Help Configuring Controller

aglareb

1 µW
Hey lads -- first post here so please be patient with me.

I have been working on convincing a 48V 1800W ebike controller to drive a matching 48V 1800W motor.
(This is the exact controller here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303186078583).

I have jumpered together the ignition cable but I could not figure out how to connect this throttle to the controller's standard red-green-black 3 wire pin setup.

Additionally I am wondering if I need to select reverse/forward for it to turn on? And would I need to jumper the brake on or leave it unconnected for the motor to operate correctly? And does the two-speed jumper have to be used?

Agian, please be patient -- I am very new to this and on a tight time schedule. I am aware that normally switches and ignition keys and such objects are used, but I do not have access to them right now.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks very much,
aglareb

Just connect the same colors for the throttle. You probably need either forward or reverse selected to make it go.

Leave the brake unjumpered and leave the 2 speed switch alone at first, then jumper one of the speeds if it doesn't go.

Make the machine go. We like that.

Ok so I jumpered either forward or reverse I'm not exactly sure which and then I attached the throttle in a variety of combinations but it did not do anything (ignition was jumpered during all of this).

I am confused if there is a step I am missing. I think perhaps there is an issue with the throttle? It has blue-yellow-red wires and the one on the controller is red-yellow-blue. (I have attached an image of it to the first post in case anyone missed it).

I saw something in another post about problems with Hall sensors and that sometimes Hall sensors have pins mixed up depending on manufacturer. Could this be an issue? How would I diagnose/fix that? Is it a likely issue?

There's no pictures attached to your posts (or linked either) in this thread. (just a link to the ebay auction, whcih probably does have pictures). You can use the attachments tab below the box you type your post in to upload pics. This wya they are part of the post and can be seen by anyone that can see the post.

If you look in the Motor Technology section, I think it is, there is a thread "determining the wiring of a brushless controller" or similar, that gives more than one method for figuring out what the phase / hall combo (combination) is for any particular motor and controller pairing. It should be linked in the Sticky Index thread for that section.

It is not common for colors to match (except red and black on the hall connector).

Some controllers have a Learn (or similarly labelled) wire pair, that when connected, automatically figures out the phase/hall combo for you.

I'm not clear on what colors you actually have for throttle and controller throttle connectors. You give "blue-yellow-red" for the throttle in one post, and "red-yellow-blue" for the controller in the same post. But in the other post you give "red-green-black" for the controller.

The throttle wiring generally will be red for 5v, black for ground, and green or white for signal. But they could literally have used any wire colors at all, in any combination.

If your throttle doesn't have those colors, you may have to either open up the throttle to find out which wires go where on the hall sensor inside (it may not be easily reassemblable if you do, though), or just try different combinations until it works. The latter shouldn't damage it, but sometimes it does.

If the throttle has more than three wires, then it probably also has a battery meter of some type, and/or a button or switch. Some of the wires will be for those; they can be left disconnected as it will work without them

(Sometimes the button or switch is wired in series with the throttle power. But when they do that, there usually isn't a separate wire for the switch then, it is just using the 5v wire. However the button/switch must be in the on position for the throttle to operate. Easy to tell with a multimeter, testing for throttle signal output between Ground and Throttle Signal wires)

If the throttle is not a hall-sensor type, but rather a potentiometer type, then it'll operate differently than the hall types, with a different deadzone vs operating zone range. It is *possible* also that a controller expecting a hall throttle will error out on powerup if it isn't found, as it may require a voltage above 0.8v on the signal line before it will "boot". I haven't run into one in the cheap generics, but it could happen.

Usually forward/reverse is just a pair of wires, which when connected together change the direction of spin. If there's more than two wires, you'd have to experiment with which one is common and which is F and which is R.

The speed switch is usually left unconnected for full speed. One pair gets jumpered for a little slower speed, and the ohter gets jumpered for even slower speed, most of the time. You'd have to experiment to find out for sure, though it should spin at some speed no matter which way you set it.

The brakes are normally left unconnected if you don't use them. connecting the wires together usually disables the motor, and/or causes braking.

Back