BBS01 optimal PAS setting for steep hill

martinw

1 mW
I as understood optimal cadence for BBS01 250w is around 70 RPM. Let's say I will maintain cadence around 70-90 RPM in long steep section (e.g. 15% on 0.2mile) - in that moment I need maximal power from my mid drive motor. I do not want to use throttle (illegal in my country) only PAS. My battery has 36v/14ah, 20a continuous current.

So far I changed only following things :
- PAS level 9, limit current : 100%, limit spd. 100%
- limited current increased from 18amp to 20amp (20amp is maximum)
- speed limit is without changes = 15mph (that's legal limit in my country)

Isn't sweet spot for the motor (~ 70 RPM) in steep sections somehow limited by too low speed limit ? Are there any other settings which could help me to get max. power from motor in steep sections ? ...of course I am pedaling actively as hard as possible (chain ring 42t + largest rear wheel 32t). I plan to install temp. probe to be sure I am not killing my motor.

You pretty much can't kill your motor in less than a few miles, for one thing. It just takes longer, generally 5 miles or more of hard climbing, unless you are towing trailers.

If you are going 15 mph up that hill, that's fine, regardless of if its kicking in a speed limiter.

Main thing is don't climb the hill in too low a gear, which is not happening if your cadence is 70. Just gear down to a good fast cadence up the hill, and you are getting all the assist you need, even if its not max. BTW, the motor will only hit its max power at the start anyway, so if you are getting a good pull from the motor up that hill at 6 mph, its all good. But if you are in a gear that has 70 rpm cadence, it might not feel like the motor is pulling as hard as it is. But its pulling!

Re legal, a secret push button that provides instant full throttle is what I would do. Only a serious close inspection would reveal that a horn button is really a simple switch on the throttle circuit. You'd still get that 15 mph cut off, but again, if you are climbing 15% at 15 mph, you are doing really well!

I would say it's about 8mph uphill, but total weight it's 260lbs - me,baggage,bike so it's probably reasonable speed for 'weak' BBS01 :thumb:

There are plenty of cassettes these days with rear sprockets larger than 32t. SunRace 11-40t 8-speed and 9-speed cassettes are inexpensive and easy to get. Depending on the derailleur, you might need a Wolf Tooth RoadLink drop hanger for it to allow the use of a 40t sprocket.

Back