Tsdz2 firmware open source adapted to vlcd5, vlcd6 and xh18

Today I have actually opened up the motor and replaced the blue gear just to be sure it wasn't the cause. I have used the original for about 5 years so it's about time. Sadly I didn't quite get to test the bike uphill, but it hasn't shut down in the quick run that I made on straight road. The roads were full of extremely wet snow today, so it wasn't easy to test... I'll report later if this helped. I'm mentally ready that the battery is on its way though...

hello everyone
i wanted to report a problem where i need some help

i build tsdz2 bike with new motor and new battery
installed latest open source Firmware,
problem is:
at around 30% remaining battery (according to display) the motor shuts off and then turning it on again it shut down after 1min
then after loading battery next time it shuts off at around 25% remaining battery,
not sure what the problem is here. does display measure wrong battery data?
i am pretty sure i put the right values in configurator
i set cut off 40v (i have 52v battery)
hope someone knows what to do, thanks

Matze_Senpai said:
hello everyone

problem is:
at around 30% remaining battery (according to display) the motor shuts off and then turning it on again it shut down after 1min
then after loading battery next time it shuts off at around 25% remaining battery,

If the entire power turns off, it's probably the battery's BMS shutting down to protect it from overdischarge, likely to due to unbalanced cells.

If the power stays on, but the system simply won't engage the motor, that's probably the controller itself shutting off due to it's LVC setting.

amberwolf said:
Matze_Senpai said:
hello everyone

problem is:

If the entire power turns off, it's probably the battery's BMS shutting down to protect it from overdischarge, likely to due to unbalanced cells.

If the power stays on, but the system simply won't engage the motor, that's probably the controller itself shutting off due to it's LVC setting.

thanks, so how can i balance the cells? or will it balance itself after some Time?

Matze_Senpai said:
thanks, so how can i balance the cells? or will it balance itself after some Time?
Does that mean that your entire system power is shutting off?

THen the first thing you could try is just leaving the battery on the charger for a while. First, overnight, and if that doesn't change the problem much, for several days. I recommend only doing it while you can be there to monitor it, in case it has an internal problem that could cause a catastrophic failure (uncommon, but happens).

Many batteries have a BMS that can do pack balancing, but many cheap ones skip that part so they can't self-correct for this. If yours is like that, and does not change the problem at all by leaving on the charger for long periods (hours to days or more) you'd have to open it up and check the cell group voltages. There are a bunch of battery-problem threads for problems exactly like yours that show / describe how to do this.

amberwolf said:
THen the first thing you could try is just leaving the battery on the charger for a while. First, overnight, and if that doesn't change the problem much, for several days. I recommend only doing it while you can be there to monitor it, in case it has an internal problem that could cause a catastrophic failure (uncommon, but happens).

Many batteries have a BMS that can do pack balancing, but many cheap ones skip that part so they can't self-correct for this. If yours is like that, and does not change the problem at all by leaving on the charger for long periods (hours to days or more) you'd have to open it up and check the cell group voltages. There are a bunch of battery-problem threads for problems exactly like yours that show / describe how to do this.

thanks i will try this and report back

Hello everyone!

About to flash 20.1.B on my tsdz. had something else flashed there but it got lost when I fiddled with wires.

Can someone please quickly explain / link how to control the VLCD5 display?

assuming after power on, by default it will be set on street mode, how do I:

1. switch from street to offroad

2. switch between assist modes

3. switch back to street?

I struggled to work out how to change parameters from the VLCD5 display.

In other words to Elinx reply.

Start here if you didn't enable "set parameters on startup" in the Java config...
1. Turn on display and wait 5 seconds.
2. Down arrow to assist level 0 (off)
3. Lights once, e02 shows, lights again, 10.5 shows briefly then 00.0 - you are now in param set mode

Start here is you did enable "set parameters on startup" in the Java config...
4. Up arrow to assist level 1 (tour)
5. Lights once, e02 shows, lights again, e02 flashes with 00.0 - you have now turned off street mode and are in off road mode.

To turn street mode back on, either power off and on (and enable set parameters as above), or
1. In assist level 1 (tour)
2. Lights once, e02 shows, lights again, e02 flashes with 10.5 - you have now turned on street mode.

Changing assist mode is similar, but be in assist levels 2 and 3 and use more light button presses - see Elinx reply or manual for which does what.

Key thing that confused me - its the last setting within an assist level that you set, which "sticks" - the others you go through to get there are not changed.

It's ingenious considering the restrictions the developers had - hats off to them.

LevelsAndMaps said:
got it working....
Good to hear.
eTrek said:
.....It's ingenious considering the restrictions the developers had - hats off to them.
Yes, first time you need some practice, but if you see the logic of it, you are ready.

All credits to mbrusa who introduced this clever option with his partial mod of v0.19 for stock display's.
mbrusa brought this to the next level on his first build for stock display's, based on v0.20.beta.

Installation with a Mac.

I have had a lot of head scratching on how to install the OSF using my aged MacBook (2011) but have been able to do this easily and fairly quickly. The OSF configurator and its other elements STMVP and SDCC work perfectly on Windows. They take minutes to install and get working. I have zero programming expertise so have wasted a lot of time getting to understand how to install OSF with OSX. I'm probably not the only one.

This is how you do it.

You need about 125gb spare on your HDD. Install windows on you Mac. There re two ways and they are easy, free and can be rolled back painlessly.

