Controller change?

Speedsemon

1 µW
I currently have a 24v 500w izip scooter. My question is
Can I switch the controller out with a 36v 500w controller and add another battery. But keep the same 500w motor. Will I also get more speed and torque if I do this. Thank you.

Speedsemon said:
I currently have a 24v 500w izip scooter. My question is
Can I switch the controller out with a 36v 500w controller and add another battery. But keep the same 500w motor. Will I also get more speed and torque if I do this. Thank you.

Yes it would typically work as long as you aren't already loading the motor with heavy weight and/or steep hills. How hot does your motor typically get?

If the 24V 500W controller is accurate, then you'd really want to go to a 36V 750W controller, so the motor gets the same current. Speed will definitely be higher, but with the same current comes the same torque. Starting torque would be the same, but torque at intermediate speeds would be greater because the torque curve would be stretched out to higher rpm.

However, assuming you really like those types of standup scooter, then the first upgrade to do is change to lithium batteries for far better performance and range. Since hubmotors are now available for any small wheels, then going to a higher power brushless hubmotor would be a big improvement over the noisy high maintenance chain drive with a brushed motor. That will give you far greater latitude in your upgrade path going forward, the possibility of regen braking, and longer life with less maintenance, not to mention a silent ride.

Back