Any other bicycle discount stores online, besides Chain Reaction Cycle?

markz

100 TW
Any other bicycle discount stores online, besides Chain Reaction Cycle as they dont sell no Shimano, nor SRAM anymore.

Depends on what you're looking for, but:
JensonUSA
Random Bike Parts
Bikewagon
Bike Island
for a start. Also, look at MTBR forum; "Where are the best deals"

2old said:
Depends on what you're looking for The usuals, FD, Crank, Chains, Pedals, Grips, headset, shifters

Bikewagon I found them, seems like decent pricing!
MTBR forum I am turned off by that forum lately, but its a good-un!

Performancebike just closed down its stores last weekend and the last day they had 90% off; wheels $5; Shimano front derailleur $1.50 etc. I've purchased lots of drivetrain parts (usually 8-speed for my mid-drive) from Amazon for at least 1/3 less than LBS prices. Shipping to CA may be prohibitive from US-based stores.

M_nzoz said:
I also like tweeks cycles, can be cheap sometimes (AUD)

Odd name, Tweek, must be an aus/nz thing. First thing is tweekers aka drug addicts, had to think about the "Tweeking to fix" side of the word.

Eu shops:

https://bike24.com
I found this is cheapest for protection gear by a fair margin.
https://Ridewill.it
Lots of brakes and usually cheapest, cheaper than ebay.

Australia:
https://cyclingdeal.com.au
Lot of clearance sales on last year's forks and other equipment, sometimes 75% off RRP.

I wonder if http://bikeman.com/ is the same as the Youtube channel, the company logo seems to fit his persona.
If you ever seen Bikeman4u youtube channel that guy is crazy, 50's guy with a mohawk and a pony tail in the bike biz for eons. I remember Bikeman4u saying he is on Long Island so must be NY.

I have been buying from Jensonusa.com for about 30 years now .
( I bought from the owner of Jensonusa when he only had a warehouse and only sold parts person to person , long before he got into the internet sales game.

As of about a month or month and half ago Chain Reaction Cycles no longer sells Shimano Brakes ( and perhaps other Shimano Products ) to anyone living in the U.S.A. they still have a little old stock , but not the good items like LX/XT etc. .

This is a result of the local bike shops in the U.S.A. pressuring Shimano to have C.R.C cut out sales to U.S. customers . I and other people are Not happy about that , The local Bike Shops are just way too expensive for those of us living on a low income ! Their mark up is just too high .
I am not starting to think about Clark Brakes as they use the same mineral oil like shimano and a few other brake mfg's .
And might be buying other parts like Sram or Sunrace , Suntrace, and DNM in the Future .

AFAIK, Bikeman is in the northeastern US (Maine, I believe). I've purchased a number of items from them, and they're a good supplier. Many shops in the US purchased Shimano items from CRC because CRC's retail prices were lower than the shop could get wholesale from Shimano or their distributor (I am not affiliated with a shop and never have been). It wasn't a level playing field.

CRC sold the older Shimano products, that is why they could get it cheaper than a bike shop could get the current stuff.
I have talked with bike shops about this and they have frustration with customers not knowing that most of what is sold at a good discount from CRC and /or other mail order places is the older and/or previous generation of part or clothing , and then the customer walks in and wants the newer/current generation part at the same price of the older discounted product.
While the older product is now longer available to the local bike shop and/or distributor ...because CRC and the other places buys all the older parts/clothing .

2old said:
AFAIK, Bikeman is in the northeastern US (Maine, I believe). I've purchased a number of items from them, and they're a good supplier. Many shops in the US purchased Shimano items from CRC because CRC's retail prices were lower than the shop could get wholesale from Shimano or their distributor (I am not affiliated with a shop and never have been). It wasn't a level playing field.

What I've seen in the last decade is a gradually diminishing amount of Shimano parts on OEM bikes and a more quickly diminishing amount of Shimano replacement parts stocked in bike shops. Their "as high as the regional market will bear" pricing policy is yielding fruit. Outfits like SunRace, Microshift, and Tektro are gaining market share with better value and less marketing hanky-panky. SRAM/Truvativ/Avid are just holding their own (not benefiting from Shimano's foibles) due to hokey design decisions and poor materials.

My shop stocks plenty of low budget Shimano parts, like basic cassettes and derailleurs, but a lot of other things we could get from Shimano are instead coming from other manufacturers.

I've had good service from Shimano and SRAM throughout the years (from whenever SRAM became prominent since I've been riding MTB since 1981), but usually gravitate to Shimano rear derailleurs and shift levers. With e-bikes lower level Shimano components like Altus 8-speed are inexpensive, durable and function well. The extra weight isn't noticed

I have never liked SRAM shifters, I always go for the rapid fire Shimano shifters.

Bikewagons s/h fee is $50usd minimum to ship to Canada. They had some Tektro Ebike Levers that were cheap!

I don't understand the high cost of shipping between the US and CA. I was quoted $18 for shipping two "C" washers from CA to CA (Canada to California) once.

2old said:
I don't understand the high cost of shipping between the US and CA. I was quoted $18 for shipping two "C" washers from CA to CA (Canada to California) once.

We pay more for everything, from Tylonol to tires to gas to milk even. Some places wont even ship to Canada, I was on ebay, looking at an item I wanted, and the seller would ship to Australia, NZ, Bulgaria, USA but not Canada, I sent off a message because I thought that perhaps the seller still thought our postal workers were on strike. Sellers in China were canceling my orders because of that.

markz said:
We pay more for everything, from Tylonol to tires to gas to milk even.

Why take Tylenol when you can get those Canadian A.C.&C. pills that we can't buy here?

Back