Tire size matter building a mid drive bike ?

jangles

1 W
I'm thinking about building a BBS02 or BBSHD bike and would like to use a smaller frame 24" tire bike . I dont know if this will work or not so I'm asking for help . I am too short to get on a regular 26" tire bike comfortably and proved it again yesterday promptly falling over when trying to get off my 2x2 fat bike . Any ideas ? TIA
ron

Some people do go to a smaller wheel on their e-rides, gives you better get up and go power torque, little less speed but not much.

The only things you'll be trading off are tire choice, ride quality, and rolling resistance-- and not too badly in any regard. Since you choose the gearing of a mid drive bike, you get the benefit of whatever you choose.

If you were talking about a hub motor bike, then small wheels would be an advantage.

For what it's worth, you can get 26" and even 700c and 29" bikes sized for truly tiny people if you so desire. I hope you're not choosing among one-size department store bikes, because you deserve better than that.

Thanks for the replies so far . I am leaning toward a Rocky Mountain Flow jump bike but I am locked on nothing yet . I am in no hurry as I have two bikes now but neither are mid motors . I actually am giving a little (very little) thought to disconnecting the rear motor on my fat bike and putting a BBHSD in it and somehow incorporating the front 250 hub motor with it . Any ideas on a bike for a short person to build on ? TIA

So-called "women's" MTBs, if they aren't made with double downtube ladies' frames, are basically short-folks MTBs with fruity paint jobs. They're one of the categories that hasn't totally abandoned 26" wheels in favor of larger diameters. The Janis Dragonfly that my shop sells uses 26x3" tires, so its 28" standover height (in the shortest size) can easily be lowered another inch or more just by fitting smaller tires.

How low a standover do you need/want?

spinningmagnets said:
Suspension forks can be swapped into just about any frame. However...do you need rear suspension?

No , I dont need it at all . I'd like to stay with a 3.0 tire though , forgot to mention that before . This bike will be used in the mountains fishing and hunting .

[/quote]
Chalo said:
So-called "women's" MTBs, if they aren't made with double downtube ladies' frames, are basically short-folks MTBs with fruity paint jobs. They're one of the categories that hasn't totally abandoned 26" wheels in favor of larger diameters. The Janis Dragonfly that my shop sells uses 26x3" tires, so its 28" standover height (in the shortest size) can easily be lowered another inch or more just by fitting smaller tires.

How low a standover do you need/want?

"women's" MTBs, if they aren't made with double downtube ladies' frames, are basically short-folks MTBs with fruity paint jobs :mrgreen:

I just measured with my shoes off and legs spread shoulder wide , tape on the floor to crotch and I have 25" to work with . :(

Tire size does not matter for the drive, it does matter for the speed, terrain, riding weight and style.

Lots of good info above.

I think you are going to use this bike to play in the woods and if that is correct, the BBSHD is definitely the best option. I'd recommend a 52v/14s battery...it will give you a little more snap than a 48v/13s. AND go as large as you can easily fit in the frame you choose.

Rear suspension...I'd recommend against it. In most instances it just adds complications and interferes and/or eliminates the best place to mount your battery.

Tires...the Duro Wildlife Leopard 24x3.00 is the way to go unless you want to go even smaller then a Vee Mission Command 20x4.00 is an option. The Duro tire is produced under several different names...I bought a Halo Contra 24x3.00 and it is the same tire.

You can take any size frame and put smaller diameter wheels/tires on it, you'll just start running into issues like pedal strikes...if you go with a BBSHD you can always buy shorter crank arms for a unicycle to replace the crank arms that come with the motor.

I found most bikes that come with 24" tires have a frame size that is just too small and cramped...you may be different. Find the frame size that fits you best and then build it up/go from there to make it your own. Feeling comfortable and confident is worth your time and money :D .

EDIT...I run a 28 tooth Lekkie front sprocket and a 22 tooth White Brothers (72 engagement points (green cover)) freewheel in the rear. With a 27.5 tire, my top speed is about 19 mph. You may want to use a three speed hub...a buddy of mine built a bike he uses for hunting and the three speed works well...he pulls a small trailer to haul deer out of the woods using 1st gear, uses 2nd gear most of the time since it is a direct drive and a little stronger, and 3rd if he needs to get somewhere a little faster. IMO the BBSHD, 52v battery, and 3 speed rear hub make a great combination for a bike that isn't going to be abused too hard and needs to be used for multiple purposes. Plus the 3 speed is all enclosed and you don't have to worry about mud screwing with your derailleur. If you get a frame with horizontal dropouts, you won't even need to run a chain tensioner. If you have vertical dropouts, I like the Surly Singleator chain tensioner.

Hi all , thank you for the replies . Sorry I didnt get back sooner but have had some health issues . I ended up putting a BBHSD in a Fito cruiser , I wish I hadn't ! Oh well , what can I say . I am now looking for a replacement frame for it .The frame needs to fit a 67-73mm motor . I'd like to get a fattie but pretty sure I messed that up by not getting a 100 mm motor kit . Oh well , any suggestions on this ? I promise to get back sooner than later unless I have another heart attack . lol

Back