ME1003 Motor

Smitty_Smiles

100 µW
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have found some general posts, but none recently.
Does anybody still run the me1003 as a motor or generator?
Are you pleased with its performance?

Allow me to share what I've learned about the me1003. I'm using this motor as a generator, driving it with a vanguard 18hp engine to charge a 48 volt battery bank. At 4.8kw the me1003 begins running very hot. I measured the temperature with an IR gun and was reading about 180 degrees F (on the motor case). This with an 8" fan mounted to the back of it. I then realized, using the me1003 as a generator changed the brush timing even though it was still turning CCW. I adjusted the brush timing to the CCW direction and me1003 temperature dropped to around 160 degrees F. I know the insulation rating for the me1003 is about 300 degrees F. But, the hotter the motor runs the greater chance of magnet damage. I know the overall rating of the me1003 is 250 degrees. Seriously, do you really want to run something made in china that hot? I don't. So I made a heatsink from 1/2" aluminum angle, mounted it to the me1003 (with heatsink grease) and built a shroud between the fan and the me1003. This helped direct the air over the heat sink. Until now all measurements have been made with an ambient temp. of 70 or less. First test run today with fan, shroud, heatsink and 80 degree ambient at 4.8KW.
Case Temp. = 104F
Winding Temp. = 137F

For those running the ME1003 hope this helps.

Cool (no pun intended). How do you measure winding temperature?

You know, most times brushes are set to neutral on PM motors. Without steel pole faces near the armature, the armature field distorts the main field much less. The same thing would be true for a PM generator. But whatever works for you.

Regards,
major

I measured the winding temperature through the vents near the shaft end of the motor. Best I could do there.

In regards to brush timing. I connected a 28,000uf capacitor across the motor winding and measured the AC component (with an amp clamp) from armature reaction of the ME1003 (unloaded). It measured about 17amps AC. After adjusting the timing in the direction of rotation (remember this is for generator use) the AC component dropped to about 2amps. This was the only change at that time that dropped operating temperature 20 degrees F.

I need to issue a correction here regarding the neutral setting of the Brushes. As mechanical load changes (in my case charge load) on a DC primary mover the amount of distortion to the field changes. In a perfect world, the Brush assembly would be moved to the new neutral setting at that load. The best I can do here is get it as close as possible to that setting. Hope this clears up my fopa.

After performing additional tests on the me1003 under load, I am convinced the it is a very strong and reliable motor (once you solve the heat issues).

Back