Rear hub on the front

Tpesl

1 mW
I currently have a mid drive I would like to add front hub for an AWD.I can get a great deal on a rear hub Bafang RMG06 ,is there any way to make the rear hub work on the front?

--Find a fatbike fork that will fit your headtube and headset, that is the same length as your existing fork (so the geometry doesnt' change and potentially make the bike unrideable). Don't forget to get a pair of good torque arms so the motor axle doesn't damage the dropouts.

--if your existing fork is steel, and you are a capable welder, you could cut it and widen it; if not done right the fork can come apart during braking so don't do this if you're not sure you're good for it, or you have really good dental and health insurance. ;)

--If you're really good at DIY, make your own fork that is wide enough to hold a rear motor, with integrated clamping dropouts.

Since you don't need high power on the front, and small front motors are very cheap, I suggest to forget this PITA idea to fit a rear hub on the front of your bike. :wink:

MadRhino said:
Since you don't need high power on the front, and small front motors are very cheap, I suggest to forget this PITA idea to fit a rear hub on the front of your bike. :wink:

I second that.

However good a deal you get on the motor, you'll spend more than the savings as parts, labor, and hassle before you make it work.

I think a Q128 front motor would make a worthy second drive wheel.

Are you going to throttle the motors separately? If so, I recommend having one of the motors run a bit faster than the other. You can use both to accelerate or climb, and then choose one or the other to cruise at higher or lower speed. Full time AWD doesn't make sense for a bike, especially if the two motors aren't 100% identical. Any time the motors are producing less power combined than one of them could make by itself, one motor or the other will be wasting juice.

I have thought about the same, got an old BMC V1 rear with a bad drive side cover plate. I purchased a cheap cover but with no freewheel mount.

Another option is grind down the extra bit on the axle to make fit the narrower front dropout. Everyone has a grinder, if not then Fat Bike Fork, or weld job as mentioned.

The solution to the dilemma is get a fat bike, and lace that motor as a front hub fat wheel. Not exactly a money saver.

If you really want a front motor, just buy one.

Back