Throttle HALL effect or POT help

eTolly

1 µW
Hi there,
New to the forum. Tried searching for a topic around my question but not luck.

Is there a way to tell if my throttles use HALL effect or if they are POTs? (Hopefully I'm asking this correctly)
I've converted a boat to be full electric using an out-of-the-box plug and play solution.
Each side (prop) is using an LMC D-127 electric motor. The motor controller I have software to is TPM400. (the starboard side has a sigma drive - long story)

The throttles are custom made in Denmark from a company that no longer exists.
I'm increasing the voltage of the boat to 72V using Kelly-KPM 4Q controllers,
The retailers of this kit concealed most of the throttle wiring with some rubber goop so I can't trace the wires. (another long story)

Anyway, I looked at the software set up for the TPM and I believe these are POTs but unsure.
I've attached the TPM set up that shows 0-5k is selected (which seems odd because the throttles have forward and reverse- I would have thought Bi would have been the selection)
Also in the attachment is the kellycontroller wiring diagram that has a label for 0-5k POT.
Are the selected 0-5k and Linear options on the TPM software an indicator these are standard POTs?
Thanks in advance. Apologies if this question is mottled. I'm by no means and electronics engineer..
2019-05-11_1147.jpg

eTolly said:
Are the selected 0-5k and Linear options on the TPM software an indicator these are standard POTs?
Probably.

If the throttles have p/n's on them, you coudl check google to see if they come up on a webpage with info on what kind they are. Maybe even the Internet Archive / Wayback Machine has a version of the manufacturer's site archived that could tell you.

Another way to know *for sure* without opening up the throttle is to actually measure the output signal of the throttle with the controller connected, *or* to measure the resistance between the three pins of the throttle with it not connected to anything else. The former will likely show a full votlage range from zero to whatever the supply voltage is, for a pot, and around 1v-4v for a hall. The latter will give around 5kohm across the ground and supply pins for a pot, and probably a high (maybe unreadable) resistance for a hall.

Regarding what the kelly controller diagram shows--that's irrelevant unless that is the specific diagram for your specific setup. If it's just the generic kelly diagram, then you can't know that anything on it is actually how yours is wired, or what components are or aren't present, unless you check it all. :(

However...I assume the TPM controller is *not* a kelly controller (but rather Navitas?), and thus the diagram is *completely* irrelevant to what is actually installed on your system....

Thanks for the testing tips @amberwolf,

Yes that is correct that the wiring diagram is not for the TPS.
I do however have the diagram (generic) from Navitas (attached) but again I don't know if my system is wired as such.

My issue is that this is my first kick at the can wiring controllers and I've never wired throttles HAL sensor or pot.

When I initially looked at the kelly diagram and saw pin holes 4,3 & 20, reads 0-5k pot (wiper or signal)
I took that to mean that is the only throttle connection regardless of HAL or pot - and as longs as I had the ground sorted I'd be able to figure out the rest. But as I got into it my confidence quickly eroded. :lol:

I also have to wire in a solenoid for the key switch...ah well, another electrical adventure in the works :roll:
2019-05-11_1546.png

Back