Starter generator from a KIA Optima

Onlyevs

1 µW
I am a long time lurker . I have drawn a lot of great information from the forum.

I was recently shown a starter generator from a Kia Optima hybrid . I thought I would try to run it with a castle creation 8 s controller . It ran at half throttle as soon as I got past have throttle it was like it lost sync . I found out that it is a pmsm motor. It has a resolver and a temp sensor .

http://www.kniro.net/hybrid_starter_generator_hsg_specification-761.html

Question .Could someone point me In The right direction for a motor controller that uses a hall sensor ? The case of the motor is solid . I would like to not add hall sensors

Thanks in advance .

Do you know what voltage the motor is made for?

I have seen some optical encoder discs that take the place of hall sensors. If the shaft is long enough, you might be able to mount one externally. You would also need to determine the number of magnets. I have also seen hall effect sensors that use an encoder magnet stuck on the end of the motor shaft (usually the non-output end). Again you would need to know the magnet count.

I am going to have to dismantle this one for science. I will report back with my findings . I have read that the Kia battery can hold up to 300 volts .

One test is to spin the shaft with a drill or other motor and measure the voltage on the phase wires. If it's IPM, I'm not sure if you can tell the kV accurately, but you should get an idea.

I was able to find a dismantled picture of the motor. I can see it’s ipm bldc.

Looks sturdy … that’s all I got .

Attachments

• 18015FAD-7C69-4AE2-ADD9-97931DC053BB.png
    18015FAD-7C69-4AE2-ADD9-97931DC053BB.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 493
Guys, search HSG. We've been working on this one for a long while now, packaging with a gen 2 Honda IMA inverter. Kiwi is doing some great work.

Back