Any tips to power a bicycle with a hub motor from a scooter?

wrybread

10 mW
I have a hub motor that I'd like to repurpose to power a bicycle. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for doing that?

Maybe attach spokes to the wheel?

Or some other clever method?

Pics of the wheel are attached.

20190320_151752.jpg20190320_151802.jpg

Maybe mount the wheel above the actual bicycle wheel, pressing down on the bike wheel? Maybe if it were mounted under high tension with a spring it would have enough traction to drive the bike wheel.Mounting it shouldn't be too difficult, but I don't know about the traction of the two wheels against each other, and I would think you'd lose efficiency? Will there be an issue with the rpm and torque, since that motor is meant to be run in a very small diameter wheel?

Your best bet would probably be a one-wheeled pusher trailer, attached behind the rear wheel. You could also do a two-wheeled pusher cargo trailer. Both could contain the battery as well. Those options have the advantage of being detachable...

I'm hoping to come up with something much more simple than that. Looking at this for example the only difference between this bicycle wheel with hub motor and my scooter hub motor is that it already has holes for the spokes:

https://thediyoutlet.com/products/26-inch-48v-1000w-electric-bike-conversion-motor-kit-front

If I can attach spokes I might be able to simply put it on the front wheel as in this conversion:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/934648866/urbanx-convert-any-bike-to-an-electric-bike-in-60

Attachments

• 19EBE003-48V1KD-26F-ac.jpg
    19EBE003-48V1KD-26F-ac.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 930
You could drill the flange for spokes and mount a bicycle wheel, but the diameter of even a 20" wheel is way larger than the little 8" scooter tire so the motor will be bogging down all the time and either overheat or just be too weak.

A hub motor made for a bicycle size wheel is very inexpensive these days. It would probably be worth it to just buy one.

A friction drive might be be doable since the effective gearing will be the same. Remove the tire and replace it with something that resembles sand paper.

Mounting might look something like this:

An awful lot of work to try and spoke it, and I don't think the axle will match your bikes dropout spacing, plus it
will be seriously underpowered and might over heat, as fechter has stated.

Just has a lot going against it that way.

It might fit under the bottom bracket, and swing from the crank axle, with a couple of brackets. Spacing looks to be
about right. Just need some way to apply pressure to the rear wheel?

There's a thread discussing useing those as a friction drive:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=97226
but he went a different direction at the end.

Personally I'd keep the tire instead of using sandpaper, and use it as the roller, but you'd have to keep ti well-aligned with the bike tire.

The easiest/cheapest thing might be to just get a really long fork for the bike and have a small front wheel? It'll fit in smaller spaces at least.

I say get a cheap bike wheel with a hub motor already built in and turn the scooter motor into a small wind turbine to generate power and charge your bike battery. :D

Push trailer.

Price just the motor and wheel, or even cheap entire kits before you spend a fortune on custom spokes, and hours lacing it into a wheel.

Look into a trade too, maybe somebody here would trade you a used bike wheel, for your used scooter. so they could make a push trailer.

Try to work out the KV of the motor, the rpm/volt.
Then see what you can do with making a circular plate to go over existing cover plate, and use that as your spoke flange. Perhaps there is an existing round plate available, with somewhere in the ball park outside diameter true-roundness, then you just have to deal with the inner diameter cutout.

I think it could all be done in ones garage. Get two pieces of steel and make a sufficient diameter compass, the V thing where you add a pencil to make circles. Be sure to bolt it down tight so it don't move. Get a grinder and have fun! I would leave the middle, so you can use a bolt in the center, and a drill to spin it. Once its balanced, work on the middle part, using the same methods.

Or just buy a kit from YESCOMUSA.com

Electric Earth said:
The easiest/cheapest thing might be to just get a really long fork for the bike and have a small front wheel?
And have a fun crash the first bump or pothole you hit with it? ;)

Back