Mid-drive motors of 250W compared from a mechanical viewpoint

avandalen

100 W
I have a new article where I compare all mid-drive motors of 250W compared from a mechanical viewpoint.
https://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/hub-motor/motors-compared
Mid-drive-motors-compared-Excel.jpg

All mid-drive motors have about the same characteristic
It is important to know that, from a mechanical viewpoint, all well-built mid-drive motors of 250W are more or less the same. That is because all use the same motor type: a permanent magnetic motor. By nature, all small permanent magnetic motors have equal characteristics. From a mechanical viewpoint, the only substantial difference in performance is determined by the gear ratio. In practice, the maximum motor power will be limited by the motor controller and the software, but in this article, we focus on mechanical properties.
The best motor power graph
Here is the motor power graph of the Yamaha PW-SE. This mid-drive motor has one of the largest gear ratios, and therefore the highest efficiency. I have measured the motor parameters and made the motor graph, see the article about the Yamaha PW-SE.
Yamaha-PW-SE-motor-graph-with-gear-loss.jpg

Who can help to improve and complete this article?

Well, it would be great to see their real performance vs weight and so on.

But as mentioned, if these are 250W versions their power is software limited, so not always possible to bypass this limitation.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Bafang M500:
250watt or 350watt, 36Volt, 43Volt or 48Volt
3rd party battery, yes

I would imagine number of pole pairs, IPM or external magnet, magnet strength and copper fill would all have an effect on efficiency and performance?

Back