Cycle Analyst Advice?

I'm strongly considering putting a Cycle Analyst on my bike, but I do have a couple questions and concerns, hopefully those of you who own it can help me out? First concern is pretty minor and it's not really a deal breaker, but my bike already has about 300 miles on it and I was wondering if there was any way to input those into the cycle analyst odometer, so I wouldn't start from zero. My other question, more important to me for obvious reasons, is the torque throttle setting. I've gone through other threads on this forum, but still couldn't really understand it. If my controller is PWM based, how would the cycle analyst be able to turn it into a "torque throttle" if all it's controlling is the throttle input? Even if it makes the throttle ramp up rate steeper, twisting the throttle 70% with the CA would still give me 100 percent torque as it does now? Regardless of how it works, for those of you who have it on your bikes, does it actually work? Also, will it limit performance in any way? I really like the power of my bike right now, my controller is 40 amps, but from what I understand that's a continuous rating and peaks can go well above that? Will using the torque throttle setting eliminate the high amperage peaks that make my bike quick off the line?

Endless Sphere user teklektik knows a ton about the C.A.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19452
Last post was Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:18 am

No doubt others will know the info you seek.

Here are your questions summed up....
*Yes I know I know, waiting for tube patch glue to dry so ya know....

Q1: if there was any way to input those into the cycle analyst odometer, so I wouldn't start from zero.
*No doubt there would be a way to "hack" into the system, how complicated that is I have no clue.

Q2: If my controller is PWM based, how would the cycle analyst be able to turn it into a "torque throttle" if all it's controlling is the throttle input? Even if it makes the throttle ramp up rate steeper, twisting the throttle 70% with the CA would still give me 100 percent torque as it does now?
*Got no clue

Q3: Regardless of how it works, for those of you who have it on your bikes, does it actually work?
*I have a C.A. just never got into it, nor used it much besides a month so its basically brand new.

Q4: Also, will it limit performance in any way? I really like the power of my bike right now, my controller is 40 amps, but from what I understand that's a continuous rating and peaks can go well above that
*What is the voltage your using for your 40A controller.

Q5: Will using the torque throttle setting eliminate the high amperage peaks that make my bike quick off the line?
*I have heard this question before, I know there is a throttle ramp ppl have talked about. ANd its possible to tame that with the C.A.

Many of the CA features will not be usable for you, unless your controller has a CA plug on it.

But get one anyway, even if its the stand alone kind, its well worth it. Then if you get a controller later with CA plug, its not hard to convert the CA from stand alone, to direct plug in, or vice versa.

Even if all you get is watts read out, cycle count, and speedo, the CA is worth the money. At one point, I had 4. Lost two in a fire, but still would hate to ride an e bike without one.

markz said:
Endless Sphere user teklektik knows a ton about the C.A.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19452
Last post was Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:18 am

No doubt others will know the info you seek.

Here are your questions summed up....
*Yes I know I know, waiting for tube patch glue to dry so ya know....

Q1: if there was any way to input those into the cycle analyst odometer, so I wouldn't start from zero.
*No doubt there would be a way to "hack" into the system, how complicated that is I have no clue.

Q2: If my controller is PWM based, how would the cycle analyst be able to turn it into a "torque throttle" if all it's controlling is the throttle input? Even if it makes the throttle ramp up rate steeper, twisting the throttle 70% with the CA would still give me 100 percent torque as it does now?
*Got no clue

Q3: Regardless of how it works, for those of you who have it on your bikes, does it actually work?
*I have a C.A. just never got into it, nor used it much besides a month so its basically brand new.

Q4: Also, will it limit performance in any way? I really like the power of my bike right now, my controller is 40 amps, but from what I understand that's a continuous rating and peaks can go well above that
*What is the voltage your using for your 40A controller.

Q5: Will using the torque throttle setting eliminate the high amperage peaks that make my bike quick off the line?
*I have heard this question before, I know there is a throttle ramp ppl have talked about. ANd its possible to tame that with the C.A.

Thanks for the info. I actually like the torque peaks, as much as it wears the drivetrain :D , just didn't want the torque throttle to eliminate those. The voltage I'm using is 60v nominal.

dogman dan said:
Many of the CA features will not be usable for you, unless your controller has a CA plug on it.

