Haibike Tranzx Battery Repair

michaelw

1 mW
Hey guys & gals,
so I have a 2018 Haibike Urban Plus, the one with the 500 watt mid drive motor, it's all and all a decent bike, but recently the battery life cut to less than half of what it should be. I run out of power on my ride home, the battery used to be good for 3 round trips, and I can now make .75 of a round trip.

I have disassembled the battery, and measured the voltages at the BMS balancing plug. I suspect the battery is 13S3P, and I have pictures of everything. My current problem is I expected to find a bad cell, but when I measure what I call the tap voltages, each cell set is actually right at 3.3V right now

so it seems that the BMS is also a balance discharger at the same time, or, all of the cells are going bad at the same time. The degradation seems very sudden for all of the cels to go bad at the same time though.

Also, I've checked all the basics. Tires are up to pressure, overinflated even. Chain is lubed, bearings are good, and brakes are not dragging. I am sure it's the battery, just not sure if I need a new bike, or if this can be replaced.

I was considering charging it for a few hours and measuring tap voltage periodically. Thoughts?

You should post pictures!

Your bike is proprietary, so if that battery is bad, you'd have to buy an expensive battery from Haibike. That is why I have always stayed away from store bought ebike, that and they are expensive!

13S would be 48V battery, for a 500W motor could be 10S or 36V. Count the number of series 18650's there are and confirm, but it doesnt really matter because something is up with your BMS or 18650 cans.

1) Look for physical damage to the battery itself, and BMS.
2) Look for water ingress into the battery and BMS.
3)Since you have a digital multi-meter, you have already measured each 18650 can at the low end of its range, 3.30V. Meaning nothing avalanched over and dragged the rest down.

I suspect it is the BMS, so the bike would still be under warrant, have you contacted the Haibike dealership where you purchased the bike?

Got it, just learned how to upload pictures here! Ok Attatched are the pictures, battery can not currently last over 10 miles, used to get up to 40 in lower power settings, or 2-3 out of 4. Was previously possible to last over 20 miles on full assist.

I have done 1543 miles since I purchased the bike used. Unfortunately, the warranty is not transferable AFAIK. Also, when I changed ownership of the "cobi hob" (A smartphone connectable bluetooth thing inside the bike) the mileage reset to 0, so the bike may have thousands more miles.

When I rode it last year, over 6 months, I rode it almost every single day, to around 50-60%, before plutting it in. So I have put a minimum 180 cycles on the pack myself.

No signs of water in the back, or visible signs of damage.

I'm very curious actually if the pack may just be worn out from age at this point. If I can get a warranty on a replacement pack I'll probably do that, if not I'll probably get a new bike or test if I can use an aftermarket pack with this bike. Unfortunately, the pack communicates with the motor controller.

I had the build vs buy debate when I got this one. I just love the torque sensor tho. I tried a bagang pedal assist with the magnet sensor, it felt so inadequate compared to a torque sensor mid drive. If I have to do it again I'm either building myself with a mid drive, or getting something new with a longer warranty.

Attachments

• 20190417_175021.jpg
    20190417_175021.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 20190417_175057.jpg
    20190417_175057.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 20190417_175401.jpg
    20190417_175401.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 20190417_175900.jpg
    20190417_175900.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,081
Did you ever make any headway with repairing your battery? Do you have any more detailed pics of the power out pins? I want to add a battery to mine in series and get some more range out of it.

I also am having issues. Cobi saimg no nattery found. Battery is showing 50 vdc on all three banks. Anyone jad this issue and remedy besides parting it out?

Back