Controller tuning or mods for more volt or amps ?

Sparfuchs

1 kW
Hello EV friends,

i've already heard of shunt mod tuning and know how it works. But what i'm looking for is something different.

As for example kelly offers many different models of each series (like in my case KBS) but uses the same case size for different controllers, i conclude they are all build "the same" and use "the same" components but with different specs. I hope you get what mean ?
So in my case i've got a KBS48101X controller but would prefer having a KBS72121X instead. So of course i could just buy it, but...
Isn't there a way to change the components (maybe mosfets or whatever) that make the difference of the two mentioned controllers and avoid overpowering like i'm afraid shunt mod might do ?

And in general- what are tuning ore modification possibilities to enhance a controllers performance (independent of type or brand) ?

Thanks a lot for your help
Best regards Sparfuchs

Dont bother putting in different mosfets, just sell the controller and buy the controller you want. You can read up on people fixing blown mosfets and they dont last long. Blown mosfets you say could have damaged upstream or downstream components I hear you say, very well sir where is the dice?
Will you be matching the mosfets? I don't know how its done, but the correct way is to find the fall-off cliff curve and match them, using an oscilloscope. Its been so long, it might have been Doctorbass or Luke 5 yrs ago talking about that. But since then lots try to fix blown and not lasting long. Havent heard of anyone replacing good working mosfets in a good working controller but its your dice.

Shunt mods is doable but can be risky if you go to far.
Non programmable controller resistor network for a different LVC mod is easy.

markz said:
Dont bother putting in different mosfets, just sell the controller and buy the controller you want. You can read up on people fixing blown mosfets and they dont last long. Blown mosfets you say could have damaged upstream or downstream components I hear you say, very well sir where is the dice?
Will you be matching the mosfets? I don't know how its done, but the correct way is to find the fall-off cliff curve and match them, using an oscilloscope. Its been so long, it might have been Doctorbass or Luke 5 yrs ago talking about that. But since then lots try to fix blown and not lasting long. Havent heard of anyone replacing good working mosfets in a good working controller but its your dice.

Shunt mods is doable but can be risky if you go to far.
Non programmable controller resistor network for a different LVC mod is easy.
Thank you very very much for giving me an answer mark,
in my case the controller works fine, so i thought of changing the mosfets or whatever before they are blown cause of to much current. Would it be an idea to buy the kbs72121x and check which parts are different to my kbs48101x and maybe just buy these parts to change them or is this to simple thought ?
Do you or anyone else here know which parts are mainly decisive for how much voltage and how many amps a device can take ?

Well it’s probably the software that’s limiting the output not the hardware. Well at least with sabvoton controllers the hardware is the same but the software is different.

So like markz said, best to get another controller unless you can find someone to hack the software.

Sparfuchs said:
and avoid overpowering like i'm afraid shunt mod might do ?

You can always overclock the controller :bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

Sparfuchs said:
Do you or anyone else here know which parts are mainly decisive for how much voltage and how many amps a device can take ?

Well you could try putting larger capacitors to raise the voltage, also change the mosfets and resistors. But if you do all that I don’t know how much it would help without changing the software.

Eastwood said:
Well it’s probably the software that’s limiting the output not the hardware. Well at least with sabvoton controllers the hardware is the same but the software is different.

So like markz said, best to get another controller unless you can find someone to hack the software.

Sparfuchs said:

Thanks a lot for your reply Eastwood,
what makes you so sure about the sabvoton controllers and what types of their controllers do you mean ? If i think of my unlocked svmc 72150, it also handles (without warranty) 200A like the 72200 but doesn't have the same size. The 72200 is a bit longer. So do you think/know that they use the exact same hardware and does that mean that the different size and name is just marketing ?

and is "You can always overclock the controller" a warning or a recommendation ? :)

Eastwood said:
Sparfuchs said:

Well you could try putting larger capacitors to raise the voltage, also change the mosfets and resistors. But if you do all that I don’t know how much it would help without changing the software.
I don't think it's worth doing all that just for one controller. So i guess i'll just buy the 72121x.

Sparfuchs said:
... If i think of my unlocked svmc 72150...
Do you have the unlock software?
I want to unlock mine too.

But i'd really like to know how to get more torque and speed out of all my controllers of my "cheap" 1500W hub motors conversion kits without damaging them. The controllers are for 48v with 35A continous and 70A peak and i run them with 52v (max. 58.8v) batteries without the controller or motor even getting warm. So i guess i could push way more current through the motor. The first i could do is shunt mod them, but i want to avoid harming the controller so i thought i could additional change the components that are decisive for how many amps the controller can handle ? But what components would that be ?

