Controller or encoder fault?

Freddanson

1 µW
Hi!

My knowledge when it come to problems with controllers and encoders is quite limited so and wonder if it's possible to get some advice in this matter?
Have changed the Curtis controller on my Bad boy buggie to a Kelly KAC7275H. According to the android app for programming the Kelly, there should be alternating (toggling) signals for three hall sensors (A, B, and C) when you move the motor by hand. I only have it on A and B.
There is an inductive encoder with four wires: pos, neg, signal A, signal B. My question is if I can signals on all three hall sensors with just two wires for the signal from the encoder on the motor?
Have tried with a new encoder and also changed the wires, but the problem remain.

Regards Fredrik

Thanks for the answer.

In the controller, you can choose which type of encoder you have: quadrature, hall, resolver etc. The setting now is for quadrature which is an incremental encoder setting if I understand right.

The type of encoder in the motor is this: https://jasonsgolfcarts.com/product/e-z-go-rxv-speed-sensor-kit-oem/
Can this encoder simulate hall effect and should there be three signals? In the configuration app for the Kelly controller there is Hall A, B and C, but only A and B toogles between 0 and 1 when motor is rotated by hand.

OK, i see, it seems to be a brushed shunt wound motor setup. Not sure if the Kelly can drive that. You can send Fany at kelly controller a mail (sales@kelly-controls.com) and ask for this and help with the general setup (if it's a possible match).

What is clear though is that you don't need any hall sensors or hall signals, these are used for brushless commutation while the stock motor is brushed so no sensors are needed for commutation. I guess the encoder is used for a better speed control but i know only what i read just now about shunt wound motors. I think Amberwolf here at ES knows about them though but start first with Fany.

Kelly did a pre-configuration of the controller before it was sent to me. They got the motor data and the setup for the old controller so there should be no question whether it is compatible or not.
Have been in contact with Fany a couple of times, but will try again in order to sort this out.

Anyhow, thank's for the answers.

Got this answer from Kelly:

"There are only encoder A and B signal wire on encoder.
So Hall C is not used at all. As you can see,there are only four wires on encoder connector.
They are 12V+,A,B and GND signal wires."

Had to change the combination of the settings for Exchange Encoder phase and
Exchange Motor Phase. Once this was done the motor started running in normal speed.

Back