Install VMware fusion - version 8 for older machines like mine. There is a 30 day free trial. You will have to adjust a couple of security settings in the OSX control panel. Just google any error codes you might get.
Install windows10 on the virtual machine. No Product key needed for this to run.
Download and install Java8, SDCC, STMVP and the configurator.
The other alternative would be to install windows 10 via Bootcamp. I was on my way to do this then remembered VMware.

The install runs perfectly fine and has worked flawlessly. Hope this helps anyone else

just rode the latest version from mbrusa (v20.1C.2)

IT IS AMAZING!!

What I found:
1. I prefer to keep startup boost only on speed 0, it's just overkill on cadence 0 (it's giving too much power when you're just coasting)

2. odometer compensation should be off, it messes quite a bit with the assistances etc (no evidence just gut feeling after testing both on and off)

3. cruise mode is not what I expected :)
the motor accelerates by itself very fast to reach the cruise speed and then it cuts off.

my suggestion for cruise mode:
interpolated assistance based on current speed vs target speed (as read from active cruise assistance mode)

so - lots of power when further away from target (I'm at 10kmh - target at 25kmh)

and very little power when close to target (I'm at 23.5kmh - target at 25kmh)

also, cruise mode should fire by itself (right now it still waits for a bit of pedal pressure before engaging)

4. rear light vs VLCD5 backlight:
can we get a flag that does:
bike lights OFF when screen light ON
and
bike lights ON (not flashing) when brake pressed

this way we can have display light ON, brake control over rear light (and yes, I run a front light from a powerbank and a small LED rear light always turned on - for safety / visibility)

getting to have the brake from tadz2 just like a scooter / car would be awesome. while also having backlight from vlc5.

Hi

A few questions on the stock vlcd5 firmware if possible!

1 - Is the thumb accelerator speed capped at 20 kph? is the cap removable?

2 - What speed is possible with the 750w version with the default 42t chainring?

3- Can a custom firmware increase my 25kph limit even on the 42t? I would like ~40kph

Thank you!

spycrash said:

2 - What speed is possible with the 750w version with the default 42t chainring?

3- Can a custom firmware increase my 25kph limit even on the 42t? I would like ~40kph
imho the speedlimit can be set on the vlcd5.
I don't know about the throttle, but it should not be a problem to ride above 25km/h
I have the 36V 250W version and it is no problem to ride 35km/h on flat roads

Because you talk about a limit of 25km/h. I'm curious where you have bought the Tsdz2?
I ask because it could be that you have the new V2 controller that is limited by default to 25km/h
The V2 controller can't be flashed with OSF, but imho it is possible to override the speedlimit on display.

Elinx said:
spycrash said:

imho the speedlimit can be set on the vlcd5.
I don't know about the throttle, but it should not be a problem to ride above 25km/h
I have the 36V 250W version and it is no problem to ride 35km/h on flat roads

Because you talk about a limit of 25km/h. I'm curious where you have bought the Tsdz2?
I ask because it could be that you have the new V2 controller that is limited by default to 25km/h
The V2 controller can't be flashed with OSF, but imho it is possible to override the speedlimit on display.

Bought it in pswpower.com

My SD setting is unchangeable. The other 25kph speed limit on/off toggle doesn't do anything too :(

I3GE5v6.jpg

spycrash said:
My SD setting is unchangeable. The other 25kph speed limit on/off toggle doesn't do anything too :( ...
That is strange. With that description it looks you have the new V2 controller.
In that case you must toggle off the speedlimit
Change the other speed to a higher value and than toggle the speedlimit on again.

The motor with V2 controller runs a higher speed without speedsensor magnet :wink:

FYI
If you have a V2 controller from PSWpower, you are the first that is mentioned here
With V2 controller you can't install OSF
If you want to be sure you have a V2 controller, you can measure the Voltage on the speedsensor input.

Elinx said:
spycrash said:
My SD setting is unchangeable. The other 25kph speed limit on/off toggle doesn't do anything too :( ...
That is strange. With that description it looks you have the new V2 controller.
In that case you must toggle off the speedlimit
Change the other speed to a higher value and than toggle the speedlimit on again.

The motor with V2 controller runs a higher speed without speedsensor magnet :wink:

FYI
If you have a V2 controller from PSWpower, you are the first that is mentioned here
With V2 controller you can't install OSF
If you want to be sure you have a V2 controller, you can measure the Voltage on the speedsensor input.

I bought it 1 year ago. But your trick worked. I can now set the limit above 25kph

I'll check the voltage on the speed sensor connector. Any picture with which holes I must measure?

spycrash said:

I bought it 1 year ago. ....

I'll check the voltage on the speed sensor connector. Any picture with which holes I must measure?
Until now there were only reports that PSWpower was still selling the old v1 controller.

Checking the Version of the controller:
file.php

spycrash said:

This would bei an interresting information. If psw sells the new version too, I would have to bei careful with my next Order.

I have just stopped myself last second from ordering a tsdz2 kit from pswpower. Asked them if the new kit is a v2 version but they've only replied as "flashing the motor will invelidate my warranty". They dont want to tell if its an old version or open source resistant one. So I will hold for now, just wanted the kit to flash it right away, if I have to run stock-dont want it.
Thanks and please someone confirm if you happen to know!

automobilklub said:
I have just stopped myself last second from ordering a tsdz2 kit from pswpower. ....They dont want to tell if its an old version or open source resistant one......
They can't tell you because they don't know this.
They are only selling conversion kits and have no technical interest.
The only thing they know is when they have ordered a batch of Tsdz2.
And ofcourse your warranty is gone after flashing, like it is too after opening the motor case.

We still have no confirmation from spycrash if PSWPower sold the V2 version a year ago.
After this date people bought still the Tsdz2 with V1 controller.

Back