Ezip freewheel vs. drive sprocket modification.

larryk101

10 µW
My goal is to increase flat land speed. What are the pro's and cons of one mod vs. the other? Also how would one extend the chain?

Some of us might be able to offer relevant insights if we knew what you were talking about.

To increase final speed increasing the number of teeth of the free wheel (increase to 13 instead of 9) or decreasing the freewheel teeth will accomplish that goal (ref: DkAngel)

larryk101 said:
To increase final speed increasing the number of teeth of the free wheel (increase to 13 instead of 9) or decreasing the freewheel teeth will accomplish that goal (ref: DkAngel)

Decreasing the number of the teeth on the freewheel will give more speed for a given pedal cadence.
Increasing the number of teeth on the chainring (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "drive sprocket") will give more speed for a given pedal cadence.

Which approach is best will vary depending on the particulars of your bike and its existing hardware. I chose to do both.

I got that. I guess I was thinking in terms of mechanical efficiency, or maybe lessened total drive wear. I don't know. Interms of expense I ordered the chainring at 13. Any reason why I should stick with that. Its mechanically easier to install also.

larryk101 said:
I got that. I guess I was thinking in terms of mechanical efficiency, or maybe lessened total drive wear. I don't know. Interms of expense I ordered the chainring at 13. Any reason why I should stick with that. Its mechanically easier to install also.

In terms of efficiency and wear, bigger sprockets are better. The larger tooth counts you use to achieve the same ratio, the better everything works.

Back