Hub motor with dual set of phase wires

Rocooo222

1 µW
Hi :D
I need some help. I have electric scooter motor 800w, and I have 6 phase wires but only 5 hall wires. I dont know how to conect to controller. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_014312.jpg
    IMG_20201231_014312.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 489
You'd need to have a controller that has two sets of phase connections, and connect the phases in the order the controller manual states (or is marked on it). The halls would then connect to the controller's single hall connection port in the order it states.

If you don't have a controller designed to run a motor like this, you *might* be able to get it to run with a pair of controllers instead. You would run one set of phase wires to one controller, and one to the other. Then you would make a splitter for the hall wires, and all except the 5v (usually red) would go to both controllers' hall connections, and the 5v would go to just one of them (doesnt' matter which).

The order of the wires (yellow, blue, green) you would have to determine experimentally, via one of the various methods posted in threads like this one:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3484
as it is not likely to match color for color, unless the controller came with the motor and is specifically designed for it (and sometimes not even then).

If you prefer, you could try using just one set of phase wires, the single set of hall wires, and a single standard controller, but it's likely that you can only use about half the power the motor is capable of, and won't get more than half the torque the motor could make if you used both phase sets.

Thank you very much. This was realy helpfull i must try some options. I have also try continuity with multimeter betwin phase wires and I get continuity on all phases but not with same colors if this mean anything?

That's just how these motors work. All three phases are connected together, usually in star, sometimes in delta, and its' just a bunch of wire. So a multimeter (unless its' very high end) doesn't measure low enough resistance to be able to tell the difference between the phase coils and just a dead short of wire.

The two sets of phase wires are for independent sets of motor windings, usually intended to be used simultaneously (see threads/posts about a "hubmonster" for examples), and so they are not electrically connected. That's why it requires a controller that has two independent sets of phase connections (or two controllers) to run one.

If you look at the original controller for the motor you have (if you have it) you will find it's made that way, too, most likely. Many are not well-designed and blow up, leaving a fair number of these types of motors laying around unused since they dont' work as intended with single "normal" controllers.

Some hubmotors actually come with a second, backup set of phase wires and sensors, in case one of them fails. That was the setup on my old, crappy ZEV. In that case you only connect one set of them.

It might work to put both sets of phase wires in parallel. You could try matching the colors and connect the pairs. I’d recommend testing the resistance to spinning before and after making the connections. It should be about the same. Using both in parallel will reduce the heating and allow more power.

Measure the 2 sets of phase wire for continuity with each other. If you have 2 completely separate sets of phase wire and 2 sets of halls, then you can run 2 controllers, though it can be difficult to figure out which set of halls goes with which set of phase wires in those 6 phase motors. If there is only one set of halls then the motor could run 2 controllers (one as a slave), but with such thin wires shown in the pics it seems unlikely to be a motor requiring dual controllers.

It could also be a motor with a 2nd set of phase wires tapped into the windings somewhere in the middle for a motor with 2 different speeds for a given voltage. Crystalite made some of those, which was a horrible idea. That's because using the high speed set of phase wires (fewer turns) meant half of the copper windings sat idle.

Back