3D printing magnetic filament for coils tooth

deGuzel

100 µW
Hi everyone!

I would like to build my own axial flux coreless motor and I have some questions about the coils and the stator

1- The easiest solution is to build some coils and pour some epoxy over it without any stator slot nor teeth. However I think the cooling must be hard the the magnetic field not so strong as there is no teeth.

2- The second solution I saw was to 3D print a slot so cooling would be better but the magnetic field wouldn't be enhanced by any magnetic teeth.

Then I found this magnetic filament: https://www.proto-pasta.com/products/magnetic-iron-pla

Do you do think it could be a nice solution to combine the ease of use of the second solution and improve the magnetic field with magnetic teeth?
I have no clue how it behaves at high frequency regarding Eddy current losses.

I found a test done HERE
It really seems like a good idea, at least to improve the magnetic field. No idea about the eddy current losses.

if you haven't already, i'd recommend reading apl's ongoing diy axial flux motor thread; it discusses a bunch of things about cores vs coreless, as well as a number of types of core materials and assorted effects each has.

Back