Pedals? Bbshd sizes ??

jangles

1 W
I just installed a brand on my cruiser and I don't have any pedals that fit . I wasn't aware that there was different sizes . Anybody know what size pedals fit this thing ? Tia

Be sure you are putting the left pedal on the left crank, and vice-versa. They are threaded different directions, so may appear not to fit if on the wrong crank.

There are two common sizes of thread-in pedals, "standard" pedals, and those for one-piece cranks.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/pedals.html

1/2" is for the older one piece and the 9/16" is for the newer style.
Thats what I read online yesterday.

Sheldon Brown is the go to source!
Thread Sizes

Most pedals have 9/16" x 20 tpi threads.
Pedals for one-piece cranks are 1/2" x 20 tpi.
Older French bicycles used a 14 mm x 1.25 mm thread, but these are quite rare. French-threaded pedals are commonly labeled "D" and G" (French for "droite" and"gauche" (right and left). A French pedal will start to thread into a 9/16 x 20 crank (and vice versa), but will soon bind. Do not force it, or it will damage the crank. Aluminum French cranks are easily rethreaded to 9/16" x 20 TPI.
In the early 1980s, Shimano attempted to popularize a very large thread size, called "Dyna Drive." This system was designed to place the pedal bearing inside of the crank, so that the foot could be slightly below the pivot point of the pedal bearing. This was believed to offer biomechanical advantages, but the system was not a commercial success, and has been abandoned.
These threadings havwe 100 years of industrial inertia behind them, but none of them is ideal. A better system would have a conical surface between the pedal spindle and crank, to avoid fretting (wear resulting from small motions of the pedal spindle inside of the crank). See Jobst Brandt's comments here and here.

Pedal Threading
One-piece (American) Cranks 1/2" (0.50") x 20 tpi 12.7 x 1.27 mm
Standard-3-piece cranks 9/16" (0.56") x 20 tpi 14.28 x 1.27 mm
Old French 0.55" x 20.32 tpi 14 x 1.25 mm
Dyna Drive 1" x 24 TPI 25.4 x 1.06 mm

Cruisers usually have one-piece cranks, which require 1/2"-20 threaded pedals no matter how new or old they are.

Three-piece cranks have historically had a variety of thread sizes, but lately it's pretty much all 9/16"-20.

Two-piece cranks are a thing now, and those use 9/16"-20 pedals too.

Yes, a BBSHD in a Fito Molina GT 2 . I'm not done yet as I just had back surgery and it's pretty much on hold . I tried to mount it inside the triangle but that didn't work out . It's coming along tho . Maybe a frog battery box on the seat post with my 52 v mini pack from Luna ?

Back