18650 cells 40A vs 30A continuous discharge

WA-Surfer

1 µW
I'm looking for a new battery to power my Bafang BBS02 750W bike.
I've had a 48V 16.5Ah battery from em3ev for the past 4.5 years.
I'm looking to move to a 52V battery with Sanyo NCR18650GA cells.

Two questions:
1. I'm assuming my BBS02 is Ok with 52V rather than 48V and it will just be plug and play?
2. Comparing two batteries, one is 52v14ah Sanyo cells and 30a rated continuous discharge current, and the other is 52V17.5Ah 40A rated continuous discharge current. Would I notice a top speed performance difference between the two batteries?

The bigger battery you can carry, the less sag under load it would have, given identical cells. Less sag under load, means more speed on level ground or hill. So a 4v increase from a 13s pack to a 14s pack is noticable. perhaps 2-3 mph. And if a pack sags less under load, say 2v less, then you see that as 1 mph more, or so. Not huge differences, but still a difference.

Should be fine on 14s, 15s though, might be pushing the controllers voltage limit a bit much.

On the claimed discharge rates, cut all in half, for a happy, cool discharging battery in continuous discharge. So that 30 amp one will be happiest with 15 amps draw, like cruising 20-25 mph. The 40 amps one would be happy with 20 amps. But the catch 22 is whether the cells are identical between the two. If the cells are not the same, the testing of them may not as well, leading to differences in the amps claim.

What I mean is, what one seller considers reasonable use of the pack may be different from the others. So take those amps ratings with a grain of salt. Identifying the actual cell used can help compare them by actual c rate spec.

Back