Sparfuchs said:
Eastwood said:

Sparfuchs said:

what makes you so sure about the sabvoton controllers and what types of their controllers do you mean ? If i think of my unlocked svmc 72150, it also handles (without warranty) 200A like the 72200 but doesn't have the same size. The 72200 is a bit longer. So do you think/know that they use the exact same hardware and does that mean that the different size and name is just marketing ?

and is "You can always overclock the controller" a warning or a recommendation ? :)

Yes you’re correct the 200 amp version is longer and has more MOSFET. All the other versions seem to be the same size. I currently use the 80 amp version and it’s the same size as the 72150 but different software.

Sparfuchs said:

Haha both :lol:
Well yeah for sure there’s a risk, but with an adjustable controller you should be able to turn everything down to 50% less phase amps with overclocking and it should act as normal, in theory lol
Since overclocking gives you double phase amps, in theory I would think if you turn it down to 50% less phase amps it would act as the stock controller.
Then every 10% you raise the controller would be 20% more phase amps.

But yeah it’s just an idea, I still think it would be best just to get a new controller.

dominik h said:
Sparfuchs said:

I’ve seen many people looking for the unlock software recently and no one can find it. Including myself I’ve been looking for a month and I’ve given up.

Eastwood said:
Sparfuchs said:
Eastwood said:

Sparfuchs said:

Yes you’re correct the 200 amp version is longer and has more MOSFET. All the other versions seem to be the same size. I currently use the 80 amp version and it’s the same size as the 72150 but different software.
But have you checked the inside/hardware or is it just a conclusion because of the same size ?

Eastwood said:
Sparfuchs said:

Haha both :lol:
Well yeah for sure there’s a risk, but with an adjustable controller you should be able to turn everything down to 50% less phase amps with overclocking and it should act as normal, in theory lol
Since overclocking gives you double phase amps, in theory I would think if you turn it down to 50% less phase amps it would act as the stock controller.
Then every 10% you raise the controller would be 20% more phase amps.

But yeah it’s just an idea, I still think it would be best just to get a new controller.
So "overclocking" is something different than shunt mod and only works with adjustable controllers ?

Eastwood said:
dominik h said:
Sparfuchs said:

I’ve seen many people looking for the unlock software recently and no one can find it. Including myself I’ve been looking for a month and I’ve given up.
If i'd know how to get the software from the controller to my pc i could send it to, but i've no idea how this could work out :shock: :shock:

Sparfuchs said:
Eastwood said:
dominik h said:
Sparfuchs said:

If i'd know how to get the software from the controller to my pc i could send it to, but i've no idea how this could work out :shock: :shock:

Yes we need a hacker to make a program to extract and inject the software. lol

Sparfuchs said:
But have you checked the inside/hardware or is it just a conclusion because of the same size ?

Yes I open the controller and it’s the same exact capacitors and MOSFETs as the 150, just limited by the software.

Sparfuchs said:
So "overclocking" is something different than shunt mod and only works with adjustable controllers ?

Well it’ll work with any controller I’m just suggesting with the adjustable controllers it could be safer.

overclocking will give you double phase amps while a shunt mod will give you way less of an increase.

the shunt mod is way less extreme you might be gaining 5 or 10% more amps compared to double phase amps.

If your battery can handle it and your motor can handle it overclocking can be done safely but again I would play it safe and just get the new controller.

Eastwood said:
Stock vs overclocked

Looks like a " STOCK" vs a " SHUNT MOD"...

Thats a shunt modification. Tyhe lower picture. There is nothing affecting the " clock": that I see.

Ony thing I see is a modified shunt. A shunt mod to fool the (2) ( hall ) shunts. Lacing a lead ( line) around the shunts... to fool them...
That is all that picture shows. To my .. experience, that is not overclocking, but a shunt mod.

Overclocking is telling the processor to do its thing.. at a higher level than intended from the manufacture.. not fooling the processor into false thinking.

Thats just a shunt mod.

I have honestly thought, researched, and looked into " modding" kelly controllers for more current / voltage / power. Some have tried. I have looked..

I think Kelly used the actual busses from the UVW FET banks in the inverter to measure the current. Not much to modify there.. but dont quote me on this. Tehre must be a way to reprogram the ECU MCU processor boot load logic. Reflashed or something.. but IDK. I would love to hack mine up in experimentation if I had concrete help.

Sparfuchs said:
The software is nearly the same, it's only one bit that has to be changed.
I have not given up, someone must have this unlock software. The other option is changing the flag via modbus.

dominik h said:
The other option is changing the flag via modbus.

How do you do this? Where can I read more about this? I have a MODBUS controller.

Back