But get one anyway, even if its the stand alone kind, its well worth it. Then if you get a controller later with CA plug, its not hard to convert the CA from stand alone, to direct plug in, or vice versa.

Even if all you get is watts read out, cycle count, and speedo, the CA is worth the money. At one point, I had 4. Lost two in a fire, but still would hate to ride an e bike without one.

Would I still be able to use the thermal rollback and torque throttle without the ca plug? You're right, my controller is fairly basic.

dogman dan said:
This is incorrect.

I do not use a CA DP plug on any of my controllers, but have access to all the functions. (I don't use the hall sensor speedo because if something goes wrong in the wiring at the motor or at the DP plug, a direct short from phase or battery power could occur with the hall sensor wire and kill both the hall sensor *and* the CA MCU. I have a dead one in my parts pile due to this).

The only thing the CA DP plug does that the SA version does not is provide direct wires for using the controller's built-in shunt, as well as the hall sensor wire from a hubmotor to use as a speed wire.

Since the SA version has it's own shunt that is simply wired directly into the power from battery to controller, then that function doesn't matter (in fact, the external shunt is much easier to setup in the CA, as you do not have to measure the controller's internal shunt value, or trust that someone else measured it correctly for you).

The SA version with external speed sensor also negates the need for the motor hall wire, and again is easier to setup in the CA, as you do not need to know how many pole pairs your motor has. (it also will work with middrives, geared hubs, etc., whereas the motor hall-wire sensor only works with DD hubmotors).

The other wire (for throttle) in the DP plug is also wireable via the other CA plug for throttle output.

See Teklektik's UUG, linked from the ebikes.ca product info / etc page for the CAv3 (or search the forum for the posts with it in the CAv3 beta thread), for detailed wiring / etc information, as well as how to setup a CAv3 for just about any usage you may have for it (including the different throttle modes). It is a long and somewhat technical document, but it is shorter than reading the whole CAv3 beta thread to find the same info.

If you find you wish to add a CA DP connector to your controller, you can generally do this fairly easily if you have soldering experience. THere are several guides to this here on the forum and AFAICR also on the ebikes.ca site, and elsewhere.

Iteresting AW, I'm the electronics moron, and did not know a way to make the stand alone CA work for amps limiting. I assumed you needed to actually install a CA plug on the controller. Which is not usually impossible.

And of course, add the same plug to the CA itself. not hard to do either.

I am too uneducated to understand how the CA works to limit power without the DP connection, and gererally just wallow lost in those really great tech threads. I see how the SA could easily know it should limit amps, but how does it actually shut down the power without talking to the controller or throttle? I assume you have to do more than just the standard plug in the shunt in line to the controller power wire, to get the amps limiting.

First, keep in mind that the old versions of the CA, like v2 and before, pulled throttle down (disabling it) via one of the DP wires, and so that's different from the way they work now. Now, v3.x and up, they actually output a throttle voltage and directly control the controller from that.

dogman dan said:
I am too uneducated to understand how the CA works to limit power without the DP connection,
It limits power the same way it limits current; it's just monitoring voltage *and* current to do it, both of which are available via either the DP connector or the SA shunt (which plugs into the DP connector to provide the CA those signals).

I see how the SA could easily know it should limit amps, but how does it actually shut down the power without talking to the controller or throttle?
It doesn't'. Neither does the DP version.

Both of them simply vary the throttle output from the CA.

The DP version has a throttle output wire in the DP connector. The SA version needs the throttle ouptut connector of the CA plugged into the throttle input of the controller.

I assume you have to do more than just the standard plug in the shunt in line to the controller power wire, to get the amps limiting.
Yes, you hook up the throttle output of the CA to the throttle input of the controller.

On both versions, you plug your actual throttle (if using one) into the CA's throttle input, so the CA reads the throttle output voltage, and converts it to whatever is needed to do the form of control you've setup the CA to do. (or if using PAS only to control it, the CA generates a throttle output based on whatever PAS setup you've got it programmed for) (or it can do both throttle and PAS).

Back