Info on torque sensor

Please does anyone know if this torque sensor can be used on a mid motor (by adapting a freewheel) or if it is only for rear hub?
Given the reasonable price I would like to take it together with its controller
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/33030138390.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.69.479253ebiINp99

As far as I know, there are no other combinations of freewheel + torque sensor other than the CYC stuff. It has a different flange on the sensor (I think it is a modified erider), that fits on their specific freewheel.

PaulID on this forum had a few freewheels made that you could use on regular torque sensors, but he only produced a few.

Maybe it is possible to fabricate an adapter to use a normal torque sensor and freewheel? I have not looked into that, but fear it is not easy.

If there are other options, I would like to know as well.

If the problem were only mechanical to use the torque sensor indicated in some way it could be solved.
If, on the other hand, the torque sensor is activated with the starting of the central motor, then it is not suitable ...
Unfortunately cyc does not have 83mm torque sensors available. Also, using CA makes everything very expensive. :( :(

I see they are currently unavailable. I think that is temporary.

Another completely different way of doing it is like the lightest bike kit, or rocky mountain powerplay (I think it is called), and use a weight cell. The lightest kit runs a single chain, that goes from the rear cassette directly to the motor. Between the motor sprocket and the bottom of the pedal chainring, there is a slack in the chain with a weight sensor. That way you dont need a fancy bottom bracket, just something with a freewheel. You would of course need a cadence sensor to calculate wattage, and something to process it and create a useful signal for the controller (something like a CA).

Someone in my thread suggested to use a spring and a "throttle box" (a linear hall sensor or potmeter with a throttle cable attached). It would be some work to get it to work right, but it is a cool idea!

I have thought a lot about the rocky mountain system but I think we need an accuracy that can only be achieved with industrial machinery. In my creations I have noticed that when it turns the chain loosens by 2-3mm because the crown does not turn perfectly round. This would cause a continuous acceleration and deceleration, not due to the legs but to the imperfections of the system.

Back