Solar Cars and the HPM3000B

OSRC

1 µW
FNNGBO3JYWU5YRK.LARGE.jpg

Hi friends at Endless Sphere,

I have been a long time lurker, and would just like to post a review of the Golden Motor HPM3000B air cooled and accompanying controller. We used the motor in our solar car, my team is from Okemos, Michigan and we raced in the high school race, the Solar Car Challenge 2019 at the Texas Motor Speedway. Over a period of four days and 23 hours of driving allowed by the competition, we traveled 465 miles, averaging just a touch over 20 miles an hour. The motor was perfect. It never over-heated or complained. If you're interested in using this motor for any project, we could not recommend it more. We had a 1:12 gear ratio and a 27 inch in diameter wheel/tire combo. Originally, we had problems with gearing and had to change our gear ratio from 1:6 to 1:12 after that, the motor never overheated or struggled, it was super efficient and helped us place second in the country. We were able to top out at about 30 mph, we could not go any faster because the motor did not want spin faster. If you would like to use this motor and need and need any help, please reach out! We love our Golden. Our was one of the heaviest cars at the competition >1000lbs and we one of the few teams running a brushless motor, because our motor was more efficient, we were able to compete.

F1T35N3JYWU5XLI.LARGE.jpg

Here our final set up is with the motor, you can see the two chains, we had to install a jack shaft

FV3ZZ1AJYWU5XLP.LARGE.jpg

Our original set up before the jack shaft

F5NQ3T4JYWU5XMS.LARGE.jpg

A picture of the car and team

If you're interested in learning more about our car or team visit our instructable on the car
https://www.instructables.com/id/So-You-Want-to-Build-a-Solar-Car/#discuss

or our website
https://www.okemosracing.org/

For the budget those are incredible results. The writeup was interesting. Can't believe lead acid is still around except in submarines.

I was able to spin that motor using custom controller and 180volt to 10000rpm and i set the current to 400amps. I was able to top 135kmph on my bike but the setup was not that efficient ofcourse motor is not designed to run at those voltages. But still it doesnt overheat.

Sent from my COR-AL00 using Tapatalk

Bought, it’s actually off of a 1983 Kawasaki 750
LTD. It’s worked quite well, the motor mount was a pain to fabricate though, we spend so many hours on it.

I enjoyed reading your instructable.
I especially liked the insight about not carrying more battery than your allowed solar array can actually charge. Not an obvious thing at first glance, but an extremely valid consideration.

If you want to continue this sort of design challenge now that you're out of HS, you could always look at Electrathon.

Back