Vesc Hard Limiting Top Speed

sdobbie

100 W
I have been using a flipsky 4.20 esc based on vesc and it is an enormous improvement over the KT controller I was using as it has much stronger regen, ability to set throttle curves and response as well as automatic motor setup. I have it set up with ADC throttles, one for accelerating and one for braking.

The only issue I have had with it is with cruising at full speed where if the bike tries to go faster than full throttle speed such as pedalling hard or going down a steep hill, it regenerates strongly and prevents me going any faster unless I let off the throttle completely. I don't think it is the back emf of the motor being rectified through the body diodes of the mosfets because if I let off the throttle, the braking effect stops and I can go faster by pedal power or downhill. Had a look at the realtime data and the motor is nowhere near the ERPM limit, so I'm a bit stuck about what I can do next.

I have the same issue and don't know a workaround.

If you are comfortable running beta firmware, the 5.03 beta has field weakening allowing you to go over base speed.

https://vesc-project.com/node/2859

Not sure field weakening would be of any help if the base speed of the motor isn't reach without it.
Have you checked the RPM at no load ? If you are not hiting the speed you should regarding KV and battery voltage it may also be a erpm limit or any kind of software limit actually.
What motor / battery voltage are you using ?

I am using a geared 24v hub motor on a 12s battery. It was intended for a 28 inch wheel but I have it on a 20 inch wheel. The motor at full no load speed was nowhere near the erpm limit of the controller which I confirmed in the vesc tool. Sadly the controller failed when I was regenerating gently. There was no burning smell at all from the controller or obvious failure apart from a small voltage regulator or mosfet getting very hot.

Back