycle. This charger does not do that except on the 100% setting.

Volt_Ampere said:
I have the version for 14S 52V and I did measure the voltage at 90 and 80% setting. It does not change. The charger just terminates the charge early but does not do any current tapering. I was a bit disappointed in that. It is probably better for the battery to a saturation or whatever they call the CV part of the charge cycle. This charger does not do that except on the 100% setting.

So it seems you were measuring the voltage on the charger like amberwolf was advising, but could you please just measure the resting voltage of your battery a few hours after it was charged at 80% or 90%? I could try to extrapolate those numbers to a 48v pack if no one else posts the values for 48v.

999zip999, interesting read, thanks for posting but I did not find my answer in that topic. I'm looking for the resulting resting voltage of the battery after an 80% and 90% charge.

I forget what the resting voltages were - I have only charged to 80% once since I just got this charger about a month ago. I monitored the current until it shut off and it stayed at 3 Amps from start to finish so I know that it did not taper the current. I did monitor the open circuit voltage at the various settings and it stayed at 58.8Volts at all settings which is the 100% voltage for 14S. Next charge cycle I will measure the resting voltage and post it here. I have not been riding that much the past few weeks - been a bit on the cold side.
If I were to design a charger like this I would reduce the open circuit voltage for the 90% and 80% charge. It's not hard to do that.

own many similar

can not use open voltage to view levels

establish any 1-2a load and will usually reveal

easier to measure battery voltage end of charge for each setting

% charging slippery slope

majority bms never balance below max cell voltage

practical use of feature short term storage imo

top-off 100% and balance immediately before any motive duty

48v 13s standard pack 100% charge 54.6v

90% soc about 53.3v

80% about 52v

Thanks kcuf. You said in your previous post that you own many similar, so those numbers are from those other similar chargers, right?

across units compared 90% varies 53-54v 80% 52-53v

Ok thank you for the clarification.
Out of sheer curiosity, if anyone ever reads this and has a luna charger, please post the numbers, I'm curious to know what the guys over there set their charger threshold at.

Back