Replacing battery+controller on an older iZip E3 Zuma

madhiker

1 µW
I have a 2013(?) iZip E3 Zuma that has a Bafang BPM 36v 500W hub motor, code 11. It has a proprietary battery that died, and replacement options are very expensive.

I'm thinking of keeping the same motor and replacing the battery with one of the standard Li-ion batteries available nowadays, plus a new controller (plus potentially other items, such as the throttle, etc). Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks.

If you get a new controller, it should work great.

I'm not sure what code 11 is on that model. For the BBSHD its a controller temperature sensor failure.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I wasn't clear - code 11 is part of the motor lable, ot just identifies windings/speed for that motor (based on some research I did on ES).

This bike?
https://electricbikereview.com/izip/2013-e3-zuma/

I'd just do the battery unless IZIP has some proprietary protocol that forces you to use an IZIP product.

Otherwise, I don't think you will gain much from replacing the controller, other than knowledge, unless you were to go to 48V. Then you might go 2-4 mph faster at top end and maybe some more acceleration. I think the bigger gain though is in more watt-hours, which will extend your range.

Back