Need help : number of pole pairs

michielk

100 mW
Hello,

optional intro, background information
After over a year of bargaining I was able to purchase an ebike with a broken battery (2011 - 3Element Espire). The battery and controller communicate over a proprietary canbus system. These bikes and their motor units were made in small numbers (german, expensive & overengineered) and both the bike and drive unit manufacturer have gone bankrupt. Unfortunately information is hard to find, even contacted people who were involved without success. In any case, the controller system is outdated, bulky and underpowered.

My plan is to use one of my own batteries (EM3EV 52V Super shark) and a new controller (currently considering the Grin Phaserunner V3). To correctly setup the phaserunner you apparently need some basic information on the motor, which sounds simple enough, yet has proven to be difficult. Before I purchase the controller, I want to be sure it is compatible and that I have a reasonble starting point to set it up.

The drive unit has a small BLDC motor (german made, CPM) and a three chain reduction system to bring the motor speed down to a comfortable cadence speed. Close to 1/48 reduction if I'm not mistaken. I've taken the drive unit apart to check the motor, but could not get it open to count the pole-pairs without damaging it (stripping bolts/screws). It took four hours to put the drive unit back toghether (three chains, gears, tension-system, bearings, etc.). It has a special 2-axis hall sensor mounted directly on top of the drive and I have no way to read the number of pole-pairs from this (not even sure you can). It also has a small 'gear' built in the system with some kind of metal-detection-sensor (just two wires) for the PAS system, will mostly go throttle only at first and just get it moving with the pedals before using throttle.

motor information
Manufacturer: CPM Motors (German), high quality motors
Tried to contact them for a datasheet but without luck so far
Type: BLDC - 3 phase
Output power: 1200W
Rated voltage: 48V
Rated speed: 3000RPM
Load current: I would assume around 25A
Hall sensor: Sentron 2SA-10 (2-axis sensor, mounted directly below drive shaft)

actual questions: number of pole-pairs of this motor
1. Anybody have any additional information on this specific motor?
2. What other methods could I use to try to identify the number of pole pairs?
3. For a motor like this, what is a likely guess (range) of pole-pairs?
-- I've looked for similar motors and most (that I could find) had either 4 or 5 pole pairs. I'm not sure if this is just normal for cheap motors or if this is normal.

Easy way to find out number of coils in electric motor is to connect classic voltmeter to its power lines and slowly turn wheel by 360 degrees counting numbers of movement of the needle (pointer). Just verified that way my 205 50H V3 QS Motor, has 16 coils. Voltmeter was set to 3V DC...

Set a certain RPM on the Phaserunner and then measure actual RPM on the motor. Then multiply the (pole pair x gear ratio) setting by the ratio of commanded to measured RPM. AFAIK, only the (pole pair x gear ratio) product is easy to measure.

Maciek said:
Easy way to find out number of coils in electric motor is to connect classic voltmeter to its power lines and slowly turn wheel by 360 degrees counting numbers of movement of the needle (pointer). Just verified that way my 205 50H V3 QS Motor, has 16 coils. Voltmeter was set to 3V DC...

Hi Maciek,
"Pole pairs" is not the number of coils in the motor. The # of pole pairs is equal to the # of magnets divided by 2, assuming each magnet has a single pole facing towards the air gap arranged in a N S N S .... sequence around the rotor. Most BLDC motors use a stator having a # of coils different from the # of poles or pole pairs. If you drive the motor at a known RPM, measure the frequency of the generated voltage. # of pole pairs = (60*frequency)/RPM.
Regards,
major

major said:
Maciek said:

Hi Maciek,
"Pole pairs" is not the number of coils in the motor. The # of pole pairs is equal to the # of magnets divided by 2, assuming each magnet has a single pole facing towards the air gap arranged in a N S N S .... sequence around the rotor. Most BLDC motors use a stator having a # of coils different from the # of poles or pole pairs. If you drive the motor at a known RPM, measure the frequency of the generated voltage. # of pole pairs = (60*frequency)/RPM.
Regards,
major

Plus 16 teeth on the stator sounds way wrong...too low for that motor, and it also needs to be divisible by 3.

John in CR said:
major said:
Maciek said:

Hi Maciek,
Regards,
major

Plus 16 teeth on the stator sounds way wrong...too low for that motor, and it also needs to be divisible by 3.

Well obviously they mixed up coils and poles. The described method does work for counting the number of pole pairs. 16 sounds right for the number of pole pairs on that motor.

Back