Kunteng Controller and compatible torque sensor

Pegazus

100 mW
Hi,

I have a nice Kunteng controller but I'm struggling with the pedal assist.

I first bought a KT-V12L but as described by many people the feeling is not really good.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32866352633.html

I would like to move on a real torque sensor like the sempu T4.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32952233498.html

Could anyone tell my what are the compatible torque sensors that could work with the KT controller ? I'm interested in references even if it is not plug and play. :thumb:

Thanks

I recommend the e-rider sensor

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33030138390.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.26c5351d1AO5X1&algo_pvid=acc5808e-fd29-4824-be6a-8f982a431529&algo_expid=acc5808e-fd29-4824-be6a-8f982a431529-2&btsid=d3496ece-5a31-4d71-b6c2-7ad13a68ba30&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_53

The working principle and pinout is the same as the Sempu T4, but the geometry of the turning shaft is better, no groove for the circlip.

It works perfectly with our open source firmware for the Kuntengs, see my signature.

regards
stancecoke

I don't understand the wiring.

On my KT controller input I have :
- 1 red wire : +5V
- 1 black wire : GND
- 1 white wire : PAS signal

On the other side, on the e-rider or sempu, I have 4 wires :
- 1 red wire : +8-12V
- 1 black wire : GND
- 1 white wire : torque signal
- 1 green wire : speed signal

The is 1 wire in excess and the required voltage power which is too high.

How is it possible to manage that ?

36v --> DC/DC step down --> 12V --> red wire (supply)

gnd --> black wire (gnd)

PAS signal --> green wire (speed)

throttle signal --> white wire (torque)

If you want to use a throttle in parallel, you have to use pad X4.

regards
stancecoke

It definitely make more sense using the throttle signal wire !

But what is a pad x4 ?

How does the above option compare to using CAv3 ?

Setting cost aside, assuming you already plan to buy one for other features?

Pegazus said:
But what is a pad x4 ?

That's a solder pad on the pcb for an additional analogue input.
fetch.php

john61ct said:
How does the above option compare to using CAv3 ?
Pros:
--> No additional hardware (and no quite ugly display :))
--> completly free configurable
--> bluetooth + cellphone app available

Cons:
--> just a hobby project, no professional support

regards
stancecoke

Except with the CAv3, the torque sensing PAS is just one feature out of dozens, in fact one that's probably use much les frequently than the others.

john61ct said:
Except with the CAv3, the torque sensing PAS is just one feature out of dozens, in fact one that's probably use much les frequently than the others.

This is actually one of the CA3's main selling points, because it has a wide range of presets for torque sensors along with the ability to configure any sensor with any controller, and I don't think there's really many other options out there for that besides this firmware. Other than that the CA3 is a throttle hacker and output monitor on a dot matrix screen. With this firmware, I can see that I can also edit the gains and ramps etc as well. Plus a graphic interface for monitoring, including phase patterns, back emf etc? Pretty kickass stancecoke nice work I'm stoked about it

Hi,
I bought a sempu torque sensor (latest version supporting up To 60V supply) that I intend to power directly from the 36V battery. The sensor is also providing the PAS speed info with 48 pulses per round as compared to 10 for my classical PAS sensor. I have connected the Torque signal to the Throttle input through a OR schottky diodes network to make sure the signal is below the Throttle input threshold (which is 1.25V) : I get 1.22 when the sensor is in rest position so no effect. Prior to engage in Controller reflash, I was wondering how the controller would react in this configuration with the original Firmware. Would it work , and if so what would be the best parameter setting for the KT controller ?

stancecoke said:
I recommend the e-rider sensor

The working principle and pinout is the same as the Sempu T4, but the geometry of the turning shaft is better, no groove for the circlip.

It works perfectly with our open source firmware for the Kuntengs, see my signature.

Where is this open source firmware you speak of? What is it called?

Tonymark said:
Where is this open source firmware you speak of?

The code and the wiki is at GitHub.

The discussion thread is here.

But I'm not maintaining the project any longer. @geofft may be able to help, if necessary.

regards
stancecoke

That's a solder pad on the pcb for an additional analogue input.
fetch.php

Pros:
--> No additional hardware (and no quite ugly display :))
--> completly free configurable
--> bluetooth + cellphone app available

Cons:
--> just a hobby project, no professional support

regards
stancecoke
Is there a reason why the torque signal wire couldn't be spliced/soldered to the throttle signal wire instead of the x4? Also is the open source firmware required for the torque sensor upgrade?
Thanks, Agustin

If you want the torquesensor and the throttle to work independently, you have to use two different analogue inputs.
The original Kunteng firmware can do nothing senseful with the torquesensor.

regards
stancecoke

Back