Plans for a diy controller

Desertprep

1 kW
I have a 48 volt, 500 w ebike. The motor is capable of handling 60v - probably more efficiently. I was thinking that if there are any diy kits - or well documented plans, I would like to try to build a controller. I have not done anything like this in 30 years. Do things still need tubes? hehehehe just kidding. 1. Does anyone know of a kit or set of plans for a controller for this? 2. Would you recommend this as a good "refresher" project? It will likely be more expensive than buying a cheap, off the shelf controller but I am looking for the experience. I am also considering building a 60v 30amp battery at some point as well. I am guessing that the battery would be less complicated but more tedious.

You might try looking at the VESC designs. These are DIY controllers with open source firmware.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=111688&p=1654741&hilit=vesc#p1654741
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=97765&hilit=vesc
(there are many more topics if you search around).

The big chip makers have several new motor control chips that might make a nice controller too. Look at ST, Maxim, Infineon, Renesas and you will find BLDC controllers.

I always found that too much work and much easier to take something off the shelf and modify for more power.

Honestly, having done it, I would advise against making your own controller if your goal is to make an ebike. It's by far the most technically difficult bit, and you can buy a decent one off the shelf for 50-1000 dollars depending on your power requirement.

It can be really really unrewarding, an endeavor best undertaken by people with significant electronics and programming experience or masochism.

For a solder yourself kit, look at shaman's cheap focer which is well supported in VESC, the BESC, or perhaps buy a Lebowski controller ic and build one of the many open source power stages on this forum.

There's currently a complete sell out of the VESC control chips so... Anticipate months before being able to get one built!

Bear in mind that even if you're on minimum wage and want the biggest most baddass controller, you'll never come close to making your time back financially by building it.

Back